Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Licking Stick/Mock Scrape  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
Hello all.  My question is what the licking stick should be made out of.  I see that a vine is always a big suggestion, but I'm not sure I've seen a vine that big.  I've got some grapes, but those are still pretty small.  I don't have pine.  What I do have a lot of are maple, ash, and elm.  I've also got a good sized willow in the back that I'm going to likely need to trim soon.  I do have an oak and a couple of apple trees, but none of those are in a place where I could take a branch that size off of them.  I do have a few vines but none of them are the size that I've seen recommended for a licking stick.  So is it better to deal with a smaller vine or more appropriate size elm branch?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Following,   never did this.  I have found a blanch hanging over one of our mowed trails.  Scraped the dirt with my boot.  Pee in the scrap and hung a trail cam.  Works a lot.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Ive never done it ethier but most scrapes ive observed have a licking branch over head to rub there eye glands and nibble it a bit and deposite saliva about it, yheve neve been mor tha maybe a pencil size at the biggest
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Do deer use an available licking branch. I tried a couple this year.

This is the buck I shot last Saturday. I did not shoot it from this stand
as the wind was wrong for it. Never hunted this stand all season due to
unfavorable wind.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
It's one of those simple things in addition to a watering hole that I plan on implementing on my small property.  I know where I want it, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. 

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I watched a video on making them on Youtube and it worked every time.  Can't believe I forgot to try I this year!  :bonk:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
According to Jeff sturgis most of his stands have a mock scrape and water hole.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Those are amazing photos, DE.  I might have to try that up in the Land of 10,000 Wolves next season. 

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
So now that we have all decided that we want to install licking branches lets decide what we want to make them out of lol. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Based on the size of the branch DE used, I'm guessin a hockey stick might work.  :bonk:

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
Lol.  Now that the leaves are gone I might go scouting again for a vine.  If I can't find one I'll just grab something and put it out there. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm not sure why but for some reason they like a "vine". I read somewhere the vines have a distinct odor. Who knows why but I got tons of pictures and videos of deer by them. Some does and small bucks are actually frightened by them but the just can't help coming back for another sniff. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***