Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 37295 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered about that too Mike.  He may not even have a garden this year but is just posting pics of stuff from the store...   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
You harvested them out of your garden already???  Ours are a couple inches high.

maybe they are rejects from the store??    :scratch: :scratch:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :tut: :tut: :tut:

why yes....yes i got them from my garden!!!!!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok you doubters. :mooning: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Slapped in 32 hills of the larger vine crops last nite, hoping it would rain. That didn't happen but at least there are 8 hills of buttercup squash, 8 hills of pumpkins & 16 hills of decorative gourds planted. Working with one of my clients on a project where he's growing Indian corn and corn to make decorative bundles to sell to retailers & online. Actually his wife is in charge of the selling part and we're just responsible for growing & harvesting it. Some of my gourds if they materialize may be sold that way. Looking for a corn binder so we can make corn bundles without having to manually manufacture them. I've grown this kind of stuff for years but not on the scale he's talking about. It's been fun so far.   
« Last Edit: June 06/01/23, 10:25:01 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a beautiful garden Glenn. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: thanks.....i take pride in it!!!!!! its a lot less weeded now but its getting toasty out there, especially feeling crappy!!!!! :embarrassed:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Slapped in 32 hills of the larger vine crops last nite, hoping it would rain. That didn't happen but at least there are 8 hills of buttercup squash, 8 hills of pumpkins & 16 hills of decorative gourds planted. Working with one of my clients on a project where he's growing Indian corn and corn to make decorative bundles to sell to retailers & online. Actually his wife is in charge of the selling part and we're just responsible for growing & harvesting it. Some of my gourds if they materialize may be sold that way. Looking for a corn binder so we can make corn bundles without having to manually manufacture them. I've grown this kind of stuff for years but not on the scale he's talking about. It's been fun so far.
yea yea.......without pictures your planting a cash crop of mary jane for timmy!!!!!!!!!1 :mooning: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i hope Roony notices my wren hotel up in the right hand corner!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure he's busy checking on all his wren houses and putting mints on their little pillows for when they go nigh-nigh... :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finally got some black dirt to finish covering the area where it was dug up to replace the septic tank. Last year my son brought some dirt and spread it with a skid steer but we were short. I had 12 yards delivered yesterday so it looks like I have another project. Probable will add some to the gardens as well as fill any holes or ruts in the lawn. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
i hope Roony notices my wren hotel up in the right hand corner!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

No wonder your Bluebird committed suicide.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
yea yea.......without pictures your planting a cash crop of mary jane for timmy!!!!!!!!!1 :mooning: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Careful, zee party hass vays uff dealink vish zhu trobblemakerz. It vill not be tolerated... :tut:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Careful, zee party hass vays uff dealink vish zhu trobblemakerz. It vill not be tolerated... :tut:
ya, load all ov doze plants into my panzerkampfwagen over der und I vill make sure everytingk is allokated to our komrades equitably. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: HEY BOARSKI...... i need an interrupter  :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Lol! Yesterday I noticed all the trellis stuff was looking kinda weak. It's not mulched like the rest so I mixed up some Miracle-Gro and fed everything,  today it all looks much better,  musta been the heat.  Anywho we just had a good rain shower come thru,  the yard needed that big time!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Planted Jet Star, Celebrity +, Better Boy, & La Roma tomatoes last nite, 4 of each variety. Plunked in 4 King Arthur peppers & 4 jalapenos as well. The wife may be bringing me another 4 bell peppers of some kind. Have a yellow pear, a smaller cherry & a grape tomato left to plant in the small garden close to the house. A couple zucchini & a spaghetti squash left to transplant then we should be good in that dept. Watered everything in that was planted early this a.m. Saw a striped gopher a couple times while I was planting last nite. Got the blunderbuss out but never saw him again. Imagine that.  :scratch:   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
2nd round of radishes pulled and cleaned, garden all weeded, all cans off peppers and tomatoes......cages around all tomatoes.........  :happy1:

time for a dotch style nap!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :sleazy:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya better enjoy that nap while ya can. When Smurfette comes home and starts crackin' the whip, won't be any time to spare!  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: naw I'll just nap same time she nods off. I'm sure she'll be getting some good pain meds!! :sleazy: :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Hey garden gurus!!  I didnt get my pumpkins in. Im thinking of starting some today in pots then tranplanting. Wer i wan them. Is it to late?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey garden gurus!!  I didnt get my pumpkins in. Im thinking of starting some today in pots then tranplanting. Wer i wan them. Is it to late?
i never grew a pumpkin in my life.......watermelon yes.........but why not just put the seed in the ground where you want them right away??????

i wouldnt think its to late.......they'll just be ready later.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Not to late. But you probably don't have bottom heat if you start them in a pot. With all this heat, the ground is warmer than a pot. 6 or so seeds in an elevated circle and thin to the strongest 3 plants when they have 2 true baby leaves. Use a hoe to make a 15 inch or so circle 2-3 inches high. Water them immediately.

I usually put some 10-10-10 garden fertilizer on the ground first, then using a hoe pull up the ground into that 15 inch circle.

This is also how I plant Squash, Zucchini, and Cucumbers.
« Last Edit: June 06/04/23, 09:57:07 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still picking away at the garden. Got a couple zukes in a few days ago along with 12 rows of sweet corn. Planted four more nice bell peppers last nite & a spaghetti squash. Put in 6 hills of cukes closer to the house in the small garden this morning. Easier access to water that way. Wife's ankle still not back to full capacity yet so had her blessing rather than planting it to flowers as she normally does. Indian corn needs to be planted & will put in some carrots yet. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a friend called me and he had enough asparagus for me to fill 2 wide mouth canning jars!!!  good eats coming up!!!    even some wrapped in bacon!!!!!  oh yea!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
a friend called me and he had enough asparagus for me to fill 2 wide mouth canning jars!!!  good eats coming up!!!    even some wrapped in bacon!!!!!  oh yea!!!
did you pickle them???????? i did that a few years......didnt really care for it all that much. now any aspargus gets eaten raw or in tin foil on the grill!!!!!

pulled and cleaned the last of my radishes in the garden..........wiill plant some this fall. laid leaves all around the tomatoes and cuke plants. trying that instead of grass clippings. tomorrow i'm gonna clip all the low growing , close to the ground branches on the maters in hope of stopping that friggin blight!!!!!! :confused:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I was gonna aks ya that when your were gonna prune on the maters. Ours are running between 2-3' tall, was out and helped a few limbs over the next ring. The mulch really seems to help keep the moisture,  they are growing fast , although some of the peppers seem to be lagging.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've been doing it a bit here and there......but tomorrow its #1 on my list!!!!!!!! :happy1: kinda tuckered out today......still not feeling the best and i didnt take a dotch nap!!!!!!1 :pouty: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no pickling, all roasted or grilled!!!!    never had it pickled...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
why the jars then??. I confused?? :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
why the jars then??. I confused?? :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao:

fresh cut bottoms, in 2 or 3 inches of fresh water to keep them fresh!!!!   keeps very good in the fridge!!!