Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Just another exciting day hunting  (Read 1948 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I took my brother-in-law turkey hunting yesterday afternoon. We hunted out of the shed. Around 7 PM Two toms walked out past the camper at 10 yards. I'm saying shoot one. My BIL aims forever. I started video still saying shoot shoot as the turkeys slowly walk away. He says something about the safety and the gun not shooting while I's saying give me the damn gun and I will shoot one I'm still pleading shoot shoot. The turkeys were wondering what all the yelling was about. Finally a shot but by then they may have been 40 yards away and I have no idea where he shot. Being they were headed down hill I would guess he shot over them. Or maybe in the ground. Both birds ran away. He later said he tried to shoot several times but realized the safety was on. Then he couldn't figure out how to take it off. Two toms at 10 yards and they walked away unscathed. I guess there is such a thing as "turkey fever".   :rotflmao:

The 2 toms were on the road and walked past the fire pit towards the decoys. I could almost reach out and grab one by the neck.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Haha,,D.E. sounds like "buck fever" rookie needs more field time.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
And now the rest of the story. 

Yes, it was quite the adventure to this point but being a good guide, I wasn't about to give up. I didn't have to much hope for the rest of the evening but figured as long as we were setup we should just stay put. About a half hour later a Tom showed up on the south side of the field about 100 yards to the east. I told my brother-in-law to get ready because I will attempt to call him in. A couple perfectly timed clucks and purrs had him on his way. This time I told my bil to take off the safety point the gun at the turkey and wait until I tell him to shoot. The Tom stopped a few times to display but eventually made his way to within about 20 yards. There he stood with his head stretched out checking out the hen and jake decoys. I said shoot him now with emphasis on the NOW. All was quiet so I again said shoot him before he takes off shoot him. I could just see a repeat of what happened with the last two birds, and I was about to panic when finally boom and the turkey was down. My bil later said he was moving so much he couldn't get the bead to stop on the turkey's head so I guess I should be very happy he got a shot off this time. I really don't know how professional guides do it.  :rotflmao:

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good story.  Now that he got one mayhaps he will not get turkey fever next time.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Cool story DE! Congrats to the BIL!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, tell your BIL congrats and I think it WAS turkey fever the first time out. See you guys in a couple of weeks.  :happy1: :happy1:
mm