Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Oh, Hell No!!! Submarine Edition  (Read 2418 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
did the Mystery cave tour too!!!   
:happy1: A school field trip for me. :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Even though I grew up not far from it, never been in Mystery Cave. Did however go through what was then called MN Caverns, located north of Spring Valley. Has been renamed Spring Valley Caverns. With COVID & white nose syndrome in bats, a lot of the caves were off limits for a while.
« Last Edit: June 06/23/23, 02:22:22 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
can't recall if we did those caves???    :scratch:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here's a link to Spring Valley Caverns. Had me interested until the politicization towards the end in the form of global warming and climate change sections. Now, no desire to see it again, much like the trout streams I grew up fishing as a lad. 

http://cavepreserve.com/svc.html
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I did the Soudam mine thing with two of my boys years ago. Some of the mine is actually under Lake Vermillion. Still the richest iron ore in the world but it got too costly to get it out of there.

That was an interesting tour.  I did that back when my son was in Boy Scouts.   

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
back in my younger years working for DCI, we where fixing a 60,000 gal tank in Queens NY.  i crawled up the outside in a enclosed ladder to the top. kinda scary but man you could see a long ways even in the smog. felt like you could almost touch the planes overhead!!!! :rotflmao: the ladder did have a cage around it. thik if i remember it was over 100 ft from ground level.

thats the extent of my risk taking!!!
When we were kids my cousin and I would climb the out side of silos. The cement ones with the metal rings. We would race to the top. We also would always see who could get the highest in a tree.  Somehow we survived.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I did the same thing on the silos snd was dumb enough to swing by my hands on the little platform at the top.
One thing I never did that a lot of kids did was hop a boxcar. One kid o knew lost a leg doing that. Another one was luckier—he lost the tip of a shoe but managed to get his toes missed. Looking back, I grew up with a bunch of misfits.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
back in my younger years working for DCI, we where fixing a 60,000 gal tank in Queens NY.  i crawled up the outside in a enclosed ladder to the top. kinda scary but man you could see a long ways even in the smog. felt like you could almost touch the planes overhead!!!! :rotflmao: the ladder did have a cage around it. thik if i remember it was over 100 ft from ground level.

When we were kids my cousin and I would climb the out side of silos. The cement ones with the metal rings. We would race to the top. We also would always see who could get the highest in a tree.  Somehow we survived.

For one summer when I was a lot younger I worked for a company who built them as well as tore them down.  Safety ropes??  Who needed safety ropes? 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Someone's going to hell for this one.....  :doah:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
 :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Hanson Silo was out of Luverne and a lot of guys did that in the summer.  I did not.  Hot grueling work.

For one summer when I was a lot younger I worked for a company who built them as well as tore them down.  Safety ropes??  Who needed safety ropes?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
 :shocked:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!