Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 44271 times)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
make sure to wear your orange!!!!
Yes I need to be legal.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
make sure to wear your orange!!!!
Yes I need to be legal.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Bambi had the wrens on lookout, you'll never get it!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I went to bomgaars with the intention of buying what I need to put a solar fence around the garden. I decided I need to educate myself before buying. This stuff ain't cheap and I need to figure out if one of the smaller units would fo the job. Roughly 200 feet perimeter on our shrunk down garden. I would need either two or three strands of wire.
After I realized I was getting close to $500 worth of stuff in the cart I realized you can buy a lot of beets for that kind of money so I calmly put everything back.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I keep thinking of what you said about the 160 acres of peas and the deers got your beans.  ???   Interesting.  So are those peas for human consumption?  I suppose.  Do they can them or freeze them or don't you know?  That's a lot of peas.  I didn't realize that a solar fence would be so expensive.  Use 110.  LOLOL  Just kidding of course. 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The peas are grown for Birdseye. They will be frozen. Hopefully all this heat won't fry them
 They were planted on May 31st. Really a late planting.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting Roony.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
These pictures are from 2018. After several years of feeding the deer, I got a fence. Best thing is it was free. My sons company took down a 6 foot black fence from a day care. They were going to trash it so I picked it up.

Electric fence probably wouldn't do any good here.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This is what it looks like today. A couple weeks ago I left the gate open and had visitors during the night. Deer tracks all over the place.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I spray deer repellent around mine when the corn starts to ripen. Mimics the smell of Coyote Urine. They won't come close to it. Keeps the bunnies away too.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I sprayed the heck out of things last night with liquid fence. The deer must like it. Last night they attacked my cukes.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have a Corgi eating my sunflowers... :whistling:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The peas are grown for Birdseye. They will be frozen. Hopefully all this heat won't fry them
 They were planted on May 31st. Really a late planting.

Are you one of those people who get some peas to freeze when they're out there harvesting roony? Some folks used to have an elaborate setup to get them rinsed clean. We tried doing it once using a strainer and a garden hose. It was tough to get all the dirt out of them so we never did it again.   
« Last Edit: June 06/29/23, 11:11:01 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't done that. If I want some to eat I will shuck them out of the pods myself. There Haven't been peas here since 1978 or so. I like steamed pea pods from Sugar Snap varieties. I wonder how they'd be on these???
I might get a few pails to shove up some deers arses.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Being that long since there were peas raised there, they should be decent if the heat and dry doesn't mess them up. I see the organic pea field on the Lake Road is about to get taken over by all the foxtail. Reminds me, I need to lay in a few more varieties of snap peas for the fall crop. I like eating them raw. Between that and sweet corn, it really cuts down on my use of stool softeners.   

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Being that long since there were peas raised there, they should be decent if the heat and dry doesn't mess them up. I see the organic pea field on the Lake Road is about to get taken over by all the foxtail. Reminds me, I need to lay in a few more varieties of snap peas for the fall crop. I like eating them raw. Between that and sweet corn, it really cuts down on my use of stool softeners.
is that a hint for LPS!!!!    Glenn wants to know!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :tut: did not!! :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Kohlrabi ready to eat. These were started mid April in the house and transplanted out. Just ate the smaller one for lunch today. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I noticed today there is a stray blossom here and there in the peas. Gussing late July or early August for harvest

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Wife’s flowers in front of the house. Can’t eat them, but they look nice. :happy1:

mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
couple days ago i found a kalarabi about the size of a tennis ball.............so i promptly ate it!!!!!! :happy1:

watering tonight i noticed i gotta pickle some jalapeno peppers soon!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After weeding & thinning 5 rows of Indian corn ~150' in length this afternoon, weeded the 8 rows of my own Indian corn & 6 rows of sunflowers tonight after chores. Fortunately mine are only ~15' long. All my test plot maintenance experience comes in handy. Disappointed though in the unevenness of emergence of much of the garden but probably shouldn't be given the circumstances. Corn and soybean emergence was uneven too especially with the later planted stuff. Something I forgot to do was to put some neonic seed treatment on the seed prior to planting. Sure it was dry but the more I think about it, since it was sod broken up only recently, the area the garden is in probably has some wireworm pressure. Rarely see it anymore in fields crops; the majority of the seed is treated with a neonic insecticide. In the heat of the battle sometimes you can forget, especially when your own stuff only gets attention after everyone else's.   

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/articles/wireworms/

« Last Edit: June 06/29/23, 10:35:52 PM by Dotch »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, those look similar to the mealworm that I get for the birds?? At least that's what Google said when I did the search for mealworm???

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Mom always said you could harvest asparagus up to the end of June so I picked it for the last time this season.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, those look similar to the mealworm that I get for the birds?? At least that's what Google said when I did the search for mealworm???

The larvae are similar in appearance but wireworm larvae spend their time feeding on live plant tissue underground. They are usually smaller as well compared to the mealworms I'm used to seeing. Used to find the mealworm larvae and adults in the oat bin a lot when I was a kid. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got a call from Becks today.......i coulda got my 1/2 bushel of small pickles today.......just aint ready today. scheduled to get them july 5th, be ready then!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked jalapeno peppers this morning.  Got some kalahrabi next on the list. :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you ever leave on the plant to ripen further??

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sometimes I let some on till they start turning red.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man, anyone else dealing with boxelder bugs!! :confused: :angry2: sheesh there bad already. Little buzzard's fornicating on the siding and in my landscape rocks!! :confused: been a daily job spraying them darn things

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not yet, but that was why I sprayed the house down with tempo yesterday, besides the spiders and such...