Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: CWD Deer Farm Depopulation in WI  (Read 1871 times)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Maple Hill Farms will be the site of the largest CWD-related deer farm depopulation in state history

More than 300 whitetail deer will be euthanized and removed from a Wisconsin deer farm following the confirmation of chronic wasting disease at the site.

“(CWD) is devastating me and my business,” farm owner Laurie Seale told the newspaper. “I know some of my animals will test positive, but it’s wrong to kill all of them.”

Seale started Maple Hill Farm in 1989, and most of her revenue comes from raising giant bucks for private hunting ranches. Since 2016, Seale has shipped 387 deer to 40 facilities in seven states, but she maintains that the herd has been “closed” with a double-fenced perimeter since 2015. The roughly 40-acre farm currently has between 325 and 350 deer housed in pens.

The state’s plan to depopulate Maple Hill Farm will go down as the largest CWD-related deer farm depopulation in Wisconsin history—both in the number of animals removed and the size of the indemnity payment. The federal fund allows for a maximum payment of $3,000 per animal, so for 350 deer, that would be a roughly $1.5 million paycheck.

Actual deer from her farm.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
what a freak looking deer!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Doesn't CWD stay in the ground as well? wouldn't the farm be closed permanently than? Sucks for her business but that place should be banned from any future breeding.

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, that sucks for her business, but its businesses like hers that spread CWD all over the country.   :angry:

Its one thing that deer farms raise their "own" deer behind their own high fences for "trophy" hunting.

But its another thing when CWD gets in and they let infected deer escape into the wild or ship infected deer to other parts of the country.

Shipping live deer for any purpose should have been banned as soon as they discovered that was the primary transmission vehicle into states that didn't have it before.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
How much do you suppose it costs to shoot that buck on the right? A hell of a lot more than the $3,000 she's getting.

I just can't imagine sitting in a blind while they open the gate and make it run by so you can shoot it. That's hunting?

:thumbs: :thumbs: :crazy: :crazy:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
How much do you suppose it costs to shoot that buck on the right? A hell of a lot more than the $3,000 she's getting.

I just can't imagine sitting in a blind while they open the gate and make it run by so you can shoot it. That's hunting?

:thumbs: :thumbs: :crazy: :crazy:

Yes, $3000 is the the MAXIMUM the federal government will reimburse her for destroying an exposed animal.  But perhaps she gets much more than $3000 from the high fence, hunt club "outfitters."  And those clubs charge clients way more than that.

"Hunting" a buck like that in a pen reminds me of Trump "dating" Stormy Daniels.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i'm with Ken on this..........hows  that a hunt  :scratch: :scratch: :doah: but then again think i'd sh!t my pants if i seen a deer with racks like that coming thru the woods.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think guys pay $10-20,000 for those hunts.  But to have it hanging on the wall and knowing how you got it would be anti-climatic to me. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
i'm with Ken on this..........hows  that a hunt  :scratch: :scratch: :doah: but then again think i'd sh!t my pants if i seen a deer with racks like that coming thru the woods.

:happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.