Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: One walk, two dog attacks  (Read 2150 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Being it was such a nice evening, I decided to go for a brisk walk. It was anything but uneventful. One block from my house two large dogs snapping and growling came across a yard with nothing between us. Fortunately, they had a buried fence, but I didn't know that and who's to say the dogs give a hoot. I didn't chance going past them, so I headed home where I picked up a short weighted wooden easy chair handle. Things were fine for the next mile until a very vicious barking and growling bulldog/pit-bull type dog came out of a garage on a full charge towards me. Again, as before growling snapping barking and circling me. After some hollering and yelling a small girl was able to call it off. Unfortunately, after I went about a half block the dog returned this time more vicious than the first time. I could only face the dog and hold my now seemingly insignificant weapon and holler for help. Then things got interesting when a guy who saw the attack from his house, came out with gun in hand saying he will shoot the #$%$^& dog. I said fine just don't hit me. I thought I was safe as the dog now turned its attention to the guy with the gun. I'm now screaming at the girl to get her dog. The guy got behind some obstruction and I started to leave when the dog came at me again. Now I was really frightened. The girl was hollering at the dog to go home and I'm yelling at her to grab his collar. Meanwhile the guy with the gun is standing by. She eventually got the dog and headed back to their house. Lots of hollering could be heard from that direction but I didn't stay for round three. I need a bigger weapon.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Wow! Glad yur safe!! Ive had to deal with alot of situations like that on past jobs tho, not just taking a casual walk.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Wow.....that sounds like a close encounter I would not like to have happen.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Did you forget that you had milk bones in your pocket.  Bring a walking stick next time or just go up to your land and wait for the bears to attack and shoot them.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That is scary. Those invisible fences can be frightening not knowing they are thereā€¦or if they will work. Our neighbors dog charges to the street and will scare the $h!t out of people walking by only to stop a few feet away when it hits the line. Okay, sometimes I laugh when I see it happen.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bad news DE.  When my parents lived in Mound my Dad liked going for walks.  Everyone there had dogs.  My Dad had a nice long walking stick that he started bringing with him.  Someone needs to do something about the dog that was after you.  That is dangerous as heck and someone is going to get hurt.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That sux deadeye. I really have a problem with people who can't control their dogs, especially those who seem to think having one that's intimidating is a good idea. Making all the farm calls over the years, I certainly empathize with you. I've been able to make some of them my buddies by carrying treats in the pickup. Some are just plain nasty and their owners will be lucky if they don't wind up with a lawsuit on their hands.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Exactly Dotch, that is scary stuff DE and good to hear you didn't get bit. That's definitely a owner problem,  I probably would've called the authorities but who knows maybe they showed up anyhow. With as many miles we walk thank God we don't have careless owners around here.
« Last Edit: September 09/10/22, 09:14:47 AM by Bobberineyes »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered if the guy with the gun hasn't had encounters with this dog before since he was at the ready? 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Pepper spray.  :happy1:

I once saw a mailman spray a dog that charged him across a yard.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After some discussion, I'm pretty sure I will go with the pepper spray or bear spray or something to that effect. Not sure I would trust a stick after seeing the dog yesterday.  :sad:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A video may not hurt to have neither. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LPS,
Damn, that would have been a great idea. I never thought of that. To panicked, I guess.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Wasp and hornet spray is cheaper and you might have some in the garage.   Does the same thing
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You can get small canisters of pepper spray that will fit in your pocket.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like that dog is gonna hurt someone. Needs to be put down.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I just ran across this article on Shooing Illustrated...

5 Great Pepper Spray Options

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always thought that it should be available with paint in it.  That way whether a person or animal you just signified which one it is.  Hey maybe I should invent that and make it in the garage. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I have always thought that it should be available with paint in it.  That way whether a person or animal you just signified which one it is.  Hey maybe I should invent that and make it in the garage.

:happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Steve-O. I had my daughter order one for me (she has Prime so no shipping cost).
Ken W, LPS, most of the ones I checked into have invisible UV markings that can be identified for several days.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I just got back from a long walk. I went the opposite direction from the known bastard dogs. This time I had my newly acquired pepper spray.  Bad news is I had to draw it, arm it and aim it at a charging barking dog. It was a yellow lab, so I wasn't really too concerned but you never know.  When it was about 10 feet away and showed no sign of stopping, I yelled and took a quick step towards it. Good news is the dog stopped but continued barking, wouldn't leave and we were in a stalemate for a while before it retreated. Of course, after that the owner who was mowing lawn calls the dog.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So you are screwed no matter what way you go.  Maybe a treat for the yellow lab???