Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bullheads.  (Read 3731 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Buddy calls me up and wants to go fishing for bullheads. Sounds great. I guess. I've never fished for bullheads before. He lives in Pipestone County, I live in Blue Earth County. Is either one of them good or bad for bullheads?
      Does this call for lighter gear than my regular catfishing gear? Watched a few videos and didn't see anything special. Am I missing something? He says he knows how to clean and cook them.
      I'm kind of looking forward to trying this. What is good bait? I've seen people use crawlers, red worms, corn, soft plastics, lots of other baits.
      Wonder why I have never done this before.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Bullheads aka muffinous Glennous, dont care ive used walleye rigs and couldnt leep them off.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
bull heads any where where you live!!!  ask Waterville!!!!   they used to have bull head days!!!  Minneopa creek, by the state park, was full of them... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
A plain hook with a gob of any worm and a sinker on the bottom will work. If there pawing even under a bobber works.

There awesome smoked.  :happy1:

Hey boar.   :mooning: :mooning:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to use small leeches fishin for them years ago.  Good luck!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
angle worms are that's needed!!!  bully up!!!   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Fun as heck to sit in a lawn chair and fish for bullheads.  Crawlers and laying on the bottom is how we did it. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Used to be an annual rite of spring seeing Winnebago's with blue license plates (IA) parked at the Morristown dam. Bullheads bite on just about anything when they're biting including sweet corn. Ticked us off when we were trying to catch sunnies. When I was a kid, my buddy's family had a summer cabin on 1st Crow Wing. Went fishing on several openers there. One time he said watch this. Put a booger on his hook and within seconds he had a bullhead.  :doah:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
lol Dotch,that's a new one, spring cold water bullies are the best for table fare,as water warms they tend to taste muddy,get mushy,canned sweet corn in my days,bullheads and carp love sweet corn.
« Last Edit: May 05/09/22, 10:55:12 AM by snow1 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That must have been one heck of a bugger.   LOL

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to have some that must've been almost 2#s here, before the Zeebs. Put a spinner/crawler on in the Spring & they'd almost rip the pole out of your hand. Still see some schools of little bullhead minnows every year but don't catch any big ones anymore.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
I went out and spent $1,000 for a good bullhead rod & reel combo. I lied. I put some 6# mono on an old Zebco micro on a 5-1/2' rod. Filled a little Plano box with some sinkers and hooks. Now I just need to dig through the compost pile for some happy little worms.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I can almost smell that li'l Plano box filled with sinkers and hooks now.  Maybe even a few Mister Twisters melted into a compartment.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No cane pole?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
brotjher and i pulled a many a bullhead out of the chain in our younger years. they put in a channel by hwy 23......near what is now channel marine and pulled a ton out of there as well when they were spawning. we ate well on smoked bullheads!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember I used hooks with long shanks so it was easier to get them out of the bullheads. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember I used hooks with long shanks so it was easier to get them out of the bullheads.
  :happy1: yep.and we never left home for a bullhead adventure without the mouth spreader and hook remover....well and a can of earthworms.......we dug legally by the way!!!!!!  :rolleyes: :sleazy: :evil:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
long nosed plyers here..

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Make sure you save some for bait on the river, don't catfish like bullheads???

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Roony, I do have one of those B&M Black Widow extendable poles sitting in the fur shed doing nothing. Wish you hadn't said that. Now I'm thinking.

Bobberineyes, I see there is an article on catfishing in my June Fur-Fish-Game.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
TT... Is that fur- fish and game Minnesota specific??? Think years ago I got that magazine and liked it. Not sure why I quit??

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Bobber, the big flatheads do!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
TT... Is that fur- fish and game Minnesota specific??? Think years ago I got that magazine and liked it. Not sure why I quit??
They use big words Glenn.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Glenn57, it is not state specific. I can't remember which magazine was state specific. I used to get Outdoor News but it got too expensive for me.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to live for catfishing on the St. Croix.  Had a 32' houseboat that I parked for the weekends on my favorite cat spots.  Caught some over 35 but didn't break 40 that I remember.  I have caught maybe 2 bullheads on the river here and not one catfish.  Hard to believe that this big watershed had no catfish in it.  Maybe that is a good thing????

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Barry you really have lived a lot of different places

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My first wife and I lived a block from where we had the house boat on the river.  I worked for the City of Mahtomedi when I lived there.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      Glenn57, it is not state specific. I can't remember which magazine was state specific. I used to get Outdoor News but it got too expensive for me.
thinking about it now I think the one I used to get was called Minnesota fins and feathers??? Think it went belly up ? :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to read that and Fur Fish and Game. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The Google doesn't say much about Minnesota Fins and Feathers.  I did find a reference to a lawsuit appeals case from 1985 where the magazine owed a printer a bunch of money.  I guess that explains why they ain't around and gives some sort of a time frame for how long they've been gone.

but Fur-Fish-Game is still alive and kicking.  Fur-Fish Game:  Current Issue