Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Twins  (Read 184643 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Sure glad they pulled Berrios!! :bonk:
« Last Edit: October 10/05/23, 08:29:18 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
No time set for Twins game on Saturday. Only one set is Baltimore and Texas at 12:00 noon. Guessing it will be after that at 3:30.

American will be on Fox
National on TBS
« Last Edit: October 10/05/23, 08:37:37 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Game 1: Twins at Astros, Saturday, Oct. 7 at 3:45 p.m. (FOX/FS1)
Game 2: Twins at Astros, Sunday, Oct. 8 at 7:03 p.m.  (FOX/FS1)
Game 3: Astros at Twins, Tuesday, Oct. 10 at 3:07 p.m. (FOX)
Game 4: Astros at Twins, Wednesday, Oct. 11* (Time TBD)
Game 5: Twins at Astros, Friday, Oct. 13* (Time TBD)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Sure glad they pulled Berrios!! :bonk:
Yep, kinda when like the Ruskies pulled Tretiak in the 1980 olympic hockey game.  :happy1: :rotflmao: :woot:

Berrios only had something like 50 pitches, right?

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Pitchers.....My Guess....

Ryan vs Verlander in game 1

Lopez in game 2

Gray in game 3

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Vikings and Chiefs....3:30 on Sunday

Twins vs Astros at 7:00 Sunday

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gonna be a big day for us Minnesotans.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
OR... the biggest let down in MN sports history since the Twins finally broke their 18 game post-season losing streak.

Maybe I better get off the bandwagon with KOD :kiss: and find something else to do that day.  ;)
Twins...  I like their chances.  :happy1:  Vikes against the defending Superbowl champs...  not so much.   :pouty:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Twins pickoff play......I saw that they had practiced it. With the catcher, pitcher and shortstop all having those speakers in their hats, they called for it. The bullpen has them also so they were all on their feet watching it.

They called for it then because the third base coach watches for that and yells at the runner when the shortstop moves towards second base. Well the crowd was so loud that he couldn't hear him and he got caught. Great play. :bonk: :bonk:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Twins pickoff play......Well the crowd was so loud that he couldn't hear him and he got caught. Great play.
Well, A-Rod was quick to point out that getting picked off 2nd was Little League 101, and he wasn't wrong, but as you pointed out - while there might not be excuses for bad things happening, there are reasons.   :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya that was fun as heck.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Pitchers.....My Guess....

Ryan vs Verlander in game 1

Lopez in game 2

Gray in game 3
:scratch: The MLB Network seemed to think that there was a chance of Ober getting the Game 1 start, as of yday.  :confused: I couldn't find anywhere this AM where Rocco had named his starters yet.
« Last Edit: October 10/06/23, 06:11:21 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought Ober was pretty good in his last start, but then I think it was only against the A's, yes?

I can see why some talking heads and pundits might try to get ahead of the power curve and predict someone other than Ryan for the Game 1 start - trying to be smarter than everyone else in the room - since Ryan does have that tendency to serve up those first inning taters.

At first they blamed Ryan for hiding an injury, they gave him some time off, and when Ryan came back, he was a bit better again.  But lately I think he as been slipping back and has served up some crushable pitches.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
He's gave up 5 HRs in his last 4 starts but 3 of those came @ Coors Field so...................  :rolleyes: Given up 13 earned runs in his last 3 games too, but again 6 of those were in Colorado.  :scratch: :confused:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That's why managers get paid the big bucks - they live and die by making tough decisions - like when or if to start Ryan.  Perhaps Ryan will have a short leash with Ober being asked to be ready at any time.

And speaking of being ready at any time...

I was wondering why we didn't see The Pagan in the first two games - it was a sprinkling of Varland into Theilbar and Jax into Duran both times.  I was wondering if he might be hurt, but the other theory I shared with my wife was validated in the 9th inning of game two.

When Pagan didn't come into the 8th inning of either game I wondered if Baldelli was saving him in case "Doo-Ran" didn't have his best control - or they had to go to extra innings.  Turns out Baldelli had Pagan warming up in the 9th while Duran was misfiring on all those high fast balls.  But Duran brought it back under control and finished the game.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, Pagan has been about their steadiest guy out of bullpen since about late July/early August IMO. After his early season struggles, they convinced him he needed another off-speed breaking pitch & that's about the time he got it figured out. I'm not sure if it's a Cutter or a Splitfinger, but he's been much more effective since he's started throwing it. :happy1:
« Last Edit: October 10/06/23, 12:32:51 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually, I just looked at his stats for the season & it looks like it was just after the ASG that he started using the new pitch.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And now with Duran throwing his curve for strikes...  103 mph FB, 87 mph curve ball.   :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I about put it on mute though when I heard A-Rod in the booth!! :puke:  :angry2: :banghead: :banghead:

Former Twin A.J. Pierzynski will be an analyst alongside former Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright for the Twins-Astros series.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
wife bought tickets for Tuesdays game!
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Bailey Ober will take the mound Saturday for the Twins in Game 1 against the Astros in the American League Division Series.

Ober was left off the wild-card roster because he pitched in the regular season finale, so he is fully rested to start Saturday against Astros ace Justin Verlander.

Joe Ryan was scheduled to start a potential do-or-die Game 3 if it was necessary. Twins manager Rocco Baldelli apparently had second thoughts about starting Ryan against the Astros, who he faced twice in 2023 and gave up nine runs in 10 total innings.
« Last Edit: October 10/06/23, 02:59:35 PM by KEN W »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for Ober.  He did what they asked him to do, worked hard, and earned his spot.

These are the problems managers like to have.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I about put it on mute though when I heard A-Rod in the booth!! :puke:  :angry2: :banghead: :banghead:

Former Twin A.J. Pierzynski will be an analyst alongside former Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright for the Twins-Astros series.
:happy1: :cool: Seen that earlier too, Adam Amin will be doing the play-by-play.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
They had their chances early against the HOF'er but the DPs changed that. :rolleyes: You can't throw 1st pitch fastballs to Altuve there either. Alvarez's was a lot lower but still right down the middle. :pouty: They still made a game of it. Hope Lopez is sharp today. :cheerleader:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
They had Verlander where they could get him. His breaking pitches were all over the place. The only strikes he could throw were fastballs. Can't hit into DP's when you have the chance to knock him out in the first couple innings.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I feel the Twins could have had about a dozen more walks the way Verlander was pictching. He hardly threw a strike it seemed.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That may prove to be the difference in the series...  Astros lineup is good top to bottom, Twins lineup - although hitting much better since the all start break, still has a lot of strikeout in them. 

Correa's power seems to be all dried up.  He doesn't even hit many line drive shots to the outfield.  Everything seems to be dribblers to the left side of the infield that sometimes make it thru cause you can't shift anymore.  :sad:  But man, can he play SS!   :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually, Taylor hit his DP ball pretty hard, it was just right at Pena. :doah: