Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: More Insecticides in Whitetail Deer Than Ever Before  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Biologists in Minnesota are Finding More Insecticides in Whitetail Deer Than Ever Before

In a 2019 Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) Ungulate Research study, scientists found insecticides in 61 percent of whitetail deer spleens examined. That percentage has risen to 94 in a recently published continuation of the study based on collections made in 2021.

The insecticides that the MDNR is testing the state’s whitetail deer for are called neonicotinoids or neonics for short. They’re used widely in agriculture, but they’re also present in about 500 registered household products.

While neonics are designed to target certain receptor sites in insect brains, recent research shows that the chemical is having an impact on non-target species as well. “That’s kind of where we come in,” Michel says. “We’re looking at whitetail deer specifically, but other game birds and non-game birds have been shown to have impacts from neonics.”

The 2021 results came only from the southwestern part of Minnesota where farmlands transition into forest, but Michel says that the issue of neonics in deer spleens is not exclusive to agricultural parts of the state. “We are finding deer that were harvested in far northeastern Minnesota that have neonic concentrations in their spleens,” he says. “We’re talking about like up towards the Boundary Waters area, an area that’s very remote. What we’re wondering is, how is it getting there? How are these deer being exposed?”

:confused:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can only speculate how some of the neonics may be getting to the Boundary Waters area. Possibly through atmospheric deposition of some kind or runoff, depending on where they're at. Not sure what they might be doing chemical-wise in wild rice production, but the crops rotated with the wild rice in that system could be putting neonics right on the Boundary Waters doorstep.

https://www.farmprogress.com/crops/cultivated-wild-rice-production-minnesota-small-yet-mighty

I have a real problem with the persistent overuse of the neonics in agriculture to begin with, whether it's as blanket seed treatments on corn and soybeans or the "let's just toss it in with the herbicide or fungicide in case there are insect pests out there we're too lazy to get off our dead butts and scout for" mentality. Keep exposing large numbers of the insect population every year to the same insecticides and they will develop resistance to the neonics, just like they've done with so many modes of action. Ag chemical manufacturers and ag retailers have been their own worst enemies in this regard.

We just had a discussion this morning that ran along those lines. The local seed dealer couldn't figure out why anyone wouldn't want a whole combination of crap included on their seed, even though the real culprit that needed to be addressed this year (SDS or sudden death syndrome in this case) involved only one separate seed treatment fungicide product, Illevo, that's relatively expensive. It didn't get used as a result and now we see SDS showing up where it wasn't used. I know why, because these seed treatment plants at these seed dealerships were pitched by corporate as "profit centers" and not as having an enormous amount of benefit to the farmers. The data bear that out but were ignored. The dealer doesn't stand to make near the $ out of the deal.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've been looking for information but not sure what impact this has on deer or humans. Other than the obvious is we are ingesting something that maybe we don't' need.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
It's all a plot by PETA to get us to stop eating them, I'm eaten um!  :happy1:

It is amazing how animals have a way to keep chugging along. They've done a bunch of testing and studies in the Chernobyl area and even though the animals and fish are still showing some radiation. Their coming back and thriving!  :confused:   :happy1: 
« Last Edit: August 08/31/22, 09:36:25 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I got to agree with deadeye. The article, including others, never indicate what harm these "insecticides" have...

Wonder what percentage of human spleens have insecticides in them???
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I got to agree with deadeye. The article, including others, never indicate what harm these "insecticides" have...

Wonder what percentage of human spleens have insecticides in them???
THAT!!! ...is a VERY good question.  :happy1: