Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Very hard winter  (Read 2665 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I knew the winter  was going to be hard on the beaver.  Last fall I trapped one of my favorite duck lakes.  2 years ago I got 50 beaver on it and only trapped 2 of the 4 lodges.  Last fall only 1 off the lodges had water around it.  I only set 2 traps and the next day I pulled the traps.  The 2 beaver I caught each had 50 plus bite marks and half were puss filled. 
     I set traps on Friday and checked Saturday.  While setting traps on a creek I had a beaver come out of a bank den.  I  could see its ribs, spine and hips.  Skinniest beaver I have ever seen.  It allowed me to get about 10 feet away.   I watched it go into a bank den.  I set a 330 at the entrance.   I figured it was a sure thing.  When I came back the next day I had a gigantic otter.  Season for otter is closed so I dropped it off at the DNR office today.
     Out of the 8 lodges I checked all of the lodges had  big holes where the beaver dug out the side of the lodges.  2 of the lodges had  blood circles. From where the coyotes ate well. 
      I had Gavin with me Saturday and he wanted to keep the big otter.  I told him the season was closed and I'm not allowed to trap otter on the refuge.  He said he could tan it for me.  I explained ethics.  I think he understands but we will keep working on it.
     Pulled all my traps.  Disappointing end to the season but i am grateful for being able to share a passion of mine. Looking  forward to open water a d warmer weather.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
More pictures

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thst is a nice sized otter!  was watching one on the ice out in front of the house last night..  it came up a hole and was eating fish...  always fun to see and watch!!!  the lad looks like he's having a good time too!!!    :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
thst is a nice sized otter!  was watching one on the ice out in front of the house last night..  it came up a hole and was eating fish...  always fun to see and watch!!!  the lad looks like he's having a good time too!!!    :happy1:

He is.  Also learning alot.  It was his birthday yesterday and I gave him a muskrat colony trap.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Otter was a 26 pound male.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't understand the bit about the beavers cutting holes in the sides of their houses.  Is that because the underground entrances froze?

And I'm assuming that the holes in the side of the house let the coyotes have access?

Finally, you said the two you trapped had bite marks all over them.  Is that from getting bit when they were trapped, or did they suffer those wounds earlier in the lodge?

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

On a good note, as bad as the winter was for wild life.  I must have counted about 35 Deer running around at mid-day on a drive from the Sandstone area over to Mill Lacs this past weekend!  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya darn nice Otter. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
otter is back out there tonight again!!  fun to watch!!   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can you tell what kind of fish he is eating Mike?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't understand the bit about the beavers cutting holes in the sides of their houses.  Is that because the underground entrances froze?

And I'm assuming that the holes in the side of the house let the coyotes have access?

Finally, you said the two you trapped had bite marks all over them.  Is that from getting bit when they were trapped, or did they suffer those wounds earlier in the lodge?

Think of it like this.  Where their food is stored is only 2 feet deep, and as winter sets in your refrigerator gets much much smaller. And soon the frig is empty and they have a choice.  Starve to death, or leave the safety of the lodge and go to the store in a bad neighborhood.

I dont think the coyotes went into the lodge, but they could sleep in the swamp grass and wait.

Imagine you, Boar, Glenn, Deadeye, and HD all living in the same one bedroom house.  That would be bad.  Now add everyone's wife and kids to the mix.  There might be a few fights.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Can you tell what kind of fish he is eating Mike?

too far away but looked very small... 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a pair of otters out there this morning!!   :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Got some here too, seem 'em in the bay a few times. :cool: Not lately though, so I'm not even sure they're still around.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon