Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Broadcast Brassica Into Corn  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
I’m tossing around a few ideas in my head. Tried a quick google search and didn’t see a lot. One would assume that’s because it wouldn’t work but thought I’d see what some had to say. I know some farmers that’d give me some roundup ready corn. Any reason I can’t plant that in the spring and broadcast some brassica into it in august?  Or maybe some rye would be better.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I would think the corn canopy would block the sun for anything to grow underneath.  :scratch:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
I’ve heard of some doing this with pumpkins. Wasn’t sure if you could plant early enough to establish to endure the canopy or if you could plant something late when the corn started to dry. I know both brassica and rye can be planted quite late.

Edit-alternatively one could maybe plant in between the rows. I’m no farmer so the corn would either be done by hand or broadcast then drag. So I wouldn’t have nice and neat rows that are super compact.
« Last Edit: November 11/22/22, 03:28:00 PM by Bush_84 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
What about taking about half of what you got, put corn in part of it and other stuff in the other parts?? :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bush_84

• Outdoorsman
That’s another good idea. I was thinking of using it as screening instead of switchgrass.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Definitely worth a try.  Use both.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.