Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Pumpkins  (Read 1493 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Just not near your stand

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Deer love them and only eat the ripe ones.  Will eat a chunk out of a lot of them until they find the right one.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
What if I plant pumpkins by my deer stands?? Wouldn't that be considered a food plot???

I thought about actually planting some by the cabin. Not sure if other critters would eat the plants before they'd turn into something??
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there is one way to find out, do it by the cabin...   but the stand nope I'd say...   unless it was food plot size... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered that too Glenn.  I had permission to goose hunt on property that was about 20 acres of pumpkins.  I couldn't believe how many of them had a bite out of them and the riper ones the top half was eaten off by deer.  When it rained it filled them up with water.  Should be no different than planting apple trees or planting turnips I would think. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
there is one way to find out, do it by the cabin...   but the stand nope I'd say...   unless it was food plot size...
we planted or tried years ago some clover or alfalfa back by our stands. It's got to much tree cover for that type of stuff to grow.

We have an open spot by the cabin I think I'll try . What's a couple bucks.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thatz wats messed up in mn, yu can plant pumpkins, corn, squash, beans, sunfkowers, ect.. to attract deer, but yu cant place it via transport it in. :crazy:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thatz wats messed up in mn, yu can plant pumpkins, corn, squash, beans, sunfkowers, ect.. to attract deer, but yu cant place it via transport it in. :crazy:
Exactly. If you grow it by your stand it is legal, But place it there and it is illegal.  :crazy: So to answer Glenn's question. Yes it is legal to grow them by your stand.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Isn't that a brain dead law.  What the heck is the difference? 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thats the endless question no one can answer
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
MN is still the state where absolutely nothing is allowed. Remember in the early days of COVID when the great and benevolent DNR gave everyone their blessing so they could go outside? As if we could do chores from inside the house. Unflipping real...:rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife loves to decorate the yard with pumpkins
 We use to grow a bunch. In November we generally toss them in the edge of our windbreak. One morning, after a snow, I counted no less than 14 whitetails munching on them.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm OK with laws prohibiting deer baiting in Minnesota.  Its what I grew up with.

Hunting near an agricultural field can be an advantage.

Planting food plots for deer and hunting over them seems to strain the differentiation between agriculture and baiting.

I guess of all the other hypocrisy that exists in this state, I can accept the deer baiting laws they way they are written.