Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The End of Remington...?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Or the beginning of a better Big Green?   :confused:

RemArms to Close Historic Remington Gun Plant in Ilion, New York

After 195 years, RemArms announced it was shuttering operations at its Ilion factory, affecting hundreds of employees.

Around 300 employees clocked in at the Ilion plant every day, making it the largest employer in rural Herkimer County, New York. Many of those employees are represented by the United Mine Workers of America. The UMWA negotiated on behalf of the employees during the 2020 bankruptcy, resulting layoffs, and acquisition. UMWA international president Cecil E. Roberts released a statement in response to the news.

“It is extremely disappointing to hear that RemArms LLC is closing its Ilion plant,” he wrote on Thursday. “The workers in Ilion enabled RemArms to rise from the ashes of the Remington Arms bankruptcy in 2020-21. Without these workers and their dedication to producing the best firearms in the world, this company simply would not exist … This announcement by the company is a slap in the face to all of them. The timing adds insult to injury for those affected. Merry Christmas from RemArms.

I was always pulling for them to make a come back - and still am.  I just don't see how they can/will with a bunch of bean-counters running the show.  Or maybe the company just wants to get out of ultra-liberal New York.  Who knows.

I do know that when Ruger bought Marlin from RemArms, Ruger did it right and is now again producing Marlin rifles anyone would be proud to own.  Time will tell if there will ever be a new Remington worth buying.   :cry:

« Last Edit: December 12/04/23, 08:56:45 AM by Steve-o »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya what a shame. 

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it more to do with the politics in NY

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If they don't like NY, no chance they'd wanna come here!  :doah:

Truly sad. Once DuPont sold Remington off, it seemed like they went on a downward spiral. DuPont bought Pioneer around that time and proceeded to screw that up for a number of years, figuring their expertise in the ag chemical industry made it a slam dunk. Nothing could be further from the truth. A whole bunch of miscalculations all around the same time.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes, RemArms moved their corporate headquarters from New York to Georgia in protest of their Draconian gun laws, but as of 2021 was still pledging to keep the the Ilion plant open.  Times change.

I couldn't find anything on the Google to tell me where RemArms production might be moving to.  I knew they had a new plant down in Huntsville, but that was sold off in the 2020 bankruptcy.  No idea where they go from here.