Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: driveway fix  (Read 2412 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
didn think this fit in lawn and garden, so........

i'm thinking of having my driveway redone this summer. its in really bad shape. any opinions on asphalt or cement!! anyone know what the price difference would be????

i measured it up yesterday. it would be roughly 820 sq ft. think its 21 x 39 ft!!!! i'm kinda leaning to asphalt, its what it currently is. i see alot of cement ones around. reason i like the asphalt is the driveway faces to the west of the house and the sun does a nice job of melting off all the snow!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Cement if you intend to live there a long time. Asphalt if you want to seal and repair it periodically. It's going to be a pile of dough either way.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
glenn, last Summer concrete for garage aprons, ect. was about $5.50 to $6.00 a square foot. That, I'm sure, has gone a bit for this year. I think blacktop may a little less. Good luck. I'm going to have a couple of local contractors bid a concrete apron and blacktop driveway at my place in a few weeks if it ever dries up enough. I'm looking at over 7,000 square feet, wanna trade bills? I may end up only doing half of the driveway this year. We will see. :happy1:
mm

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
This will apply to some but not all. If you ever have semi's (or heavy farm machinery) on the driveway they will destroy the outside edge of asphalt.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
glenn, last Summer concrete for garage aprons, ect. was about $5.50 to $6.00 a square foot. That, I'm sure, has gone a bit for this year. I think blacktop may a little less. Good luck. I'm going to have a couple of local contractors bid a concrete apron and blacktop driveway at my place in a few weeks if it ever dries up enough. I'm looking at over 7,000 square feet, wanna trade bills? I may end up only doing half of the driveway this year. We will see. :happy1:
thanks Mark.......gives me a starting point!!!!!!

dutchy.....the heaviest thing i should have on my driveway will be my boat with a bunch of big fish in it!!!!!! :evil: :sleazy: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :laughroll: :laughroll:                             
« Last Edit: April 04/24/22, 06:40:25 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I should be receiving my quote for asphalt in a few days, I’ll let you know the price I got per sq/ft.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Years ago our neighborhood was invaded with a blacktop contractor saying we would all get great deals since they were already in the neighborhood.  They got their blacktop at the same place we got it from when I worked for the city there.  There price was almost quadruple to what the best blacktopping company in the area charged.  So get more than one quote. 

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulleye, be sure to ask how thick the compacted asphalt is they put down. My guy said they do a 3" compacted surface. That's a lot more than the 3/4" surface I have now that got tore up last year by the concrete and lumber trucks while building my garage. I knew we would have a screwed up driveway after that project and had planned on replacing the driveway before we started. Good luck. :happy1:
mm

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks Markn for the advice…what else should I ask?how much class 5 as well? 

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Got my quote today. ~1425sqft. 4-6” of class 5 with 2.5” of dura drive asphalt mix. $7k

Full disclosure, plan on moving in 5 years. Would like a functional driveway again without potholes and without breaking the bank. What to do…

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulleye, Can i ask what the price of just the blacktop was? Just curious. Thanks.
mm

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Pulleye, Can i ask what the price of just the blacktop was? Just curious. Thanks.

unfortunately, they did not break the quote down.  I need to ensure it's 2.5" COMPACT.