Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 37272 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We decided to use the 160 gallon poly water tanks.  I will put rock in the bottom.  I got some 3/4" granite in my trailer.  I was thinking of putting down a layer of rock and sit the tank on it before I fill it.  Should drill holes in the bottom of it too.  Suppose the more the better?????   I have some plywood scraps and thought I would even make whatever wood structure in it so the weight of everything may not be as great on the structure of the tank????   Maybe put that fabric on top of the rock?????   How much dirt should I have on top?????   Any advice appreciated.  Pretty excited about it now.
Back when we grew stuff in pails I had 5 holes drilled in. They drained really quick,  keep an eye on em. When we went otta town after a few days the plants looked sick, a little water and they would bounce back up. Just a few holes I say.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:happy1: :happy1:
Asparagus is struggling too I see.
this patch was really slow to start for some reason. i'll go back out saturday......with the supposed rain coming i think its going to take off!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
One thing we've had plenty of down here is moisture. You are way ahead of me on planting, I just don't like to mud things in.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Garden planting almost done...... Now waiting for the weeds to start.

WHY ARE MY PICS UPSIDE DOWN? Yet, when clicked on, they are right side up????

My 2 greenhouses on my patio with plants started

85 Solstice bicolor corn ready to transplant

All corn transplanted into 4 rows, plus 4 rows of  Freedom white corn seeded

14 hills of melons under cloches....cantalope, Israeli, Santa Claus melons. Plus yellow, orange and red watermelon plants.

5 rows of strawberry plants....Ogalalla, Cabot, and Honeyoe
« Last Edit: May 05/23/23, 03:37:16 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When you take the picture then hit edit and resize it any little bit and it seems like it knows which way is up them.  We can click on them and they turn out right for us.  Nice garden.  So you leave those boards and just till between them?  I have always wanted to go big and plant corn.  Maybe in my pasture right by the garden.  Great idea for next year though.  Impressive Ken.  Keep the pics coming.   :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes.....I pick up the boards. Then till. Then put them back down again. I rotate the plants every year so they don't get planted there for 4 years. So you can reach the middle from either side.

I want rows that are at least 3-4 feet wide.  I learned a long time ago from the National Gardening Assoc. to plant wide rows. Like scattering bean seeds over the row. Or onions plants with 3 rows inside that 3 feet. Carrot and beets 4 rows inside that 3-4 feet. More plants and less for paths.

With the strawberries, I mow over half the row and till that part under. Then let new runners from the plants left to fill in the bare half. The best and biggest berries come from those daughter plants.
« Last Edit: May 05/23/23, 03:57:00 PM by KEN W »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good for you.  That sounds like a lot of fun.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Amazing how fast it has dried out here after being a regular slough hole two weeks ago. There's moisture down a couple inches but the ground is hard as a brick in places, especially on the lower organic matter soil. Too bad I felt so crappy the past couple weeks or we could've had a lot more done. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here. Red Flag warnings out with high fire danger in all NW Minnesota. Windy and HOT.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
spent some time in the garden this afternoon........all them friggin elm seeds are sprouting.  what a pain!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So far the garden's been a disaster this year. I'm not sure what I did but I managed to kill 16 of 20 tomato plants (the other 4 don't look so hot either). Also, most of the peppers have croaked. I'm not sure if there was something in the dirt when I transplanted them or they got a wiff of weed killer when I sprayed the yard. Most of my wife's marigolds died as well.   :angry2:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ken, I have found with my phone, how I take the picture matters.
If I take a picture with my phone straight up, it posts on its side or upside down.
If I take a picture with the phone horizontal, it comes out right.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
spent some time in the garden this afternoon........all them friggin elm seeds are sprouting.  what a pain!!!!!!!!!!
:tut:    :violin: :violin: :violin: :cry: :cry: :cry:       :nerd:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Ken, I have found with my phone, how I take the picture matters.
If I take a picture with my phone straight up, it posts on its side or upside down.
If I take a picture with the phone horizontal, it comes out right.

OK.....will try to remember that.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So far the garden's been a disaster this year. I'm not sure what I did but I managed to kill 16 of 20 tomato plants (the other 4 don't look so hot either). Also, most of the peppers have croaked. I'm not sure if there was something in the dirt when I transplanted them or they got a wiff of weed killer when I sprayed the yard. Most of my wife's marigolds died as well.   :angry2:

Bummer deadeye. Was thinking of you the other day. Checking our canna inventory, I see only 1 of the four yellow canna bulbs came thru the winter. Back to square one.  :doah: Stored in the same heated to 50 degree garage the taller red models were. Probably shouldn't have divided them last fall. Very little mortality in the red bulbs with the same treatment. Way more of those than I can plant so there will be a couple 2 bushel baskets of sheep feed. Planting garden in staggered fashion today. Tough to stay hydrated & won't put the transplants out until towards evening. Finish canna planting and prolly some string beans. Looks like we'll have lots of room for sweet corn.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Considering the garden didn't get any water for a week while we were gone it looks surprisingly good.  Last year I put mulch around the tomatoes,  this year I mulched everything,  maybe that's why??

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Was hoping I could plant some string beans and transplants tonite but after chores it got dead still. The mosquitoes were ferocious. At least I got 30 canna bulbs planted along with 4 rows of 4 o'clocks. Also got mowing done & 8 strips tilled in the pasture I'd scorched off so we can plant the squash, pumpkins and gourds. If past experience here is any indication, I'm expecting lots of crabgrass in that area. Where there's no tillage between the strips, it should help keep that to a minimum. If not, I have plenty of clethodim on hand.   
« Last Edit: May 05/29/23, 07:52:08 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nummy. :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Those look great. Are they hot???

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
They got a little bite!! :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gotta have some bite. Otherwise they're turnips! 😮

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
or worse yet, taste like cottage cheese. :rolleyes: :shocked:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sliced radishes in cottage cheese!!!   good idea Glenn!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sliced radishes in cottage cheese!!!   good idea Glenn!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
:confused: training-087 training-087 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman

:censored: :censored: :censored:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You harvested them out of your garden already???  Ours are a couple inches high. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine are just starting to bulb up.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
You harvested them out of your garden already???  Ours are a couple inches high.

maybe they are rejects from the store??    :scratch: :scratch: