Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 43022 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Smurfette: Why is this steak green glenn?

glenn: Thought I'd add a little food coloring to make it prettier!  :doah:

we could really age a steak to turn it green for Glenn!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doofus: :doofus: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

i wasnt the one suggesting he likes more color on his plate!!!!!!!!! :tut: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just picked and pulled the green beans........then before i know it i had the garden all weeded.  :happy1:

i was surprised at the amount of moisture in the ground......enough as to not have to water today!!!!!!  :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Put in a 4 hour bomb session yesterday afternoon & evening in the garden. Got started weeding & since it was going good, didn't stop. Never ending battle & there are still some to get out of the last planting of sweet corn & sunflowers as well as the vine crops. Had lots of dog help so that made the time go by more quickly. Picked two gallon and two quart sized bags worth of string beans. Not bad considering they're mainly from one 15' row of Tendergreen. When I looked at the other two rows, they're loaded with flowers, especially the Blue Lake variety. A lot of those two rows were replanted. Glad I didn't go ahead with my original plan to plant more string beans over 4th of July. See some tomatoes blushing so should have some soon with the cooler nighttime temps. Vine crops are loaded underneath the dense canopy. Lots of zucchini, some that got ahead of me in the heat. No biggy. They're a renewable resource and sheep love 'em. Should make my adopted 93 year old mom's day to get beans and zucchini. Eyeing up my area to plant winter radishes and snap peas along with several watering options. Should happen some evening this week.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The old disappearing LP tank trick...and it almost worked!  :cool:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I like that!!!   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Clever idea.  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We had a bunch of tiger lilies behind the old garage before we tore it down. The lilies remained but were right in the way so I decided to move some rather than killing them all off. I wasn't real sure when I put them around the LP tank how it would work. That's what they make glyphosate for. One fall I dug the holes, put some sheep manure in the bottom of each one, plopped the bulbs in, covered them up & hoped for the best. I was a little concerned after they came up the next spring that they'd make a snow fence and cause problems for the LP man. Was relieved when fall came that the canes died down and went flat. The first couple years I removed them but the past few seasons I've just ground them up with the lawnmower. The pollinators like the tiger lilies especially the big yellow tiger swallowtail butterflies. Tough to get them to sit still long enough to get a good picture but they're beautiful just the same. 
« Last Edit: August 08/01/23, 08:21:00 PM by Dotch »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered about the LP guy too.  Good program.   :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked a handful of green beans. The evil ones left just enough for us to get a taste.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I still have two full gallon bags in the fridge roony. Auntie Mar Mar has spoken for one of them but the other is still available if you'd like. We're not getting to them with the Freeborn Co. Fair on right now. I could see this morning there will be more ready to pick tomorrow or Friday. Think we have a doe with a fawn here. Have seen the fawn so guessing the doe isn't far off. There is a big pile of adult-sized deer poop to step in right by the beans but they haven't messed with them. Must be because of our attack Corgi... :whistling: Something did eat a bunch of the leaves off one cucumber plant. Not sure why. Generally bitter tasting & not real palatable.  :scratch: 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked a handful of green beans. The evil ones left just enough for us to get a taste.

make dinner out the evil ones!!!!     :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I have read that deer don't bother cukes but they have messed with ours the last two years. My half fast fence deters them enough though. Next year it will be an electric fence around the garden.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Have you tried a Deer Repellent. I am spraying Liquid Fence around my Sweet Corn. Haven't had any problems since. Keeps rabbits away too.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
How is it on raccoons? Judging by the feeding in the field corn north of my building site, can see there's a small army of them camped in it. They even tore down one of the plants I had a sticky trap attached to. Never seen that before. :doah: I can run electric around the other two sides of the sweet corn patch pretty quickly if need be.
« Last Edit: August 08/02/23, 02:17:54 PM by Dotch »

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Can’t say how well it works for raccoons, but I tried a a Bonide product this year to keep the deer from mowing the hostas to the ground. Applied it twice, but I honestly think one application would’ve worked.  Not so much as a single chomp on any of them.  The active ingredient is putrescent eggs.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Tried the liquid fence but it didn't work for us. Someone told me is you place a little piece of lead on their forehead that would deter them.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Instead of spraying, I put some in tuna cans placed along the edge. Works for me.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
We used a radio on an all night talk show station to keep recoons and deer away from the garden. I like the lead idea for deer. Steaks for your veggies. :happy1:
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I love it when the deer chew off all the hostas at the cabin. :sleazy:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The garden is starting to produce. Next thing is there will be an overabundance of tomatoes.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
We're having a problem with grasshoppers again. Daughter read that sprinkling regular flour on the tomatoes and peppers would help get rid of them. We tried it. It works. A few stragglers, but not many.

We also saw another big black and yellow spider on our milkweed.
I got a GED. I couldnt speel deploma.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey roony, the comely young lass is back selling sweet corn on the corner of 13 & 30 again! Stocked my fridge to tide me over a while until ours gets ready. I'll get some from my neighbor to the north too once I get thru this batch. He's got staggered plantings that should keep him going for another 3 weeks to a month. He's a $ a dozen cheaper but not nearly as cute as the gal in town... :sad:
« Last Edit: August 08/03/23, 02:32:26 PM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
It would take about $10 in gas for me to drive there.
What is she wearing?

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Shorts, a bare midriff  T, a tan & a smile. Sales appear to be brisk.  :shocked:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Are you sure she's selling sweet corn?
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Who cares.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup roony. She's a good girl, very smart. We share the same birthday. We gave her presents for many years. Her folks are good people too. Shared a lot of laughs with her dad. Fresh market sweet corn business is helping to put her through college. She will go far.   

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Been a while since mom was in the care center during sweet corn season.
Hope she has a good season@

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Planted a row each of cherry belle, white globe and watermelon radishes tonite. Also put in a row of snap peas. That should nix any chance of rain we had for the weekend. Was going to pick string beans too but the last minute lamb project neighbors decided their daughter needed to come up and work with their ewe lamb. That lasted until the lamb wilted in the heat & I called it. Where are they when it's cool in the morning? Oh yeah, they don't get their assets out of bed until well after 8, well after we're already at work. No problem. I can always get up early and pick beans.  :angry:  :rolleyes: