Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Electric…  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Going through forums, people are beginning to ask about augers again. 2-3 years ago (maybe slightly more as time flies), hardly anyone would endorse an electric auger…now days darn near everyone suggest getting one. I’d venture to guess, electric has or is close to being the majority of augers out there now. Funny how things change. It’s my observation that even with a good product, humans hate change…unless everyone is doing it.

Will vehicles be next? Im saying by 2025, the overwhelming opinion on electric cars will be positive and most will be buying.

But, I guess we’ll have to wait until then to see if I’m right. Lol.

FYI- I’m bored on the deer stand and was surfing the net. Yeah, I got a buck! Story later but now I’m just sitting it out waiting for the old man to get his and help drag it out.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I still don't have a ipod or MP3 player so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for me to buy a electric vehicle.   ;)

TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I could see you with a sweet little electric car Dutch.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:  At about the same time that I get one.   I do love my Jiffy electric auger though.  My Jiffy gas one works like new but the electric is the one I use.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Even this 1 https://www.gmc.com/future-vehicles/sierra-ev-denali only has a 400-mile range & that's probably NOT pulling a trailer or using the AC/ heater. Who wants to stop every 2-3 hours when your pulling your boat or RV to recharge the truck? So, I believe it will be quite some time before they're very popular in these parts. Besides, how many charging stations are there anywhere nearby & it can still be pretty expensive (~8-10k) to have 1 installed in your home.
« Last Edit: November 11/07/22, 08:16:30 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There was a thing on about them awhile back and I think it cost the guy $17 to charge his truck at home to a full charge when it was close to empty.  That isn't free neither.  I agree Gunner, worthless for a truck in this part of the country.  A small car for going to work short distances is all I can see and not in cold weather.  SO a glorified golf cart.  Would still need a different one for cold weather so what's the point. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We don't have near the electric grid that would be needed for widespread use of electric vehicles. I can't see that changing anytime soon.
I do like my Milwaukee electric chainsaw though.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I should admit I do have a electric vehicle already and have towed a boat with it. It's a 48 volt Yamaha electric golf cart. I pulled a 16' alum boat around with it a few years ago.  In fact I'll let Glenn use it to carry Captain Kirk around during the Super Bowl parade in downtown Mpls. this February.  :sleazy:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah, completely understand the whole infustructure argument but it’s not like it isn’t doable. If households are like ours, we have a commuter vehicle and a truck.

Also, I think almost all manufactures are making them now. There will be a big push for charging stations shortly. A lot of state, federal and county vehicles, including trucks, are going electric.

Like I said, was just reading through a bunch of forums and electric augers have taken over. HUGE difference between the two but it’s interesting looking back at old threads and seeing such hatred and people saying they’d never buy a E-auger. Now your a lone wolf if you have gas.

But yeah, I have no intentions of getting ride of my gas truck anytime soon.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I don't think theres any hate involved with electric vehicles. Just more common sense among the people who can see beyond the propaganda. It's time will come, it's just not practical or financially viable here in the Northland.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So the wife works fairly close to home.  What happens on a -10 or 20 day?  Will the heater heat up instantly with defrost etc?  I would think with the temp and sucking that much juice that the battery won't stand a chance.  Even whilst driving it isn't catching up but getting further behind.  A hybrid is the only logical choice I think.  At least you can start it and let it warm up.  Plus whilst driving you are charging the battery.
« Last Edit: November 11/07/22, 08:55:22 AM by LPS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
It taks years to perfect recharable appliances and tools, i think they are ther now. My milwakkee red cordless drill is so fricen powerful if im not careful coul snap my wrist. Cars??? Nuther 10 yrs
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A lot of the problems with today's electric vehicles are still the reasons that we went to petroleum powered automobiles in the first place. Early on, Studebaker was one of the manufacturers that was big into electric vehicles until they saw that the range, battery life and and recharging capabilities simply weren't there for them to be competitive. And even then, people on the farms kept some draft horses around for hauling stuff in the winter. The horse would always start! In 1950, my Dad hauled my Mom & soon to be born older brother across the fields in a sleigh in a snowstorm to my grandparents farmstead. The doctor couldn't get to my folks place. Not saying some of the electric won't eventually be figured out but probably not in what's left of my lifetime. There will need to be a transition especially in more rural areas, which when one looks at a map, comprise most of the US. Also, hydrogen seems the more logical route particularly for long distance transportation and equipment such as tractors.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
How much battery would it take to pull a 10 bottom plow or one of those huge corn / bean pickers?

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
How much battery would it take to pull a 10 bottom plow or one of those huge corn / bean pickers?
Reality will sometime set into the tree hugger, Woke folks that they an't going to have any hummus or soy latte's if they can't harvest their chickpeas and soybeans with a battic opraturd 10ton JohnDeer!   :bs:
I think a big list of exceptions will be coming like Semi-trucks and lots of other heavy equipment.  ;)
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's already been an issue with Deere who has invested heavily into electric. They haven't been able to solve making an electric powered system work where farmers need to get across 1000's of acres and run 24/7 in multiple locations during harvest. As with the evolution of petroleum powered equipment from horses, it wasn't the government dictating it, the economics and free market ingenuity drove it. Imagine taking up to 1/4 of your acreage just to feed the horses powering the system... :scratch:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!