Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 deer season  (Read 11948 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the 2022 hunting regulations books are out. got mine yesterday.

REMINDER............for those that hunt in permit areas you have till sept 8th to apply. the 2 permit areas are crew hunts the permit numbers didnt change.......169 has 250 and 197 has 500.

i need to look into that early anterless hunt in october..........extremely low on venision!!!!!!!  :pouty: :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
New for 2022...  :deer:

• Special CWD regulations, including mandatory disease testing and carcass movement restrictions are in effect in a number of areas. See page 69-82.
  • Deer permit area 179 is now 679 and deer permit area 261 is now 661. Both 679 and 661 have been added to the CWD management zone. See page 70.
  • There will be opportunities for any hunter to have their deer sampled for CWD even in areas where CWD has not been detected.
  • The early antlerless deer season has been expanded to include more deer permit areas and the bag limit has changed from five deer to three deer. Hunters are no longer required to purchase an early antlerless permit to participate. Find details on page 84.
  • Hunters may only possess and use non-toxic ammunition when participating in a special hunt or disease management hunt in a Minnesota state park or Scientific and Natural Area or in a regular hunt in a Scientific and Natural Area in which hunting is allowed. Find details on page 87 and a list of SNAs open to hunting on page 115.

Full Regs

Interactive Zone Map

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the DNR website doesnt say anything i could find if the anterless permits are out...........anyone know when they will be out???????

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, the deadline to apply just closed last Thursday, so I think it will be a while yet.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well we all know Glenn, closed on Thursday and he wants to know on Friday!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   I was told to say that....   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, the deadline to apply just closed last Thursday, so I think it will be a while yet.
:rotflmao: :scratch: :confused: oh!! :crazy: :pouty:

With all the crap going on right now I'm losing my sense of time!! :pouty:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
oh!!

With all the crap going on right now I'm losing my sense of time!!

If I recall correctly from last year, they got those results out fairly quickly after the lottery closed.  I think they use a computer now instead of ping pong balls like they did for years and years.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Antlerless lottery results are available.  :happybounce:

Antlerless and special deer hunt lottery results search

I didn't get drawn.   :cry:

Good luck to the rest of you.   :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :sleazy: I gotz me one in da mail today!!! :clap: :party1: :happybounce: :rocker; :dancinred: :dancinred: :Deer: :Deer:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Might as well throw it away....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya but, does it count doing 55 on da 2 lane blacktop??

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

dats funny!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea I usually shoot big bucks anyway!!

:pouty:. And didn't I tell you to go play in traffic!! :mooning:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that's usually how boar gets his wild game!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Living in ND for 35 years, I always thought the Minnesota Deer slogan was

"If it's Brown it's Down"  Otherwise why is party hunting legal here???

:smoking: :sleazy: :doofus:
« Last Edit: October 10/03/22, 07:46:08 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Living in ND for 35 years, I always thought the Minnesota Deer slogan was

"If it's Brown it's Down"  Otherwise why is party hunting legal here???

:smoking: :sleazy: :doofus:
it's the Boar rule.... He needs help shooting deer!!! :sleazy: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :nerd:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Good reminder about carcass movement restrictions in CWD management zones on the main page this week.

With so many CWD Management Zones popping up all over the state, it will be a huge pain-in-the-  :moon: for those hunters who live outside those zones to hunt within them if they can't take their meat home without first deboning it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Depending on how our hunt goes in our respective areas, as I'm planning on staying up all week, I may try the 679 area as that's not far from us.

The DNR sent out an email, as I understand it for that area I could quarter it and tahe it out as long as I leave the head and spine??

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
It gets worse.  Read this on the DNR Website!

If you are in a surveillance, management, or control zone, sampling is mandatory opening weekend of the gun season.

In addition to getting your deer sampled, you will need to know the Public Land Survey (PLS) number of the location where you harvested the deer.  The DNR Website has instructions on how to get this from the MN DNR Website Recreation Compass.

So if you know where you plan to hunt, best figure out what this number is ahead of time.  The lines were extremely long and slow last time there was mandatory sampling.  Can you imagine how much longer this will take if everyone has to find their own PLS number?   :doah:

Here are the requirements for each CWD zone classification.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cwd/surveillance-zone.html

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cwd/control-zone.html

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cwd/management-zone.html

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :confused: so friggin confusing. I did an in-depth research mission this morning. I may hunt that 679 zone if everything works out. I got the impression after the first weekend I only would have to have it tested opening weekend after that it was voluntary. And that I could also take the whole carcass to talmoon but as far as I can see talmoon isn't even listed as a test station?? :confused:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Talmoon looks to be right on the border between 169 and 679, yes?

679 is a Management Zone and 169 (west of Hwy 6) is a Surveillance zone - so it depends on where you are taking it.

Hunters are allowed to move whole deer carcasses in between contiguous management zone DPAs or from a control zone DPA into the management zone.

You can move a carcass between two Management Zones, but it doesn't say you can move it from a Management to Surveillance Zone.  So no going from 679 to 169 without first breaking it down and leaving the spine in 679.

I sure do hope the DNR has more testing sites than the ones currently listed on the website.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Talmoon looks to be right on the border between 169 and 679, yes?

679 is a Management Zone and 169 (west of Hwy 6) is a Surveillance zone - so it depends on where you are taking it.

Hunters are allowed to move whole deer carcasses in between contiguous management zone DPAs or from a control zone DPA into the management zone.

You can move a carcass between two Management Zones, but it doesn't say you can move it from a Management to Surveillance Zone.  So no going from 679 to 169 without first breaking it down and leaving the spine in 679.

I sure do hope the DNR has more testing sites than the ones currently listed on the website.
yes........its the northern, most western corner.

but it doesnt say i cant either. first i need to get a deer in that zone. my problem is talmoon isnt listed as a test sitr....not even the first weekend. the way i see it i'd have to take it to the forest service station in deer river to get it tested....... if there staffed there during the week and after dark????????/

my only other otion is to 1/4 it and then bring it back to the cabin.....it'll suck but doable. i usually pick the rib cage apart to but will need to leave it lay i guess!!1

i  jusr wonder exactly how close there going to watch this?????? i mean as i understand it they found 2 or 3 deer in the town of grand rapids with the CWD??????/
« Last Edit: October 10/12/22, 01:39:35 PM by glenn57 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i do see now that talmoon is listed as a CWD testing station..........for how long  :scratch: who knows!!!!!!!! :shocked:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
i do see now that talmoon is listed as a CWD testing station..........for how long  :scratch: who knows!!!!!!!! :shocked:
Probably just Saturday and Sunday.  That seems to be all that is required.

But much of the organization seems ad hoc.  It wouldn't surprise me either if stations were manned on Monday as well - depending on the volume of samples and staffing/volunteers.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably just Saturday and Sunday.  That seems to be all that is required.

But much of the organization seems ad hoc.  It wouldn't surprise me either if stations were manned on Monday as well - depending on the volume of samples and staffing/volunteers.
i did read after that first weekend i could, if i did shoot a deer in the 679 zone i could transport the whole deer to talmoon so.......not sure.

so ithink i came up with a game plan. IF i do hunt inthat zone..........i'll more than likely have my 4 wheeler with. it has a wench, i'll just hang it from a tree......quater it and move along!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I know it is a PITA, but there is something to be said for getting your deer tested.

A) we do need to know how the disease is spreading, and

B) since it is spreading, I'd like to know if MY deer has it or not.

It is only a matter of time until it is everywhere and it will become routine to have your deer sampled before you eat it.

My biggest problem with the DNR is all the draconian regulations regarding carcass transport.  It was unregulated live deer transport between deer farms that spread the disease in the first place.   :angry:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I always shoot my opening weekend deer on Monday...;)
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i took a peek at the way extended forecast for deer hunting weekend. looks as though its going to be decent weather....although ya cant trust that any further then i could throw boar!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i did talk to a buddy of mine last night that is really good friends with one of the wardens up there, and his neighbor......i got the impression that there not to gung ho on this testing/rules, especially along the border of this 679 zone!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother texted me this tonight. Not sure if he got it at the stepdad farm near new Richmond Wi or where he lives by mossonnie Wi .

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.