Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mosquito Question  (Read 2422 times)

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
I was thinking of doing a camping trip up in the Rum river/Millie Lac area and was wondering if the mosquito would be so thick it wouldn't be enjoyable. I know MN has the reputation for mosquitos and when I was in the Zimmerman area a weeks back they were very thick. Just wanted to get some insight as this is my first summer here. Thanks

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
They will pick you up, suck every drop of blood from your body and drive you screaming into traffic.

Have great bug dope, Thermo-cell, headnet and a huge desire to camp.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Staying close to a smoky fire sure helps too.  Wind is your friend.

Offline CAB

• Outdoorsman
They will pick you up, suck every drop of blood from your body and drive you screaming into traffic.

Have great bug dope, Thermo-cell, headnet and a huge desire to camp.

How do you guys get scouting done? That's exactly what I was worried about I had my ThermaCELL out and they laughed at me last time.

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
If you aren't carrying everything in on your back I would beyond a doubt bring a Fogger with Black Flag Mosquito dope. Fog in any longer grass anywhere near the campsite. Fog the edges of any woods. And like mentioned try and setup camp in a open area with a breeze.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Mosquito beeter is good but you need to spread it early. It takes time to work. I use repel with 40% deet on me.

I'm also a big believer in this homemade recipe. 1 bottle of mint flavored mouthwash to 1 gallon of water and a tablespoon of Epsom salt mixed in a hand pump sprayer. I get the mouthwash at dollar tree, the cheap stuff works good too. Make sure it's mint
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I do my camping in the fall. Rid bike durring summer or hide in AC
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I do my camping in the fall. Rid bike durring summer or hide in AC
:pouty: wimpy!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

HD Said I should say it!!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
CAB, mosquitos can be dealt with. They are most active early morning and from just before sundown to after dark. Your big problem will be deer flies.  So far, I have not seen any. Deer flies can be relentless. Anytime during the day and they don't care how much deet you apply or how thick your clothes are. Bites are painful and draw blood.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure they're out up your way too deadeye but the stable flies came out in force here yesterday. They're the little buggers that are a tad smaller than a regular house fly but with a nasty beak on them. Good day to wear shorts so they were constantly biting my ankles thru my sox.  :angry:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)