Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 37269 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
That should work nicely. And the deer will be happy they won't need to bend over as far to reach it.  ;)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea dutchy.....and set up a trail camera so you can post those pictures!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
That should work nicely. And the deer will be happy they won't need to bend over as far to reach it.  ;)

I'm always willing to help.   ;)  I actually hope they don't learn to climb the steps onto the deck.. :tut:
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
1st bloom fully opened today on the one amaryllis. If we keep it watered & Poppy leaves it alone, it should provide many days worth of flowering. Luckily there is no squeaker in it or she would have torn it apart long ago.  :rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Snapped this shot this a.m. Probably the nicest amaryllis we've ever had. The lady who gave it to us sourced it from Bachmann's. There is actually a 3rd flowering stalk emerging between the 1st two.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do they just flower at this time of year?  Beautiful deep red.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Do they just flower at this time of year?  Beautiful deep red.
with the amount of fertilizer he flings around.........it grow outside today!!!!!!!  :sleazy: :nerd: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Used up the last onion from the garden today! We did get some from a friend so don't need to buy yet!👍

So Dotch, these flowers, are they eventually getting planted outside this spring???
« Last Edit: January 01/31/23, 04:58:37 PM by glenn57 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
To answer a few questions: In general, these amaryllis bulbs are designed to bloom around Christmastime or wintertime because of the way they're handled altho they can be forced to bloom in summer by the proper timing. When they're allowed to go dormant after flowering & stored at 40 - 50 degrees F for 4 - 6 weeks, then they can be taken and planted after that. They're capable of being planted outside but are temperature sensitive if it gets below 50 F. We got a whole bunch of bulbs that were carryover from a hardware store at our office one time. They had sat for a year on the shelves before they removed them. Price was right so we planted them out and all we got was vegetative growth. Think it helps to get stock from a reliable source rather than seeing them on sale at K Mart. These recent bulbs we were given were large and firm; in great condition. Some we've planted over the years haven't been as nice. Here's a link explaining handling amaryllis in more detail:

https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Amaryllis-Flowers
« Last Edit: February 02/01/23, 10:54:23 AM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
If ya can't eat em they're weeds.
My maternal grandmother grew more types of flowers than you can imagine. Grandpa called them weeds.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I hope the wrens come back early this year... :whistling:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Me too, I need the eggs.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Me too, I need the eggs.

How many dozen wrens eggs does it take for a meal for you?? :sleazy: :sleazy: :sleazy:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
About a gross.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
No wonder why they left.. :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
years ago we knew a fellow who raised pheasants, all the extra eggs that they didn't want to hatch they threw away..  well a few times we got ahold of some and by some, 5 gallon pails sometimes!!!   well they were a pain in the arse to work with but they tasted good!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When in high school my younger brother worked at a turkey farm and would bring turkey eggs home sometimes.  I was in my glory they were big and real good. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
years ago we knew a fellow who raised pheasants, all the extra eggs that they didn't want to hatch they threw away..  well a few times we got ahold of some and by some, 5 gallon pails sometimes!!!   well they were a pain in the arse to work with but they tasted good!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Pheasant killer!!  :tut: ;)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea no kidding!! :confused: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

yup just like chicken killers!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
While awaiting the arrival of the wrens, the amaryllis continue to provide color. The 2nd bulb decided to open up. It's a double-bloom model. There's still one flower bud to open. The third flower stalk on the amaryllis that blossomed initially opened recently as well. Don't recall ever having one with that many blooms on it. Think we'll try to keep these two as they've been so pretty & fun to watch.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am a dill pickle nut.  Love em.  Like to try different ones too.  We made 42 qts this year and are already down to 22 of them.  I have been hitting them hard.  That is a good thing.  I have been watching pickle fermenting videos.  Just let sit on the counter and they are done in a week or so.  I think I will make some of them this summer.  Ever done that?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
do ya drink the pickle juice too??   supposed to be good us..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya I sip on it.  Olive juice too.  Like a good real dirty martini with olive juice. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Me like pickles to!! I made about 40 qts last year. Some I added tia chili peppers to it for a little zing.

You just made me get a jar 🤣 of course then I needed to crab some pickled green 🍏! :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
#metoo!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I got a lights out homemade bloody Mary mix that calls for pickle juice!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
When I bartended in Wisconsin way back when a Pickle spear in a Bloody Mary was a must.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
still is around here any way...