Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Great show on Saturday  (Read 1075 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Being it was going to be so darn nice on Saturday, I decided to go muzzleloader hunting. I was happy to see the forecast also called for a SSW wind which meant I could finally hunt a location that I could not during the entire rifle season. In the past deer usually just strolled past this area, but not Saturday morning. There were several bucks chasing does and fawns through this area. Several times I saw multiple does run by to be followed by bucks. One buck was a big one, but he never stopped or got close enough for a shot. Usually, the fawns would give a shot opportunity but the does never got close enough or if they did it was on a full run. Finally, after counting 14 deer, a single doe on full alert, stopped about 50 yards out. For a second after the shot, I saw the doe turn and run straight away. She was not bounding so I assumed she was hit but almost as quick as I saw her, she was gone in a cloud of smoke. When the smoke cleared everything was quiet. There was a good bit of blood, so I was fairly confident she was dead. I followed the blood trail about 80 yards and decided to leave her alone so I wouldn't spook her into a swamp.  I spent the next half hour or so picking up cushions and putting several stands in the area to bed for the season. I took the wheeler and trailer and headed down a trail to check a couple other stands and as I was driving, I saw a dead deer 20 feet off the trail. She was lying about 30 yards from where I stopped tracking her.  This is the first season I shot deer with Bow, Rifle and Muzzleloader. My wife and I cut up the 120 pound doe this afternoon. Needless to say, the freezers are full.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Which stand was it?  Congratulations on the great season
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Being it was going to be so darn nice on Saturday, I decided to go muzzleloader hunting. I was happy to see the forecast also called for a SSW wind which meant I could finally hunt a location that I could not during the entire rifle season. In the past deer usually just strolled past this area, but not Saturday morning. There were several bucks chasing does and fawns through this area. Several times I saw multiple does run by to be followed by bucks. One buck was a big one, but he never stopped or got close enough for a shot. Usually, the fawns would give a shot opportunity but the does never got close enough or if they did it was on a full run. Finally, after counting 14 deer, a single doe on full alert, stopped about 50 yards out. For a second after the shot, I saw the doe turn and run straight away. She was not bounding so I assumed she was hit but almost as quick as I saw her, she was gone in a cloud of smoke. When the smoke cleared everything was quiet. There was a good bit of blood, so I was fairly confident she was dead. I followed the blood trail about 80 yards and decided to leave her alone so I wouldn't spook her into a swamp.  I spent the next half hour or so picking up cushions and putting several stands in the area to bed for the season. I took the wheeler and trailer and headed down a trail to check a couple other stands and as I was driving, I saw a dead deer 20 feet off the trail. She was lying about 30 yards from where I stopped tracking her.  This is the first season I shot deer with Bow, Rifle and Muzzleloader. My wife and I cut up the 120 pound doe this afternoon. Needless to say, the freezers are full.

You got an extra Doe laying around up there. I'm out on some public land right now with my crossbow. Nutten! 😟
« Last Edit: November 11/28/22, 08:24:08 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!