Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: No more snow crab  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just read that Alaska has closed down their snow crab harvest. I think it’s the first time ever. Reports say over 11 billion crab die off. 11 BILLION. That’s nuts! 

Better go grab some crab legs as these puppies gonna be SPENDY next year! 
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Just read that Alaska has closed down their snow crab harvest. I think it’s the first time ever. Reports say over 11 billion crab die off. 11 BILLION. That’s nuts! 

Better go grab some crab legs as these puppies gonna be SPENDY next year!
Hope they come up with what happened to them?   :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Auu, the fit all label pops up already.  So Yahoo is the leading Ocean experts now?  Now we have to drive E-car for sure, to save the Crab!  :surrender: 

According to Yahoo, "climate change" may be the prime suspect in a mass die-off of Alaska’s snow crabs, experts say, after the state took the unprecedented step of canceling their harvest this season to save the species.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Over harvest by Russia and China is also on the table as a contributor to the loss.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Over harvest by Russia and China is also on the table as a contributor to the loss.
:happy1: The pc I seen on it mentioned both overharvest & slightly warmer water temps as possible causes. :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, the theory is the warmer water temps speed up the crabs metabolism and cause them to eat more and eat it faster.  They deplete their food source (what ever it is that crabs eat), and they all starve off and die by the billions.

I've been glancing at the seafood isle for a while now.  Can't remember the last time I saw snow crab legs or how much they cost.  What I am seeing is a lot more fake crab meat molded into crab leg chunks and pieces.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I quit buying crab years ago.  Way to expensive for the little meat in them.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it can be blamed on the "Deadliest Catch" show.  It made millions of viewers around the world go "We should have Crab"   ;) ;)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There is something to that. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not much on crab either, will do lobster once a year, maybe. Those usually come from Sam's in Waterloo.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
For me its too much work getting the meat out. I'd rather eat fish or shrimp.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
oh my, I absolutely love crab legs! some of my favorite meat...though it can be a little work.

"If" this is due to climate change...it does get me a little worried. The article also mentioned that Alaska is seeing the fastest climate changes of US states. It's my bucket list vacation so I better plan a trip sooner than later.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe climate change is a real thing.

I do not buy the notion that because there has been climate change in the past, that we have nothing to worry about now.  We have plenty to worry about.

Species are going extinct at an alarming rate.  Habitats (like ocean corals) which took millennia to create are being destroyed in just a couple generations.  Certainly the warming oceans and melting ice caps will cause dramatic shifts in global weather patterns.  Perhaps areas that were once deserts will receive rain and areas that were forests and farmland will become deserts. 

Can we reverse it?  I doubt we can - and certainly not if China continues to pollute at 2X the rate of the US.  But the US is far and away the second biggest polluter.  Until the US and China figure out how to work together to make this a priority - the die is cast.

Looking at charts and graphs, I was surprised hat how little Russia contributes - relative to their size and population.   

But then, all we need is one super-volcano to explode, send enough ash and dust into the atmosphere to block the sun's rays, and we could be headed for another ice age.

The earth will heal itself.  It always does.  I hope we're still here when it happens.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya there is no doubt we have climate changing.  Over population has caused a lot of problems.  Maybe mother nature will take care of it maybe not. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
meh........climate's been changing since the beginning of time. cows fart........so do humans whatever.........

as far as crabs............. there population hasnt declined because of me..........i wont waste my time eating them!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, what Glenn said.  :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Butt you do fart a lot.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Me?  :confused: :scratch: Especially when I drink beer and eat venison.  :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and hard boiled eggs!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Butt you do fart a lot.
and I'm sure your a picnic on a beach to bubba!🤣🤣

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
meh........climate's been changing since the beginning of time. cows fart........so do humans whatever.........

as far as crabs............. there population hasnt declined because of me..........i wont waste my time eating them!!!!!!!!
I feel the same way................................... about buttered noodles. :nerd:  :puke:   ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
« Last Edit: December 12/02/22, 06:35:29 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I feel the same way................................... about buttered noodles. :nerd:  :puke:   ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
whats that got to do with it??????? :scratch: :doah: :embarrassed: :banghead: :banghead:......................... :confused: :pouty:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :banghead: Just saying, I wouldn't waste any more of my time eating any buttered noodles as you would eating snow crab. :doofus: :doah: :bonk:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :banghead: Just saying, I wouldn't waste any more of my time eating any buttered noodles as you would eating snow crab. :doofus: :doah: :bonk:
but theres no season or shortage of noodles!!!!!!! :sleazy: :mooning: :happy1: :rotflmao:

and ya can cook and eat them any way ya want!!!!!!!!!! :smoking: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
There is some long reading here, but interesting.

Where Have All the Snow Crabs Gone?

The gist of it is that the crab fishing industry is more than happy to blame climate change and ignore the fact that inaccurate population estimates could have led to quotas that were too high resulting in over-fishing.  And the folks responsible for population estimates are slow to admit that the might have made any mistakes.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/22, 02:26:04 PM by Steve-o »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not much on crab either, will do lobster once a year, maybe. Those usually come from Sam's in Waterloo.

It is this time of year that I like to buy a couple of nice lobsters.  We have them either for Christmas or New Years.  I usually get a big Porterhouse for the other one. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
There is some long reading here, but interesting.

Where Have All the Snow Crabs Gone?

The gist of it is that the crab fishing industry is more than happy to blame climate change and ignore the fact that inaccurate population estimates could have led to quotas that were too high resulting in over-fishing.  And the folks responsible for population estimates are slow to admit that the might have made any mistakes.
Sounds familiar to how the DNR manages the big fisheries here in MN.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And the deer/wolf situation too.