Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Twins  (Read 107810 times)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Twins trade Urshella to the Angels for a pitching prospect.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.

Seriously? They have less pitching than the Twins, unless Falvey got Ohtani it was just a money deal. Not wanting to pay Urshela
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Angels 20th prospect. Also acquired shortstop Kyle Farmer from the Reds.
« Last Edit: November 11/18/22, 09:59:36 PM by KEN W »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Seriously? They have less pitching than the Twins, unless Falvey got Ohtani it was just a money deal. Not wanting to pay Urshela
He is eligible for arbitration but not a FA 'til after next year so that could easily be part of it but more PT for Miranda is probably a bigger part IMO.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
For the record......being the top 20 prospect for the Angels is like being the #9 quarterback for the Gophers.

They gave a legitimate player away.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya gotta give up something to get something, and last season we saw what they are giving up in Urshela.

Falvey and Levine's track record of brining in pitchers isnt any better than the previous regime.

Maybe they see something in Hildago that none of the other MLB scouts see, so they better be right about this guy.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Urshela & Sanchez came back in the Donaldson salary dump. The kid they got is 19 and throws the ball hard but has no idea where it's going.

Another Falvey deal throwing mud against the wall hoping some sticks. Now for the next 6-7 years he can talk about the great arm we have coming while trotting out Archer every 5th day for 2 2/3 innings long after his prime.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought i saw they declined the $10M contract option for Archer.

No doubt they will find someone else who will be able to fill Archers shoes.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Yes Archer is gone. I just used him as a example for this past year.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Urshela got $6.55 mil last year & with the season he had he should get a nice raise by going to arbitration. Miranda's rookie deal is for $700k/yr so they can save $6+ mil & have at least 2 more years of control of a guy that improved a bunch at the plate this season. :scratch: I also read recently where the Angels are talking about Urshela possibly being their everyday SS as they have Rendon at 3rd. He is in the middle of $245 mil/7 year deal but has struggled to stay healthy the last 2.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
These are just my opinion. I think they absolutely gave him away. In essence the kid they got is no more than a draft pick. Unless the plan is Arreaz at 1st most of the time I see no point in this other than the cash. I guess we will need to see what the roster looks like on opening day but so far I'm not impressed. You can pile all the cash you want but if you don't get a stud pitcher to sign here (which they won't) or a stud infielder (better chance) then where are ya?

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
New Twins Executive. Jim Pohlad's nephew Joe taking over day to day operations.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I saw that on the baseball network. I don't see any changes on how Pohlad business is done.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Part of me is glad they don't overpay for every free agent on the open market.  Its kinda like buying 10 lottery tickets instead of one.  Yeah, your chances of winning are higher, but not 10 times higher.  A Top 5 payroll might get you to the playoffs more often, but in practice it hasn't translate to World Series dynasties.

The one change I'd like to see them make is A) figure out how to evaluate and develop pitching talent.  I'd like to see them be Top 5 in that department.  And B) when they develop an "ace" starter or reliever, pay them the market value to keep them. 

The Twins can't (or won't) spend as much money as the need to fill the holes, so if they're not going to spend financial capital to get the team over the hump, they need to build equity in player personnel to gain leverage.  What is it that every team does not have enough of?  Pitching.  I would think the best way for a "small market" team to maintain sustainable excellence would be to develop more top-flight pitchers than they need.  Keep the ones you want, trade the prospects to fill other holes.

Yeah, easier said than done, but if the current talent scouts and coaches aren't developing enough pitchers, I think they have to get better in this area.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: That small market team in the AL East from Florida seems to do as good of job of drafting & developing young arms as anybody in MLB IMO. I wonder what they do differently? :confused:
« Last Edit: November 11/30/22, 08:05:32 AM by Gunner55 »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Well.....the big free agent signings are going to start with the winter meetings ending.
Top Free Agent.....Aaron Judge. Where will he sign. The Yankees supposedly have offered $300 million over 8 years. And have said they will go higher in a bidding war. That's A LOT of Dough. Guess is the Giants could get him. He's from the San Fran area. And they have the money to get him.

Twins have no chance at any of the top players. But then we didn't think they could get Correa either.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
deGrom just signed 5 years $185 with Texas. Twinks I think were runners-up at $3 million per for 3 years plus incentives.

They were O so close.   ;)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Between these sports figures and CEO's getting these gluttonous amounts of money no wonder the we are in such financial trouble.  Hospitals are running a hundred million in the red each year and the CEOs are getting 140 million a year.  What is wrong with that.  How about paying them and these players tops of 10 million a year. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Pro sports teams are selling for BILLIONS these days. Healthcare mergers are a yearly occurrence. Don't for one second think anybody is losing any money. Remember the old adage........"figures don't lie if liars don't figure."

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
A source with knowledge of the situation says that Arraez is available if the trade helps Minnesota's pitching staff. Dan Hayes of The Athletic was the first to report about Arraez being available, saying the Twins "have discussed trading" Arraez as part of their "constant search for top-tier pitching."

Don't think fans would like this. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 12/06/22, 02:20:03 PM by KEN W »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I would think that everyone is always on the table for trades (as long as there are no-trade clauses).

I don't want to see him go either, but it is easier (for the Twins at least) to draft/develop position players than it is for them to develop top pitchers.  I just hate to see them get the short end of the stick so often when they trade for pitching.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Tis the season for all the click & comment guys to toss out every conceivable player option with no regard for being right.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Tis the season for all the click & comment guys to toss out every conceivable player option with no regard for being right.
yeah, yer right...  typical non-story story.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Twins lose 3 players to waivers, 2 others cut from roster

The Twins lost three players on the waiver wire Tuesday.

Outfielder Jake Cave was claimed by the Orioles, infielder Jermaine Palacios was claimed by the Tigers, and catcher Caleb Hamilton was claimed by the Red Sox. The Twins also removed two pitchers from the 40-man roster: Devin Smeltzer and Jhon Romero.

Cave, 29, played in 54 games this season and slashed .213/.260/.384 with five homers, three triples, seven doubles and 20 RBIs.

Smeltzer was a starter in 12 of his 15 appearances this season. The 27-year-old lefty posted a 3.71 ERA in 70 1/3 innings.

Palacios played in 30 games at the big-league level and hit .143.

Hamilton hit .056 in 23 plate appearances with the Twins.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Cave signed with the Phillies.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We liked Cave. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
We liked Cave.
He would have fit in well when the Twins featured "The Paranas"

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Twins sign catcher Christian Vasquez to 3 year.....$30 million contract. Needed to after letting Gary Sanchez go.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Didn't know they let Sanchez go, kind of figured they would though.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
A couple of the websites I checked had Vasquez ranked 2nd among free agent catchers.  :happy1: