Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 51773 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, nice radish for sure.  I had cut the tops (bigger than most corn stalks) off the cannas a week ago. Today I dug the bulbs and will have to get them inside before tonight's freeze. Sheech it's hard to get any serious hunting in lately.

I used the good ol' bean hook to cut the stalks on our cannas. I was just thinking about that too deadeye while I was soil sampling this afternoon. Would've been a nice day to be hunting in the woods out of the wind. Now I'm kinda hungry for some fried or grilled squirrel. Would taste pretty good for supper. Could shoot the nice young fox squirrels I've been feeding in the backyard I suppose...:whistling: And yup Ken, that's a watermelon or red meat radish. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Mine have never gotten that big.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Got the site prepped for the new 2023 garden. Next come the fencing hopefully this fall or spring.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: :happy1: aint gonna be big enough!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a good laugh yesterday. Dropped off some winter radishes at a customer's place. Didn't find him around so put them in his squeeze's pickup. Called him to let him know they were there then asked how his apples turned out. I've been pruning them for him since he 1st got them. Good he said but you never told me I had a pear tree. Huh?!?!? Said his SO was out walking around the yard last month and found a bunch of pears she thought some pranksters had tossed out under the tree. When she confronted the potential suspects, they all denied it. She went back out, looked up in the tree and sure enough, pears! When I'm pruning their trees, there are never any leaves or flowers on them. There is one tho that's displayed a more upright growth habit and is taller. Sure enough, that's the pear tree.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Rainbow Salsa......Red Tomatoes, Yellow Tomatoes, Green Tomatoes, Red and Green Peppers, Onions. All from my garden......last of the Tomatoes and Bell Peppers.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks awesome Ken! Wife made one of the last batches of stuffed peppers last nite. I was starving.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
LONG time till next August. Store bought after this. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Longer than I'd like for sure. Just wish it would rain enough so I could tear up the new patch for next spring.

Put the mulching blades & attachment on the zero turn yesterday afternoon to grind up leaves. Hadn't used it with the kit on it before but was impressed. It pretty much vaporized everything including the oak leaves. Even tho there are still a few leaves on the trees, figured I'd grind up the mat that had developed in areas of the lawn before it rains. Will be easier to run those remaining leaves thru now. Really appreciate the hackberry trees. Leaves lay flat and when you go over them, you have no idea they were ever there. Was a dusty dirty job but no one else was going to do it. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Ground is really hard here. Will have to wait until next spring to till my main garden. I was able to turn over my wife's flower beds by hand using a spading fork.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen a stretch like this since 2012. We can't soil sample hay fields. Can't get the probe in the ground. Even if we could, the potassium tests would likely be worthless, just like they were in 2012.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
pretty dry in this neck of the woods too!!!!!!!!! :confused:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Doing some indoor gardening, sort of, since the wife has been on IR. People have brought plants, flowers, etc.,, God bless them, and guess who gets to take care of them? :scratch: Someone gave her a gift bag the other day. The lady had told me I'd have to help the Mrs. with it. It was a couple amaryllis bulbs sans the usual planting kit so guess who had to round up all the stuff for that? This is a lot like the outdoor gardening thing. She gets it then I take care of it. Not liking where this is going...🤨
« Last Edit: December 12/23/22, 12:46:52 PM by Dotch »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you're a good man Charlie Brown!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I doubt they will be blooming on Christmas.  :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You always get all the amaryllis bulbs.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I did on Tuesday that's for sure. Be lucky if they bloom by Valentine's Day.  :rolleyes: