Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1940's deer hunt  (Read 1546 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
I found this picture on another site.  Blaze orange???

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
red was the color for my Grandparents and great Uncles... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
red was the color for my Grandparents and great Uncles...
I remember that too.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember red sweatshirts and red hats with ear flaps when I was a kid. Even tried dyeing old blue jeans. They turned out purple.  I remember being in a tree stand and seeing my first blaze orange hat going through the trees. Really stood out compared to the red.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
true that!!! 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Man you guys are old fossils!!🤣🤣🤣 :sleazy: :mooning:

Unfortunately  :pouty: I remember my dad's hunting clothes that old red being the color. And remember. Them throwing a fit when they had to buy the orange clothes.

No Boar sports the pink camo!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yup no boar sports pink

2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I can remeber my dad and uncles in red, also the 5 buckle rubber slip overs.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup them too... 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Love the pic, the boots, the hats, and the guns.  It wasnt from the 40s, but i have a hunting pic with my dad that looked just like that.  He was wearing a bear skin hat. 

My dad first took me hunting when red was still the rule, but soon orange was encouraged, and finally required.

I remember when my mom knitted red yarn scarves for both of us.

We didnt get any deer in my early years, but i wouldnt trade the time together for anything.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I found the pic.  Dad is on the right with the bear skin hat.  Had to be from the 50s.  Maybe in the Black Hills.  The details are lost to time now.

I do know he was shooting a Stevens 325 A Bold in 30-30.  He wanted a Winchester 1894, but they were too expensive.  Some time between the time that picture was taken and when I first remember him showing me what was in the gun cabinet, that Stevens was  replaced with a Winchester.  My dad was a Winchester man to the end.

P.S.  I do also remember that stinky old bear skin cap.  He never wore it that I could remember besides seeing it in that picture.  It was in a box with other junk in the back of his closet.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
What ever happened to the cap?  It could probably be cleaned or reconditioned, and you’d have yourself a meaningful good luck talisman.
I have a Stetson dress fedora that my dad wore only on special occasions like new in the original box. I could probably sell it, but it’s not going anywhere.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
No clue what happened to the hat.  You know how young kids are digging thru boxes in closets.  All I remember the hat smelled really bad and that it had shiny black fir with some red in the lining fabric.  Who knows when it got tossed.  Yeah, I wish we still had it.  I'll have to ask Ma if she remembers it at all or when it got tossed.