Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: now its my wife...........  (Read 27662 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so...........part of the game plan as a whole is to get rid of the infection. the medical staff is pretty Instent on her to quit smoking. so both of us are giving it a try. sue has been smoke free for 10-11 days, and doing quite well i have to admit.

me........... :pouty: :crazy: :doah:ive been smoke free since sunday nite, so 4 1/2 days. last night while having my fire and beer i wanted to have a smoke so friggin bad i almost raked up grass clippings to put in my pipe!!!!!!! :confused: UFFDA!!!!!!!!! BUT i didnt and survived.

damnits hard!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Stay strong Glenn for both of you. My wife quit back in 2006. She went and seen a chiropractor that had some kind of shock therapy. And it worked. Wonder if the guy is still there? He was by the McDonalds in Elk River.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
big pill there Glenn!!   I know because I was there too..  but I did it and it's been over 6 years smoke free for me..   I'm with ya both!!!   

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
The #1 thing is stay away from people who smoke. When I quit the first 30 days were the hardest. After that it's not bad at all. I quit a 3-4 pack a day habit when I was 35ish, so over 30 years ago. I can still close my eyes and taste the first puff of a Winston.  :rotflmao: It's not enough to ever lite up again.

Figure out what the two of you would spend smoking and after 6 months of being smoke free go blow that money on something nice you both will use and enjoy. Make it a high ticket item so you realize just what you have gained by quitting in addition to your health.

Good luck.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for both of youse.  I used to smoke 2 packs a day and knew it was a disgusting habit and my new truck smelled like smoke so I quit cold turkey in 1987.  Best thing I ever did.  Wasn't easy but so glad I did it.  I have 2 buddies with lots of health problems and they still smoke.  Bugs the heck out of me. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I went cold turkey~ 20 years ago, but I never smoked much more than 1/2 pack a day. Good luck!!
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I could give you some shock therapy Glenn.
Good Luck! I've been smoke free for over 22 years. Don't miss em.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
With all the adults that have quit smoking where would the cigarette companies be if they didn't have the kids to "prey" on?

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
good luck Glen.

Once a chewer (tin a day), Nicorette gum was my friend. Did that for a few years but was addicted to that. slowly transitioned to standard mint gum and been good since!

Glad I quite as I don't think i could afford a tin a day now, lol
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Good luck.  Do whatever it takes to quit.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys the hard candy is taking a beating. :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn, as you can see, we are all here pulling for you and your wife to succeed. I wish you the best. I have no personal experience with smoking so I can't say how hard it is. My father quit long before it became widely known to cause multiple health issues. He was around 50 at the time and went on to live another 45 years.  Keep us posted and we will be your support group at no, er make that very little charge.  :azn: 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
1 day at a time, if i can quit drinkin, smokin, chewin, yu can do this. 1hr at a time, find distractions, read, walk, hobbies, pray for stength. Every day without, yu slow the death march! Keep going!!!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I use to smoke a pack and a half of Pall Malls a day. I liked them but my body didn't. I tried quitting a lit of times before succeeding. Chewed the gum for a year, then quit that. It was a hard addiction for me to break.
Then I got fat. Truth.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I use to smoke a pack and a half of Pall Malls a day. I liked them but my body didn't. I tried quitting a lit of times before succeeding. Chewed the gum for a year, then quit that. It was a hard addiction for me to break.
Then I got fat. Truth.

Getting un-fat is harder than quitting smoking was for me. But not smoking is healthier I guess.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I know smoking effects everyone different,  but pops is now 81 and has been smoke free for 30 years. But the Kools menthol ( I think that's what they were) and copd has him dragging around an air tank. Just my 2 cents.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so you guys that quit smoking...........how long after you quit did it take for that burning urge to have one at least kinda go away. yesterday was a good day....today;;;;;;;;;;UGH!!!!!!!

i smoke a pipe.....and the only thing right now helping me out is the fact the tobacco i smoke isnt available in cold spring..i need to go to st cloud!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that depends on you mostly...   some times I don't mind and the next time it stinks...   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i was told once to drink plenty of fluids.......supposed to cleanse the nicotine out of your system....... not sure that works!!!!!!!!! :scratch: :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nicotine is usually gone in 1 to 3 days..   depending on the person too..  but drink lots of water any way...

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I drink a lot of water regardless!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I was married to me ex we were remodeling our house in Stillwater.  I had quit smoking 2 years earlier.  She still smoked like a chimney.  She was wallpapering in a room and called me in to help.  She wanted me to hold her cigarette whilst in a challenging position on a ladder with wet wallpaper.  I took that cig and put it right in my mouth and took a big bang off of it without even thinking about it.  I can't believe I did it.  Was a subconscious thing.  It felt like I inhaled a torch.  I got mad and said don't ever do that again.  That even made me more of a non smoker.     I even used to have bad dreams of smoking and ruining my years of not smoking.  Then I would wake up and feel better cuz it was only a dream.   Hang in there Glenn.  You are doing good!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Lots of fluids (water) not beer. Also find something to occupy your hands. Keep your hands busy and your mind will stay off of the cigarettes'. Also throw that pipe away, get rid of all the ashtrays, lighters, matches. Set a target of 30 days for both you and the wife then take her out for a celebratory dinner. While at dinner set the next goal, 45 days. You are only 30 days away from getting your life back, don't give up.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I chewed on a lot of toothpicks. Still do a little.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Its be so long since i quit, dont know how long it took for the urges faded, but the toughest part was assoxiation, after meal, out of shower, getting in car, ext...
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  :pouty: it's been a trying few days since I got home from the cabin around here.  Sue is scared crazy, frustrated as all get out besides. The team at the U have different expectations, one wants her to start antibiotics but the surgeon doesn't, she went for her pre-op and today she goes for a chest exray and an EKG.

Seems like every other day they need to do something or they change plans!!

I keep telling her 1 day, 1 thing at a time. Think I finally got her calmed down last night!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That is the best way to look at it Glenn. It has to be a very stressful time. I can only imagine. Thoughts and prayers for you guys!!