Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fishing opener  (Read 5850 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Any chance the DNR might delay the opener in the northern part of the state to protect the spawning walleyes? I stopped to check the creek that runs from spring lake to Jessie, twice and didn't see a fish. Our lake shows no sign of opening up soon unless the weather changes fast.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, who would take walleyes when they're spawning?   :scratch: :doah: :angry:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Mother nature may delay it. But the DNR sure won't.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
3t of I ce cap yet
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, who would take walleyes when they're spawning?   :scratch: :doah: :angry:
boar!!! :confused: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They let people harass them up here in the spring so doesn't seem to matter to the DNR

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
As Much as I like to fish on late ice. I wish they would close the season on LOTW March 31st and not open it until the Saturday of Memorial weekend. And drop the limit to 4 of any combination. And limit the ice roads to no more than 10 miles off shore.
« Last Edit: April 04/28/22, 03:41:22 PM by Jerkbiat »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
As Much as I like to fish on late ice. I wish they would close the season on LOTW March 31st and not open it until the Saturday of Memorial weekend. And drop the limit to 4 of any combination. And limit the ice roads to no more than 10 miles off shore.

I'm guessing the resorts would contribute a BIG pile of money to stop that. I wonder what they pay Joe Henry to be pumping LOTW all over the media?
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
ya, no kidding. That is one guy I would like to put a gag on.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
He's doing what they are paying him to do, although I think ultimately they are hurting the resource. A lot of pressure up there, especially in the winter.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Opener gona be interesti g
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yuppers. The boats will be packed in the gap like sardines like 2013.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Fishing Opener to a fisherman is like New Years Eve to a drinker. Amateur Hour

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The older I get, the more "fair weather fisherman" I've become. Not a fan of opener (we typically go the second weekend) and it's never "great" fishing. I prefer a mid June to July 4th.

I have a turkey tag to fill so I'm kinda hoping for ice up north still so I can get out in the woods vs the lake. Yeah...I'm that guy!
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hopefully it is nice out on the opener.  The wife usually sits in the boat with me and the boys here close to home for awhile and then she gets antsy and likes to build a fire.  Some years we catch fish some we don't.  When I see the smoke I know she is in her element.  I eventually go and sit with her by the fire.  Makes for a great day!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We will go for a boat ride if it's a nice day, just to get out. May even wet a line if 1 of my early spots isn't too busy.  :fish2: or no :fish2: isn't really a deal breaker for us.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't been out for opener in about 20 years. Maybe some year we will again.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ever since we got the Zeebs, the single day visitors have gotten fewer here. Lots of bars, humps, & flats here too so the lake has a reputation for often being tough to fish. Besides, Bowstring is just a hop, skip, & a jump away. It gets pounded all year long as it's known for being pretty easy to figure out.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ottertail had lots of humps, ridges, flats etc.  I really like fishing that stuff.  Not a lot of that on the river or the lake neither actually.  A 2' change in depth is structure here.  Kind of boring for a guy like me but it is all fun. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
There are actually a fair amount of reefs on this side of the lake. Some even semi close. Like Graceton, Zipple. Long point has 4 or 5 reefs. Then you head west and north from there. And then up at the angle. It is a long haul for you though LPS.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I want to get out on the lake a few times this summer.  Wait for a nice day and bring lunch along too. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i didnt think they delay opener..its all about the $$$$$$. the resorts would throw a fit....but if all this 4 limit talk, and  people whining about red and LOTW's being beat up...................

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Red ia fine. LOT is hurtin.

78.50"

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I want to get out on the lake a few times this summer.  Wait for a nice day and bring lunch along too.

How busy is the river in the summer? Any good Pike areas or do you need to fish the lake for them. I'm guessing most of the summer river traffic is locals, guys that live on the river?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can be busier some days but not like the lake.  Can catch pike while fishing for walleyes or near shoreline weeds.  I usually find a place to anchor and fish with jigs and frozen shiners.  Keep moving around hoping to find them.  Best bite is right before dark.  That is pretty late in mid summer so I like it best in the fall. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Thanks.

Although I've fished a lot of Mille Lacs, Kab, Namakin & Rainy the last 20 years my heart really is in fishing rivers. Hard to beat a slow lazy drift downstream on a sunny day. Catching is always secondary for me anyway.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup I just like being in my boat. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Mee to. Even just sitting in the garage sometimes.  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mee to. Even just sitting in the garage sometimes.  :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: I like fishing to but not that much!!! :shocked: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, you guys stay home, I'll let ya know if der bitin!!  :happy1: