Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Request for gift options for a 13 year old boy,  (Read 1993 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got an email from a lady looking for advice on a kid that loves the outdoors. She is looking for gift ideas. Here is a cut and paste from the email:

Hi there,

I hope you can help this momma out, My 13 year old son is ALL about hunting and fishing (fishing mostly when he is at my house because I am scared of guns) and we live in southwest mn so he has access to tons of lakes/ponds.  I am looking for “the best” christmas gift for him, I have learned that 13 year old boys are extremely HARD to impress, and curious if the magazine would be something that a teenager would enjoy, and learn new techniques and if not, would you have any sort of a suggestion?  I even thought about a lake guide book but that didn’t seem to interest him.

Thanks so much for your time and help 😊
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I got an email from a lady looking for advice on a kid that loves the outdoors. She is looking for gift ideas. Here is a cut and paste from the email:

Hi there,

I hope you can help this momma out, My 13 year old son is ALL about hunting and fishing (fishing mostly when he is at my house because I am scared of guns) and we live in southwest mn so he has access to tons of lakes/ponds.  I am looking for “the best” christmas gift for him, I have learned that 13 year old boys are extremely HARD to impress, and curious if the magazine would be something that a teenager would enjoy, and learn new techniques and if not, would you have any sort of a suggestion?  I even thought about a lake guide book but that didn’t seem to interest him.

i reckon you suggested PLAYBOY magazine!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
He ain't into reading at this age, unless it's a phone. Glenn wants to get his blood pressure going which is good but the kid could use waiters for fishing and hunting.  A kayak would be nice..

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Hi there,

i reckon you suggested PLAYBOY magazine!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm not going to pass along your perverted request.....the management....  :banghead:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
A couple subscriptions to magzines like fur fish game, outdoor life, north ameracn whitetale, they always intrigued me to continue outdoor pursuits
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Hi there,

I'm not going to pass along your perverted request.....the management....  :banghead:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: and for the record......reread my post........i said you suggested it. i would NEVER...............

i dont know but seriously........i'd be pretty bummed getting a friggin magazine for christmas at age 13.  :doah: :confused: get him actual fishing clothes or equipment for gawds sake!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Hi there,

Just like my grandsons. They are into Fishing and Hunting, but their father does not hunt, shoot or own guns.  If the kid doesn't have anyone to take him hunting at this point, it may be better to stay with the fishing stuff for now so he can actually use it.  You may ask her what he already has for fishing and suggest other items to fill in the gaps. 
« Last Edit: December 12/06/22, 07:02:14 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Glenn you would be selfish at any age and unappreciative ofna gift.. oh humm. It can be part of a gift with clothes or equipment added to it.
78.50"

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
HD, the Minnesota Deer Hunters Assoc. sponsors kids every year to attend Forkhorn camps in the Summer. Our chapter here in Alex. tries to get four or five kids to go each year. You could contact one of the chapters in SW Minn. to see if they would be interested in helping out. These are 7 day camps and if they would like to send the youngster they need to get signed up now. If he doesn't have his firearms safety cert. the Forkhorn One would be perfect. Just an idea, send me an email if you have any questions. Thanks, Mark.
mm

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn you would be selfish at any age and unappreciative ofna gift.. oh humm. It can be part of a gift with clothes or equipment added to it.
what magazines did you get your kids when they were 13??????

i'm not looking at it as selfish......just that isnt what kids expect for christmas at age 13!!!!!! maybe i'm wrong........but i doubt it!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Great idea, Mark.

Maybe an assortment of Rapalas.  Get as many as you budget allows.

I could never afford the real things when I was a kid.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I loved hunting and fishing mags when I was 13. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I loved hunting and fishing mags when I was 13.
I did too, but today's yout' has a different attention span.

P.S.  Are Playboy mags still even a thing?   :scratch: :embarrassed:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
How bout an overnight fishing trip in a shack on Red or somewhere? Glenn could maybe spare some of his filthy magazines if the fishing is slow.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: a come on guys it was just a joke  :confused: :embarrassed: i didnt think he was serious about that email at first!!!!!!! :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
How bout an overnight fishing trip in a shack on Red or somewhere? Glenn could maybe spare some of his filthy magazines if the fishing is slow.

or his emails!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: :pouty: :pouty: a come on guys it was just a joke  :confused: :embarrassed: i didnt think he was serious about that email at first!!!!!!! :doah:
Well, you weren't wrong.   :sleazy:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
It seems cost might be a consideration also. I think you could go to a used DVD store and get a pretty good assortment of hunting, fishing, trapping videos for not much money. Toss in a few new fishing lures (spinning bait) and you should be covered.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The videos are fun to watch in the winter. These days there is so much to watch on YouTube also.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Nope, this is a legit request from a guest asking a question. I don't blow smoke up someone's ass for craps and giggles...

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Besides all the bs, not bad recomendations...
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
She found the thread, and this is the latest email she sent to me.......

LOL, so I just found the thread, and man they are brutal!  J/K

I should try to save face and explain, I do the 4 gift rule for the kids at my house, something they NEED, something they WANT, something to WEAR, and something to READ.  And he is not one that sits down to read a book *unless it is an assignment*  😊 so I was more or less trying to be creative on his “read” gift.   

Thanks for asking the question.

#momfail 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HD didnt you talk her into just joining us well informed sportspeople!!!!!!!1 :happy1:  not sure if i'd call it brutal.......but more of an "enlightning" education!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

had i known her intents.........i most certainly would of been more help!!!! :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
13?  Doesn't like to read much.  Try this one.  It may capture his imagination.  I still like to read it.

Us old timers remember Eric Sevaried as a national journalist and newscaster for CBS.  But he also penned this book about the adventure he and a friend took right out of high school canoeing from St. Paul to Hudson Bay.  This is BIG adventure that was possible HERE just a couple of generations ago and it is a true story.

Canoeing with the Cree, by Eric Sevareid

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
This is another classic, but this one is fiction.  A teenager survives a plane crash in the wilderness and figures out how to survive on his own.

Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen

I read both of these books as an adult.  This one is geared more towards young readers, but I think "Canoeing with the Cree" works for males (and females) of all ages who have an inclination towards the outdoors.
« Last Edit: December 12/09/22, 09:55:07 AM by Steve-o »