Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Road Trip!  (Read 2546 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
After all of the hail, high winds and rain....I figured it was time for a road trip.
I'm heading to the north shore, tomorrow morning... we'll see what I can catch in the rivers of superior.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Happy trails HD and good luck!! :fishing: :fish2: :fish2:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Bring clothes, that wind is gonna be cold coming off the lake.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Good luck. Stay warm
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Great idea H.D. been years since I fished steelhead,fished every river back in the hay days from duluth to grand marais,always a good time.

Don't forget to stop at "Russ Kendals" smoked fish house in two harbors,best darn brown sugar lake trout and smoked cisco's.safe travels.

The old french river fishery if ya stop will give you a clue if the fish are still running,birds eye view from the hwy 61 bridge going over the river tells the story.

Locals will be fishing at the mouth,some using corks and spawn sacks,or that's what we used years ago.

Every once in awhile I would float a crawler in a hideaway feeder stream once the steelhead runs were over and stick some dandy coaster brookies,some pushing 20"s but water temps need to be in the 40's
« Last Edit: May 05/10/22, 09:06:23 AM by snow1 »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Have fun HD. Good luck!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Fishing was better than being at work....

A lot of the rivers parking lots were closed, they had crews removing graffiti and painting. The ones that were open, were packed with people. All of the rivers had muddy water from the rains yesterday. All of the fishermen I talked to got skunked. There was some ice still on the lake that I could see (I tried to get a picture of it, just past the big boat) There were quite a few smaller craft out trolling. Anyways,
I don't like fishing shoulder to shoulder...so,
 I went WAY up the shore to find a river to fish. Even after that, the fishermen started to filter to the one I was on....needless to say, I headed back home around 1:00, but I did make a stop at the smoke shop for some fish.

Like I said, it was way better than being at work!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That does sound fun HD.  And you got to see a ship.  That is a big plus to me. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Bring clothes, that wind is gonna be cold coming off the lake.
I would hope HD normally wears clothes.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Or not.  Remember his ice fishing picture?  Half nude in that one.  he didn't show us the bottom half thankfully.  LOL

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice H.D,thanx for sharing,I agreegetting away from the crowd,my fav river was just outof two harbors,parked about 1 mile up from the lake on a side road,(local spot) hiked down a powerline trail to the river's head waters,well was head waters until the dnr blew steps in the water falls so the steelhead could travel further up river to the next water falls to spawn,during a good fish run it was really cool to watch the fish jump the steps in slow motion,always thought about trying to catch one mid air with my fish landing net they were that close in mid air....those days are long gone,infact I'm told steelhead runs are long over,today it's the hybrid kamloops.

Did you stop at the knife river parking lot off the hiway to check out the closed to fishing area below the falls? curious if folks were fishing below the closed area like usual,if so good sign fish are still in the river's.
« Last Edit: May 05/11/22, 09:16:04 AM by snow1 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I liked fishing the sucker, but there were NO parking spots. I did stop at the knife and talked to a couple fishers. Heavy mud, and no fish. I also like fishing the Stewart, but that one was closed for construction. I just kept driving till I seen less traffic, I stopped at every river/stream to check it out.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah the sucker get's hit hard...just up the road is the little sucker,just enough water flow to develope a small mud line in spring,always caught bows/lake trout shore casting cleo's even in the fall when pinks are running we would stop and shore fish,never seen one other person fishing there over the years.

Stewart was always my favorite,way back south of the dnr steps about a 1/2 mile is a feeder stream worth checking out,special regs as steelhead had spawning rightsspecial DNR regulation sign at the mouth as the stream feeds the stewart river (gotta cross the stewart rive to access this stream),little falls/pool up from the stewart ,nice quiet little spot,evening brook trout and splak surface feeding occurs.

Is betty pies still open on the stewart? curious.

Any smelting going on? Once I figured out the steelhead run the best time to fish those streams occured when smelt were running.Water temps were right
« Last Edit: May 05/16/22, 08:43:38 AM by snow1 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup Betty's Pies is still open.....and yes, the smelt are running. I stopped at Park Point that night and they were netting them. Nobody is selling.... but they are netting.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Just my opinion, but Betty’s ain’t what it used to be.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Pics from the north shore made the news last night,I guess the rivers are running high and wild like you said H.D. yikes,what a mess.

years ago when we had steelhead runs and a 5 fish bag limit up n down the north shore one could belly up to a good old fashioned smelt fry,the legion in two harbors was my fav,kinda like a keg party.basket of beer battered minnows and a bottemless glass of keg beer or soda to suit your fancy,this was after two harbors being a dry town.

Sad to hear about betty's thanx for the feedback F.W.
« Last Edit: May 05/16/22, 08:41:04 AM by snow1 »