Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: incoming weather  (Read 115135 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
roony gets all the good rain... :pouty:

Teaser rain here. .19" at both the ranch & in Bugtussle.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
yesterday via radar i was watching that front move closer, yea the one Dotch warned me about!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: as it got closer it split right around us. got enough rain to make the road wet.

last night i was watching some pretty funky looking cloud formations off to the east and south. pretty cool.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
naw maybe tonight for them!!!    :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That's good my mom lives just east of Princeton and she said last weekend they have only gotten 1.5" of rain since spring.

Yep, dry as a popcorn fart. Only mowed grass at the shop once this year.
So I thought you lived in I-falls?  :scratch: You have a shop in Princeton?
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ole Dutchy, he's a jack of all trades  :happy1: :rotflmao:

Mainly pot stirrer!! :rotflmao: :evil: :sleazy:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh. So he has a pot stirring shop.  ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

If you wanna get mote rain you have to treat the weather terrorists nice like Glenn and I do.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

If you wanna get mote rain you have to treat the weather terrorists nice like Glenn and I do.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dats funny roony!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
By golly  :scratch: I sent them weather guys a message telling them what a good job there doing, and low and behold it's raining here now!! :happy1: :sleazy:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
10 drops here, enjoy....  but sure is nice out now!!! 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
.3 late yesterday and .7 this afternoon.  :azn:.  I wish I could say the same for my land. If we don't get some soon my food plots will be a flop. I will have to buy hay bales for the deer.  :sad:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Spent much of my day in cornfields. Pollination looked great. Just a matter if how much ear length we can keep if it doesn't rain soon. System tonite appears like it'll blow by us quickly as it's cooling down so another dry cleaning. About 74 inside & outside. Sitting outside in the breeze.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yep. Peckered again.  :angry:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: that mean you got hailed on again????????

i was talking to my daughter last week, a gal she works with lives up in the holdingford area. she says there's rumors floating around with Ins companies that they may start not covering hail damage unless you add it to your policy alot like florida does with flood Ins.

anyone else hear something like this. it wouldnt surprise me them money hungry crooks!!!!!  :confused:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We drove through a 5-minute gully washer right about your exit on I 35 Thursday night, Dotch. It was hard to even see the road. :crazy: Not certain of the time but we pulled out of the Kwik Trip in Faribault ~2:15.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So by walking through the fields are you the pollinator Dotch.  LOL

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: that mean you got hailed on again????????

:confused:

That post may have been intended for Ramon.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
In the Bugtussle vernacular, "peckered" means getting screwed over. No hail, no rain, no nothing last nite. It did cool down again so at least there is that.

Pollen shed was awful in the first corn field I was in yesterday. Pollen is one of the things that draws rootworm beetles into the field along with the fresh silks to feed on while they're waiting to mate. As part of a larger study, that's why we put the sticky traps out in them, to gauge the levels and species present over a one month timeframe. When the rootworm larvae hatch in late May to early June, they feed on the corn roots. If the feeding is bad enough, it affects the yield & the corn lodges, making it miserable to harvest. There are two main rootworm species we deal with here, westerns and northerns. The western larvae are more voracious feeders but can't take the extremely cold winters. With the warmer winters and ample snowfall, they seem to do just fine however. Northern larvae are less injurious but can survive the cold much better. Once the larvae complete their cycle and pupate, the adult beetles conveniently emerge around the time corn is tasseling. The male rootworm beetles of both species generally emerge before the females so initial captures are usually males. The pollen was so heavy I was caked with itchy yellow pollen after putting the 1st set of traps out. Getting it in your eyes really sucks too, reminding me why I stopped trying to wear contact lenses in the summer. Breathing and coughing up yellow gunk ain't real great either. The Reader's Digest version: Pollen is the rough equivalent of semen in mammals. Pollen grains land on the live silks and a pollen tube grows inside the silk and 2 sperm cells travel down it to fertilize the ova that develops into a kernel. A more detailed yet relatively easily understood in layman's terms explanation of pollination:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/B9780128119716000024

So yes, after being in a pollinating corn field you are literally covered with corn spooey! :doah:
« Last Edit: July 07/29/23, 11:15:14 AM by Dotch »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting! :happy1: but it's the first time I heard Dotch complain about " getting it on".  :sleazy: :smoking: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Interesting! :happy1: but it's the first time I heard Dotch complain about " getting it on".  :sleazy: :smoking: :rotflmao:

If I hurry, I can catch the mailman yet... :coffee:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We drove through a 5-minute gully washer right about your exit on I 35 Thursday night, Dotch. It was hard to even see the road. :crazy: Not certain of the time but we pulled out of the Kwik Trip in Faribault ~2:15.

Ya, looking back on the record here, that one was short-lived. Got only .19" out of it.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Old news now, but early last Friday evening a storm blew threw.  Long story short...  Lightning hit the neighbor's tree behind us, knocked off a big limb, and took out the main, high voltage powerline.  None of the 120v lines or cable were affected.  There were heavy branches causing them to sag, but they weren't broke.

I thought we were going to be without power all weekend, but the crews came out quickly and they had the line repaired and electricity back on by 10PM.  Good crew.  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It is here!!  Raining and blowing here.  Was hot as heck this morning so I put shorts and a T shirt on.  By the time I got rolling it was cooling off.  I just got done with the main lawn and I was cold so came in just before it started raining.  Good timing.  S-O, that is great.  I can't say enough about how great the crew here with North Star Electric is too.  They are good guys and are right on top of things.  Who is your electric provider Steve?  What area?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
humid and cloudy here....   

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We had some light stuff ~ 9:30 but you could barely see it in the gauge when It finished. Started hearing thunder again around 12:30 & the rain started ~ 1. :happy1: :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We got 1/4" of rain out of that front.  Getting dark again.