Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Onto total knee replacement  (Read 4871 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Still not back to work yet.  Pain was really bad.  Had a cortisone shot.  Knee pain went away for 8 whole days.  Did the physical therapy.   Made it much worse.  Then I did the 3 rooster comb infections paired with an unloader knee brace.Worked for about a week..    Hurts the same as it did months ago.  Workers comp insurance finally approved me for total knee replacement.  Soonest date I could get was March 20th.   
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck.  The guys that I know that did it are doing great!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Do the therapy!👍

Good luck sir!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Sooo thats why your grumpy...Hang tough! Hope yu have a great knee surgeon. Youll be standing at the back fence again in no time!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
The physical therapy is the key to success for sure. Good luck DK!!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope it goes well for you, dk!!
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup they do darn good stuff now days!!   good luck to you!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck DK! Dang you've been off for a spell, probably need to be retrained when you do go back!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good luck dk! It made a world of difference for my Mom. When she finished her therapy, she wanted to take me for a ride to show me how well she could drive. She backed her Buick out of the garage & smashed it into the rear bumper on my pickup!  :doah: Her knee worked really well though.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Good luck. I had a knee replaced. Had lots of scar tissue. Therapist wasn't tough enough. Had to have some removed. I told the second therapist to get ornery. He was. Much better now.

Every one is different. Make sure you get an ornery therapist to push you.

Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
might i suggest a sports orthopedic therapist........ i've watched my wife and mom go thru knee replacements, my wife went to a sports orthopedic and mom did not......and i Definity noticed the difference!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
might i suggest a sports orthopedic therapist........ i've watched my wife and mom go thru knee replacements, my wife went to a sports orthopedic and mom did not......and i Definity noticed the difference!!!

I'm going through twin cities orthopedic.  Great recovery program
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online markn

• Master Outdoorsman
mm

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I'm going through twin cities orthopedic.  Great recovery program
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
 The warden has had both of hers done. Second one was a harder recovery. It was during covid and they cut out some of the therapy..... not a good idea
 She's fine now but now her one hip is an issue.
Not kneeling anymore is a bummer though. :pouty:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah.....I couldn't kneel either. As a big gardener, this was really tough. After some scar tissue removal and the right therapist I can now kneel. The surgeon told me that over 50% of his patients cannot kneel.

My therapist had me do what they do at Mayo.....
Kneel on a cushion next to the bed to lean on. Then stack and restack 6-8 cups on the floor. Forces your mind to the stacking and not the kneeling.

He also said to have my wife sit down opposite me while kneeling and play catch with a ball. Roll it, toss it one side, then the other. Again forces your mind to concentrate on the catching, not the kneeling.

Keep doing this every day until you can kneel w/o playing the games. Worked for me.
« Last Edit: January 01/25/23, 01:59:04 PM by KEN W »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Good for you, Ken!! :bow: :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah.....I couldn't kneel either. As a big gardener, this was really tough. After some scar tissue removal and the right therapist I can now kneel. The surgeon told me that over 50% of his patients cannot kneel.

My therapist had me do what they do at Mayo.....
Kneel on a cushion next to the bed to lean on. Then stack and restack 6-8 cups on the floor. Forces your mind to the stacking and not the kneeling.

He also said to have my wife sit down opposite me while kneeling and play catch with a ball. Roll it, toss it one side, then the other. Again forces your mind to concentrate on the catching, not the kneeling.

Keep doing this every day until you can kneel w/o playing the games. Worked for me.
If your Catholic, may be you just need to go back to church more for some kneeling therapy!   :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I am Catholic.....but my 3 daughters are now Lutheran. Along with all the grandkids. So When I go to church it is usually with one of them. No kneeling.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Kettle

• Outdoorsman
Well it won't be much fun, one of the more painful orthopedic joint replacement. As everyone has mentioned take physical therapy seriously. You'll be so glad you had it done within 3 months of the surgery. If they don't put you on a bowel regime take a capful of miralax a day. Those opioids bind you up

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well it won't be much fun, one of the more painful orthopedic joint replacement. As everyone has mentioned take physical therapy seriously. You'll be so glad you had it done within 3 months of the surgery. If they don't put you on a bowel regime take a capful of miralax a day. Those opioids bind you up
LPS is our local expert in the getting bound up dept!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: but thanks for the advice!!!!!!! :happy1: its a long story kettle!!!! :doah: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's no kidding.  Opioids can cause such constipation that it is worse than the surgery.  Don't wait and see if you need it.  Take stool softeners from day one.  They are your friend. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's no kidding.  Opioids can cause such constipation that it is worse than the surgery.  Don't wait and see if you need it.  Take stool softeners from day one.  They are your friend.
:happy1: :rotflmao: you got money invested in stool softner companies dont you!!!!! :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Instead of big pharma, Barry is the big stool.  ;)  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Instead of big pharma, Barry is the big stool.  ;)  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

like!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

This thread sure deteriorated in a hurry  :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)