Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What are you drinking?  (Read 8145 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
pfeiffers.......3 cases fer 10 bucks back in the day!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: yea i drank a few.

back in the day........... my uncle who lives in bloomington was a high school math teacher...in the summer he worked at the schmidt brewery...they had the pfeiffers brand. he basiclly said when they ran out of the schmidt bottles, they'd put it in the pfeiffer bottles.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A couple of my buddies in college used to drink Pfeiffers. Their motto was "No two taste the same!" We bought a bunch of Hamm's in twist off glass bottles from Sharret's on University and Raymond. $2.10 a 12 pack and there was like a $.75 return on them. It was like they were paying us to drink it. Drank lots of Schmidt back when it was still Schmidt. They were major contributors to the barley breeding program at the U once upon a time. My fave tho was Special Ex. We'd have our quarterly end of the quarter party in our basement apartment on Brewster St. We'd get 2 16's of Special Ex and finish 'em off with an 8 of Schlitz Bull. Guaranteed to end badly. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like it would badly too!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
A couple of my buddies in college used to drink Pfeiffers. Their motto was "No two taste the same!" We bought a bunch of Hamm's in twist off glass bottles from Sharret's on University and Raymond. $2.10 a 12 pack and there was like a $.75 return on them. It was like they were paying us to drink it. Drank lots of Schmidt back when it was still Schmidt. They were major contributors to the barley breeding program at the U once upon a time. My fave tho was Special Ex. We'd have our quarterly end of the quarter party in our basement apartment on Brewster St. We'd get 2 16's of Special Ex and finish 'em off with an 8 of Schlitz Bull. Guaranteed to end badly.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:well......that does explain alot of things!!!!!!!!1 :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

since the alltime blizzard is shortly upon us i should be safe from my mailbox dripping for a while......... :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/21/23, 12:45:53 PM by glenn57 »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
We my dad and the next door neighbor used to make a beer run to Mendota Heights for that 3 f'er $10 deal.  In the early 70s they'd fill the trunk of an old Plymouth Fury or Buick LeSabre depending on who drove.  I went along for the sucker.

(I remember when the neighbor's daughter bought a Olds Cutlass that had a trunk much smaller than the Fury - he called it the Buttless Cutlass.  But I digress.)

I remember hearing that story about the Pfeiffer's and Schmidt too.  I don't know though.  :scratch: Pfeiffer's always had more of a bite than Schmidt, but that mean it didn't never happen.  I always liked the unsubstantiated variant of the story that said Pfeiffer's came from the bottom of the Schmidt vats.  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We my dad and the next door neighbor used to make a beer run to Mendota Heights for that 3 f'er $10 deal.  In the early 70s they'd fill the trunk of an old Plymouth Fury or Buick LeSabre depending on who drove.  I went along for the sucker.

(I remember when the neighbor's daughter bought a Olds Cutlass that had a trunk much smaller than the Fury - he called it the Buttless Cutlass.  But I digress.)

I remember hearing that story about the Pfeiffer's and Schmidt too.  I don't know though.  :scratch: Pfeiffer's always had more of a bite than Schmidt, but that mean it didn't never happen.  I always liked the unsubstantiated variant of the story that said Pfeiffer's came from the bottom of the Schmidt vats.  :rotflmao:
my uncle swore by that process!!!!!! :scratch:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
My fave tho was Special Ex. We'd have our quarterly end of the quarter party in our basement apartment on Brewster St. We'd get 2 16's of Special Ex and finish 'em off with an 8 of Schlitz Bull. Guaranteed to end badly.
There was always one Special Ex guy in every crowd.  When I moved into my house in 93 the neighbor across the street was still a Special Ex guy.  I never cared much for Ex, but don't get me wrong, I still drank his Green Death and lived to tell about it.  :drinking:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The one Special Ex kegger we had was straight out of Animal House. People puking & peeing in front of the apartment. Old ladies banging on the floor above us with their broomsticks to get us to turn the tunes down. One of our married friends left the party with a large breasted woman, not his wife. Smashed his car into a power pole. When he got home he peed on the bedroom floor. His wife never let him come to one of our parties again.

One beer I really liked & bought whenever I found it was Schmidt Extra Special. Only bought the returnable bottles altho I vaguely remember it also in cream colored cans. Last time I saw it was in the late 80's when I got a case in Owatonna. A lot of turmoil & upheaval in the brewing industry since then. Have no idea who owns what anymore.  :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Remember the Schmidts wide mouth bottle? Early Saturday mornings drink 1/4 of that and top it off with Boones Farm Tickle Pink wine. The breakfast of champions many, many a softball tournament weekend.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Fondly. Did many a 6 pack of Big Mouths between Calvin & Rugby ND on my way home Friday nites. Could shave with those bottle tops or at very least slice your finger off. Schmidt Light was popular too back in those days for those of us watching our girlish figures (or not).

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Yeah, sliced up many a finger tip with the Schmitty Big Mouth tops in my day!! :rolleyes:  :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Basically I drink anything I can get my mitts on, especially today. Today marks 23 years since I smoked my last Pall Mall.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Congrats Roony and what a wise decision to quit them.  I quit in 1987 and was ready.  I had quit many times and didn't stick.  When my new truck started to stink like an ashtray it gave me more reason to quit. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I had quit several times. They were very addicting for me.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Basically I drink anything I can get my mitts on, especially today. Today marks 23 years since I smoked my last Pall Mall.

:happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Pall Malls killed my dad. Or maybe it was the stress of going to work everyday and trying to raise a family while working 2 jobs.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
mywife went into st cloud today, stopped at cashwise to get some goodies. she said someones bottle of booze rang up to $248.00!!!! :surrender: :surrender: :doah: and had to go to the back room to get it!!!!!!! holy crap!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My tastes are not that refined! I'll stick to my Old Grand Dad.

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Usually the same drinks. Grain Belt Premium, Jim Beam or, on special occasions, Crown Royal.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
mywife went into st cloud today, stopped at cashwise to get some goodies. she said someones bottle of booze rang up to $248.00!!!! :surrender: :surrender: :doah: and had to go to the back room to get it!!!!!!! holy crap!!!!!!

Sounds like it was a Tuesday night beer run.
I went to go stock up on beer and noticed yesterday that the price on 4 of the fancy 12 packs I buy went up from $15 to $20? I asked what gives? They said, “well the 6 packs are $12 so this is more in line with that price.” No crap. That is why I bought the 12 pack instead of the 6. They were way cheaper.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
This time of year we always had homemade Tom and Jerry's.  I will look for the recipe.  They are good but man they warm you up.  Pretty sweet too so can't drink a lot of them but the first one or two are great. Been a family tradition for many decades.  Mix with a combo of rum, brandy, or even whiskey.  My Grandma and Grandpa started it.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
This time of year we always had homemade Tom and Jerry's.  I will look for the recipe.  They are good but man they warm you up.  Pretty sweet too so can't drink a lot of them but the first one or two are great. Been a family tradition for many decades.  Mix with a combo of rum, brandy, or even whiskey.  My Grandma and Grandpa started it.
Sre those the ones with Ice cream in them. My nieghbor made those a couple years ago. Boy what a night that was.  :happy1:  :doofus:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No it is a mixture of eggs, vanilla, sugar, nutmeg etc.  Put some almost boiling water in a cup add a big shot of booze and then a big dollop of this and stir it in.  Will warm you right up.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: :happy1:yeppers.....bough t3 cases of good beer on sale and a $15.00rebate to boot. got a bottle of vodka and a $5.00 rebate. thats an extra case of beer!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happybounce:

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just this morning scored a bottle of Blantons, had to purchase $100 worth of stuff to qualify so I grabbed a bottle of piggy back and a Willet Pot Still, so I'm set for a little while. I wish I could have got there earlier I missed out on the Stagg.  :angry2:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I prefer Manhattans.  A family favorite of Dad, Uncles, and brothers.  I use Paul Masson Grand Amber but will use what ever is available.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just this morning scored a bottle of Blantons, had to purchase $100 worth of stuff to qualify so I grabbed a bottle of piggy back and a Willet Pot Still, so I'm set for a little while. I wish I could have got there earlier I missed out on the Stagg.  :angry2:
:scratch: :scratch: :doah:i know its the holidays John but a little early in tha day aint it???? :shocked: :rolleyes: :drinking: :tequila; :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: :doah:i know its the holidays John but a little early in tha day aint it???? :shocked: :rolleyes: :drinking: :tequila; :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!  :bonk:  No bottles have been opened as of yet.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Jack and pepsi guy.
But,may have a new favorite sippin borboun thanks to the wife!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Captain & Pepsi.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN