Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Any mushroom guy know what these are?  (Read 3194 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
These are growing on an elm stump, but I doubt they are morels.  :rotflmao: :confused:

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm a long way from a mushroom expert but they look suspiciously like pheasant back mushrooms.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/foraging/the-total-guide-to-pheasant-back-mushrooms
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So it seems they are edible.  ???

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
So it seems they are edible.  ???
tastes like chicken!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Had them. Won't pick them again.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's a little known fact that wrens are fond of them... :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
It's a little known fact that wrens are fond of them... :coffee:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
 You guys first,  I ain't that hungry!!  :happy1:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Fungi pickin in my back 40 was darn good last week...even found some wild ass-grass.

« Last Edit: May 05/31/22, 07:40:41 AM by snow1 »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Fungi pickin in my back 40 was darn good last week...even found some wild ass-grass.

Where?   :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow calls Hugo home, I believe.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Snow calls Hugo home, I believe.

Yes, my minnesewta resident's is Hugo,got a little creek out back lined with deadfall elm tree's and buck thorn,lot's of critters and great spot for fungas to grow.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
When they were replacing those 2 bridges on SB 35 south of there, we went through Hugo all the time to get to Hwy 61 & took that down to Vadnais Heights/694 for a detour. Much quicker & that's why I remember where snow lives.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner,

My little town is growing big time,just south of my home in 2019 they popped in 630 town homes,then last summer 8 low income 40 unit apt buildings,yuck!,county and city taking buildable land via enimate domain,I decided two years ago to move,well in the process of a permanet move to chamberlain SoDak,no family left in minnesweta,bought a good chunk of land just north of town along the missouri bluffs/breaks, on the fence selling my hugo mn home as it's pd for,% rates are rising as well as everything else,in the mean time getting things in order,recently bought 200 pheasants from my SD  neighbor as he has a hunting operation,did the same thing last summer,he adivises to release these chicks at 12 weeks old,strong enough to survive yet 30% will parish as a rule he claims,last fall a few of us neighbors got together to cull out as many rooster's as we could as the rooster will kill off the hens mid winter when food get's scarice,been a learning curve for this old boy but enjoy the life style and people,fishing is great as well.
« Last Edit: June 06/02/22, 09:26:19 AM by snow1 »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner,

My little town is growing big time,just south of my home in 2019 they popped in 630 town homes,then last summer 8 low income 40 unit apt buildings,yuck!,county and city taking buildable land via enimate domain,I decided two years ago to move,well in the process of a permanet move to chamberlain SoDak,no family left in minnesweta,bought a good chunk of land just north of town along the missouri bluffs/breaks, on the fence selling my hugo mn home as it's pd for,% rates are rising as well as everything else,in the mean time getting things in order,recently bought 200 pheasants from my SD  neighbor as he has a hunting operation,did the same thing last summer,he adivises to release these chicks at 12 weeks old,strong enough to survive yet 30% will parish as a rule he claims,last fall a few of us neighbors got together to cull out as many rooster's as we could as the rooster will kill off the hens mid winter when food get's scarice,been a learning curve for this old boy but enjoy the life style and people,fishing is great as well.

So wait, I shouldn't run up to Hugo and starting running through the woods right now?   :scratch: :scratch:   :shocked:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
These are growing on an elm stump, but I doubt they are morels.  :rotflmao: :confused:

Yes those are pheasant backs!  :happy1:
They get pretty woody but I cut the thinner outside edges off and batter and deep fry them!  :dancinred:
My spots that I have picked for about 8 years are dead.  I guess I need to go up to Hugo and start looking around!  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/02/22, 11:04:22 AM by Leech~~ »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech,

Running thru the woods in hugo is someone's backyard these days,builder's are popping up neighborhoods left n right,at one time Hugo got it's town name from "hugo = "Help Us Get Out"  I was told back in 1999 when I moved here once you move in you never leave.Starting to feel closed in these days,good news is I have enough land for my pup and target practice with my .22 and bow,plus a nice shooting range 1 mile away,Wild wings game farm down the road as well,plenty of scratch birds make it to my place every fall,shotgun/pistol range,new snowflakes moving in are complaining about the gun range already,thankgoodness our 2A  has grandfathered in our states gun ranges,they can't close'em down but the counties put pressure and strict rules about shooting hours and what evening's ranges are allowed to operate,forest lake gun range comes to mind...G.D urban sprawl.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech,

Running thru the woods in hugo is someone's backyard these days,builder's are popping up neighborhoods left n right,at one time Hugo got it's town name from "hugo = "Help Us Get Out"  I was told back in 1999 when I moved here once you move in you never leave.Starting to feel closed in these days,good news is I have enough land for my pup and target practice with my .22 and bow,plus a nice shooting range 1 mile away,Wild wings game farm down the road as well,plenty of scratch birds make it to my place every fall,shotgun/pistol range,new snowflakes moving in are complaining about the gun range already,thankgoodness our 2A  has grandfathered in our states gun ranges,they can't close'em down but the counties put pressure and strict rules about shooting hours and what evening's ranges are allowed to operate,forest lake gun range comes to mind...G.D urban sprawl.

Ok, so look for Morels some where between Bald Eagle sportsmen's club and Wildwings!   :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Not a bad idea Leech,I sniffed around B.E.S.A last night after we were done shooting,found a few small schrooms  walking thru the 3D archery course on the uphill side,thinking our picking days are over in my area,cleaned out my area last week,neighbor claimed he made a haul (cash)selling his stash to a restaurant  in White Bear,old timer is pretty spry in his old age,if it ain't schooming season he's always roaming collecting aluminum cans keeps him in shape,guessing he's late 80's?

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah snow, Hwy 61 seemed like it was hard to tell when you left 1 town & got to another. A lot of new building going on in that area & if it wasn't residential, it was commercial pretty much all the way to 694. :rolleyes:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah snow, Hwy 61 seemed like it was hard to tell when you left 1 town & got to another. A lot of new building going on in that area & if it wasn't residential, it was commercial pretty much all the way to 694. :rolleyes:

Years ago,we were told that mpls/st paul would be all urban sprawl all the way to duluth,kinda looking that way,heck the gateway trail from north st.paul run's all the way to duluth now.