Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: incoming weather  (Read 114736 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Maybe where glenn dumped his squash & sweet potatoes... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That would be about the color too.   :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hey gunner in your outside travels,  is there a crust under the snow?

Went out and a good crust under about 4 inches of fluffy snow. Hard walking through it.

Shoveled a little hole where the garden is to put a Sheppard hook in, no frost. Mealworm feeder is up. :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just came in from plowing.  I was wondering if our frost went out before the last cold snap.  All of our puddles were gone and it was drying up.  I tried to keep my plow up some cuz I was scraping up sod etc.  All done but I did turn up some dirt. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I haven't been out other than the back of the garage yet today, glenn. The wind is kind of wicked today, but I'll see what the drive is like this afternoon..
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
roads were fairly well covered with ice when I left a little after 8 this morning...  2 1/2 hours later they were getting way better with the sun out...   motion lotion was $3.35 today and my truck was thirsty... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got in here too, it took longer than I thought. Had a malfunction on the Husqvarna, the blower's winch cable snapped where it was probably rubbing on a shroud. Had extra cable on the winch though, so just had to put a new end on it. Pretty light fluffy stuff here & it's blowing around pretty good too.  :scratch: Probably had 1' or more again in spots out back of the garage where it blows off the cabin roof. :rolleyes:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Amazing. It's like another planet down here & where you're at in IA gunner. Snow's gone entirely, has been for several days, ground is thawing where it's black, so it's kinda greasy on top. Poppy is tracking in mud when she's done chasing her squirrels.  :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Wow......Baxter and Duluth got 25 inches last week. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow......Baxter and Duluth got 25 inches last week. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Baxter, I thought they were on the outside edge of the heavy map stuff? 
« Last Edit: March 03/28/24, 11:00:46 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
This snow total map shows Baxter at just about 25 inches. The dark red right in the center.

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snowmap.html?sid=mpx
« Last Edit: March 03/27/24, 06:20:23 PM by KEN W »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
As a wise man once said, good place for it... :coffee:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Still coming down here. The map has Marcell with 9.9 in just the last 24 hours & that's ~ 20 miles east & a little north of us. Northome says 11.6 too & that's ~ 35 miles NW of us. :rolleyes:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally quit snowing here.  So the totals they predicted may not be too far off in some areas.   I am sure we got about a foot here.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I got ours cleaned up today.  We ended up with 10-12".  Its hard to tell as the wind stacked it up pretty good in some areas.  Had the lake not been open we would really have had some drifting.   When plowing today it was coming off in sheets.  Under the snow is powder dry. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
This snow total map shows Baxter at just about 25 inches. The dark red right in the center.

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snowmap.html?sid=mpx
Yeah sumthing not right with these reports.  I think these may be spotter measurement reports and the guy in Baxter tells his wife he is 10" inches when she knows he's only 3"!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: It says only 3" in the St Cloud area and I'm easily looking at 8"-10" inches on my deck!   :coffee:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds about right..  :rotflmao:   That NWS is about the most inaccurate of all but then it does say .GOV in their site name. 

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I’m in Baxter. I don’t know that we got 25”, but I bet it’s close to 20”.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds about right..  :rotflmao:   That NWS is about the most inaccurate of all but then it does say .GOV in their site name. 
:scratch: I don't know, Accuweather is the 1 I hardly ever look at anymore. So, they'd get my vote for the worst. :rolleyes:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I switch from Accu weather to TWC. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I normally use Wunderground.com for daily weather. Also shows a good 10 day forecast.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Forecasters are all hit and miss to some extent. Most run hot and cold streaks. Usually use NWS for the near term & AccuWeather for farther out. Also combine some of the NOAA analysis products for week long precip amounts & likelihood. Find by doing that it helps smooth some of the bumps out in their forecasts. All kinds of guys I glance at on X including BAMX, Eric Snodgrass, SE Minnesota Weather, Minnesota/Wisconsin Weather, Capital Gang Weather & others. Used to enjoy Mark Seeley's take too but once he drank the climate change Kool Aid, he lost credibility.

I've noticed in the data collection & reporting we do for the MN Climatology Dept. that others seem to think it's some kind of contest, particularly when it comes to precipitation. That or they have really poor placement on their gauges. I also have a service on my phone called Climate FieldView that's supposed to tell you how much precip you got based off of radar. They also claim to combine it with observations from those of us recording precipitation. It has gotten better but usually misses the mark on the high side, sometimes by a lot. Their disclaimer is if you think their numbers are off, you should contact them so they can correct it. Seriously? You screw it up and I'm supposed to do your dirtywork for you? I don't think so. I tend to use their services for amusement purposes only.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
for snow totals i like Johndee.com!!!!

otherwise i look at some of the others.....but just to get an idea!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It says it has been snowing here for an hour.  Not a flake and it was 45 degrees a few minutes ago.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no rain or snow here, yet anyway....    radar shows it's in the area, just hitting the ground I guess
« Last Edit: March 03/29/24, 02:46:56 PM by mike89 »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
32 over here in Warroad. Can't see outside though to see if it is snowing
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Down to 42 here now. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok I hate to admit it but it is 36 and snowing pretty good right now.   :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
36 and a few rain drops so far...   

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I've been putting it off for as long as I can. I think this week I'll run all the gas out of the new snowblower.
      Should I change the oil after running it?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.