Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 37256 times)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had to munch on a few pickles too after we got on this subject.  I like Bloody Marys too.  I put pickle or olive juice in them too.   :happy1: :happy1:  May have to have one tonight. Or two.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I love’em too, but tend to make them with a little too much vodka. They tend to sneak up on me and the lights go out after two good sized ones.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
With a 16' trellis I've been doing refrigerator pickles it seams every other day while they are cranking out. So last year I tried my hand at canning a few jars, man they turned out mushy, great flavor but no snap. They were cut up so maybe keep em whole???

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Definitely keep whole. And how long you hot bath then?? I don't hot bath them more than 10 minutes!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, close to 20 on this recipe. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, close to 20 on this recipe.
recipes are merely suggestions!! :sleazy: :happy1:

I had that problem in the past even with the pickle being while, I just decided to try 10 minutes and they turn out fine. All you need to do is get it hot enough for the lid to seal!👍

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Hey you pickle experts.....what do you call those chunk style pickles that are a darker green?

How about a good sweet relish recipe, anybody have one?
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My mom used to make some sweet chunky pickles & used green food coloring. Very crisp. Called them crystal pickles. No idea why. I'm sure glenn has lots of sweet pickle recipes... :whistling:
« Last Edit: February 02/16/23, 10:33:03 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: I don't do sweet pickles. I'm sweet enough my wife says!! :sleazy: :smoking:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: I don't do sweet pickles. I'm sweet enough my wife says!! :sleazy: :smoking:

day dreamer!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey you pickle experts.....what do you call those chunk style pickles that are a darker green?

How about a good sweet relish recipe, anybody have one?
in a bit dutchy I'll have 2 sweet type pickles in the recipe thread  :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

:scratch: She likes to forget about his dark side. :rolleyes: :doah:            ;) :smiley:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do like those real green ones too Dutch.  I also like bread and butter pickles.  They are quick to make. Man I need some cukes.  lol  Did you see how expensive they are in the stores now.  I will wait till summer.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking of pickles the thing I have never made but just love them are pickled beets.  Man those are good.  I can drink some of that brine too. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We ate the last of our beet pickles at Christmas time. I have to grow beets this year.. we havea hard time keeping the rabbits and deer away from them. They sure love beets.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Anybody else ever done watermelon pickles?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My Grandma always made them. Yum

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Whilst I was lighting the grill yesterday I peered over the porch railing to see that our daffodils are starting to emerge. As cold as its been I could hardly believe it. They are on the south side of the house however ~ 2 feet away from the basement wall. I know there was no frost along the east side of the house last Thursday when I checked but it didn't dawn on me to look for any of the spring bulbs then.  :doah:
« Last Edit: March 03/20/23, 11:08:47 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday, Saw the crocuses have started poking through out in the bed by the lilac bushes. Scraped the leaves away from the sprouts so they'll hopefully take off a little faster. Need to get them moved this next fall if possible. Will be cutting the lilacs out of there too as they've run their course. They were supposed to be dwarf variegated lilacs. Well, at least they got the lilacs & variegated part right. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Good old Wedge Nursery. :rolleyes: :rotflmao: I see we have lots more bulbs coming to life in the bed by the house. More jonquils, hyacinths and tulips where I've stuck some of the spring bulb pots the past couple years. Ooooo! Almost forgot, saw some rhubarb starting to show up under last year's residue. Man I could go for a big ol' hunk of fresh out of the oven rhubarb pie or sauce with Schwan's vanilla ice cream!  :happy1: 
« Last Edit: March 03/26/23, 11:57:40 AM by Dotch »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :pouty: i still have at least 3 feet of snow covering my garden!!!!!! i am however starting to see the hen-n- chicks and were her hostas ate planted on the west side of the house!!!

maybe there is hope!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Yeah.....3 feet of snow yet. But I start my transplants on April 1. Next weekend. So winter is almost over.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got my seeds on order today, I'll start them when they show up.

I'm going to add another box to my raised beds just to try Glenns dill again (maybe it will do better there)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got string bean & cucumber seed for my birthday.  Took a couple packages of frozen string beans over to the lady who has been on hospice care along with a spring bulb planter. Yesterday the pussy willows were ready. Thought it was late but actually about on schedule according to the date on most year's pictures. Just getting started. The west side of the main bush was pretty nice while the east side had a ways to go yet. There were some other bushes I couldn't get to because the water was too high. Some of those are female bushes so they'll be good for a while yet.
« Last Edit: April 04/03/23, 09:32:58 PM by Dotch »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well happy birthday sir!!!   :Clap: :party3: :happybday:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, happy b-day Dotch!! Your doing good if you gots some pussy....Willows on your big day!! :happy1: :bow:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy Birthday Dotch.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy Birthday Dotch!!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy Birthday young man!
Picked up some cuke seeds and afre tomato and pepper plants yesterday at my favorite nursery in KC.