Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Opener of trapping beaver  (Read 1751 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Saturday couldn't come fast enough. The cabins slab was getting poured at 7 am.  They were done before noon so I headed over to the lake I fished this last summer that had 9 beaver lodges.  All the bays had a lodge.  I managed to set up 3 lodges and also tried to upgrade my bass for the fishing contest. 
      Sunday morning I hit the lake early. I caught 1 beaver at each of the lodges.  Switched out a few of the 330 with snares and moved the 330's to different lodges.  Ended up setting traps around 7 off the lodges.  The 3 beaver were all on the smaller size.  25, 35, and 36 pounds.  To say I was disappointed would be an under statement.  There are castor mounds that are big as muskrat huts. 
     Monday started out with a bang. 1st snare I checked had a giant waiting for me, 62 pounds.  I had set it on one of the biggest castor mounds.  The 3 lodges where I had caught beaver the previous day had nothing.  Wasn't to surprised as the water is crystal clear.  Next lodge had a double.  Two 46 pounders.  Next lodge had another a double as well. A 48 pounder and a 60 pound hog.  The last lodge I set up the day before only had 1 snare and 1 330.  It had the largest feedbed on the lake.  I was rewarded with a 50 pounder and another giant.  67 pounds.  Great day!!!  Sadly I had to pull all my traps. 2 Dr appointments Wed and I had a lot of skinning to do.  The boat was loaded down with me, traps and 379 pounds of beaver.   
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I also had a double in the same trap.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The young boy is crazy about anything outdoors so I called his parents to see if he wanted to pet a real beaver. 

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I also sent him home with a beaver tail for fishing bait and the beaver feet for his puppies.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Was just wondering what the pelts are worth these days dk? My neighbor/sheep shearer/wool buyer is a buyer for Groenewold Fur & Wool Co. He also traps and said the price of beaver pelts was good. He was in here the other day and claimed he was going to spend some time in Nov. trapping them again. He didn't say how much "good" was however.  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Was just wondering what the pelts are worth these days dk? My neighbor/sheep shearer/wool buyer is a buyer for Groenewold Fur & Wool Co. He also traps and said the price of beaver pelts was good. He was in here the other day and claimed he was going to spend some time in Nov. trapping them again. He didn't say how much "good" was however.  :scratch:

I heard they might get up to 25 this fall.  We will see.