Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hail damage anyone  (Read 3374 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Anyone else get any hail damage from the storms back on May 11/12.  Roofing costs have doubled since 2011.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm not sure, I have some of the brown colored gravel that's been knocked off of the shingles... but no curling like I've seen in the past.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
We lost some shingles on the schoolhouse in Hubbard Co. Wasn't too bad and they are kinda old. Thinking of putting new on, but undecided as far as shingles or steel. Have to wait to see what the estimates come in at. Neighbors will be pissed, going to remove the bell tower and we're not sure if we will fix it up, replace it or scrap it. Maybe a "Donations Jar" is in order. :happy1:
mm

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone else get any hail damage from the storms back on May 11/12.  Roofing costs have doubled since 2011.

Ain't that the truth,my ins company came in with a low ball $ figure after I had 3 est done and they wouldn't budge price wise,so I arrainged a meeting with my contractor and ins adjuster,made a big difference,contractor told adjuster his bid was good for 30 days as material cost keep rising,adjuster wrote a check on the spot,my neighbors told me state farm gave then nighmares on repairs needed,only allowed spot replacement,not all shingles were damaged,same with siding.

I had farmers for years,became complacent with annual  ins increases,finally a few years ago I had enough and wanted a lower premium,my agent told me because of all the nat'l weather destruction every year we all get nicked nation wide,he went on to tell me if he did a credit check and my credit score was high enough he could save me a couple $100 maybe...no more farmers.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Inflation, supply chain issues, corporate money grabs = higher prices. Don't think for a second the installers / roofers haven't noticed all the price gouging going on, they have joined in.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup it has turned into a gouge everyone you can society the last few years.  Not much pride left of doing a good job for a fair price.  Or selling a product at a good price neither actually. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've had hail damage twice before (2008 and 2011). Each time the adjuster came (American Family), reviewed the damage and being I told them I was the general contractor, they simply gave me a check for the full amount minus depreciation and deductible. The depreciation amount was paid after I provided proof the work was completed. The 2008 damage was extensive including roof, gutters and siding. The 2011 damage included roofs on house and detached garage, all gutters and the north sides siding. In both cases acting as general contractor I either did the work myself or paid someone (think roofing here) to do it. In neither case did I get a low-ball payment from the insurance company. This past event I went a different route. I asked the insurance company how they would like me to proceed, and they recommended a contractor that they trust and have used for years. They will do an honest check on the damage and then if warranted you file a claim and then the insurance company will send and adjuster who will make the final determination what needs to be done and the payments. Adjuster met with contractor and contractor agreed to do the roof replacements for what the insurance company will pay. All up front issues are taken care of and now I'm waiting for them to give me a schedule build date. So far things have been going smoothly. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
New roof is scheduled to be installed on Tuesday. Hope they have good weather.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Several issues were encountered during the roofing install yesterday. Actually, it's not done even though they started setting up at 6:30 AM and didn't leave my house until 10:30 last night. Yesterday I had to leave around 9:30 and returned around noon. I immediately noticed that the valley W tins and the roof vents were the wrong color. Black when they were to be gray to match the roof. After two hours the correct parts arrived. They had to tear off some of the new roof, remove the incorrect color tins and replace them and the shingles. This along with a short rain delay resulted in not completing the job yesterday. I must admit they gave it a heck of a try and called in another crew that arrived shortly before 9 PM, but there was no way to finish, and they finally got down off the roof in the dark close to 10 PM. Second issue is not resolved yet. I have a 14 inch solar light tube on the roof. I wanted them to just leave it alone but when he looked at it last month he insisted they replace the entire Velux tube in order to prevent any leaks. Well, I relented and agreed. So what do they put in it's place... a 10 inch tube that provides half the light as the 14 inch did. On top of that they just plopped down the flashing and dome and did not connect it to (of course a 10 inch tube doesn't match up well to a 14 inch one) the existing tube.  I tried to stop them but between language "not my problem" and the late hour they just stuck in the wrong skylight.  I will be dealing with the build manager today.  I'm beginning to think I should have been the contractor like I was for the past two roofing and siding jobs.  :crazy:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Back to the age old saying. If you want something done right, you need to do it yourself.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
We had some hail here a couple days ago. No damage in my garden. But there are hail bruises on quite a few apples.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last night they took the dump full dump trailer so when they finished today they had a pile of scraps from cleanup and what was generated while completing the roofing this morning. Also, all unused shingles, underlayment, roof vents and Ice and Water. The Build Manager returned today to check out the Sun Tunnel issue and do a final inspection of the work. I ask him if I could have two bundles for my garden shed. He said he doesn't have room for the stuff in his truck and has called for a dump trailer to pick it up and if I wanted any of it, I better take it before they get here. I took two full rolls (200 sq ft) and two half rolls of ice and water, eight full bundles of shingles and about another loose bundle, several part rolls of underlayment, seven roof vents and half dozen tubes of roof glue. Rough guess is close to a grand that was going into the landfill.   :confused: 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great DE.  Good for everyone to put things like that to good use.  You actually helped the inflation issue since now you won't be buying the stuff and the supply and demand thing is in your favor.  SO did they take care of the 14" roof window for you?

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
The amount of waste in this country is amazing & sad.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We had our roof re-shingled and they did use Ice and Water along the edges.  They used the architectural type of shingles.  We have a 1400 ft house that is in a T shape roof.  They took off and put on new shingles and it was about $5,000.  That was about 4 years ago.  I knew the guy too and that is all he does.  Short guy that is about 70 years old.  Loves shingling and has a helper with him too.  Told me that the first time he got on a roof to help someone shingle when he was a kid he instantly fell in love with it and has done it ever since.  I heard he fell of a roof last year and would like to talk to him about it.  I see around. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LPS, No the Velux Sun Tunnel is still not fixed. The build manager said it would take several days to order the part (actually the entire kit) and then schedule the install. Sad bananas as I knew it was wrong when they installed it but couldn't stop them because they wanted to complete the roof job. I still owe a bunch of $$ so I'm not too worried about it. The roofers are not the ones buying the material so rather than carry a half shingle to start a row the throw it away and cut a new one in half. Hard to watch for sure.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
We're getting the shingles replaced on our schoolhouse the end of next month. I'll be writing out a check to pay for that one, 7/12 pitch on the roof and you won't see my pork chop azz on that. I was up there once to check the chimney out, hell of a view, scared the bejeevers out of me. :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if them throwing away all the extra materials is because insurance is paying for the roof.

It must be easier for them to pitch the materials than have someone return them and track the deltas in material costs that have to be turned into the insurance companies.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last time I had the roof replaced due to hail I was the contractor, so I purchased the material and hired a crew to do the labor. They go paid per square. I had plenty of shingles on hand (never want to come up short) and they tried to use them all. I pulled half bundles out of the dumpster.  :tut:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I went up on the roof to check out the workmanship of the shingle job and view the Velux sun tunnel from the top. No problem with the shingles but the installation of the 10-inch dome and flashing was a joke. I can look down into my attic and see the original 14-inch tunnel off to the side leaning on a rafter about a foot from the dome. Currently the dome is just suppling light to the attic space.   :angry2:
I'm not too worried yet as I still owe them a lot of $$ and don't plan to pay anything until the issue is addressed and corrected.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Yesterday I went up on the roof to check out the workmanship of the shingle job and view the Velux sun tunnel from the top. No problem with the shingles but the installation of the 10-inch dome and flashing was a joke. I can look down into my attic and see the original 14-inch tunnel off to the side leaning on a rafter about a foot from the dome. Currently the dome is just suppling light to the attic space.   :angry2:
I'm not too worried yet as I still owe them a lot of $$ and don't plan to pay anything until the issue is addressed and corrected.

Send them a note giving them 10 days to CORRECTLY finish the job or you will get a local contractor to do it and deduct his price from what you owe them. Send it certified with a signature required. Or better yet pay your lawyer $100 to send it on his letterhead.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pretty aggressive there dutchboy. I have no problem giving them time to resolve the issue. The part that was installed was installed correctly and I assume doesn't leak so that's not a problem. I will be riding them pretty hard when they replace the parts and reconnect the tunnel pipes. I installed the original one and it's not easy lining up everything and making the correct connections. It takes a minimum of two people, one on the roof and one inside the house. This is one thing that "close enough" will not do. I will be a pain in their butts and inspect all steps they do before they get to close up anything.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Well, you can let them drag it out until you are up against winter or you can be aggressive, it's your choice. If you know, like & trust them wait for them.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well, dutchboy may be right about this dragging out until the snow flies. Last Tuesday they notified me the new, correct Sun Tunnel would be installed on Thursday (yesterday).  Things looked good on Wednesday when someone dropped off the new correct Sun Tunnel and three bundles of shingles.  I waited all day, and no one showed up. At 5:15 I started sending our texts indicating my displeasure with them as not only did they not show up, but I did also not get a single peep out of anyone.  Their excuse for not showing up was that they just realized it was not like replacing a skylight and that they needed (not sure what they had planned) to access the inside to complete the install. No sh** last month I had the building manager look at in from in my house and he very much understood that it will require two people one in and one out to lineup and connect the tunnel from the roof flange to the ceiling bezel. Now "Brian" will call me. I don't know who this guy is but the issue has now been escalated to the owner of the company.  :censored:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well good luck and I hope Brian knows what he is doing. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well, Brian showed yesterday at 9:00 AM. Everything looked ok until he discovered the new flashing and roof mount would not connect to the existing tunnel. The kit came with two elbows and a two-foot extension. Because the new roof mount flashing was taller than the old one, he did not have enough tube to reach the ceiling adaptor.  Luckly, I had salvaged a two-foot piece from the dumpster that the roofers had discarded (don't get me started here). Due to the extra time to try to make the existing tunnels work and then having to basically restart, he was not completely finished when he said he hurt his knee and will have to leave for the day. He said he would return this morning.  Good Grief.   

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
 :smiley: The upside is it's only August, not done yet but still only August........I should add 2022.   :pouty:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
...when he said he hurt his knee and will have to leave for the day. He said he would return this morning.  Good Grief.

Contractors... :angry:

If I really, really hurt my knee bad enough to leave before the job is done, I sure ain't goona promise I'll be back in the morning.. :confused:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya what a "lame" excuse.  And I do mean it. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
He did come back around 10:00 and finished the job. Being he's the quality control guy, I had him correct a couple things on the roof. Nothing I couldn't have done but just to point them out.  He also left behind a complete Velux 10-inch sun tunnel and 2 1/2 bundles of shingles. Another $400 or so in material to go with the almost $1000 the left when the roof was installed. Oh, well, on to the gutters....