Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: incoming weather  (Read 140635 times)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
At least they are lowering the predicted rainfall amounts.
Do tomato plants need leaves to be affected by herbicide drift?

Yes.....leaves will start to curl up. I till lawn cuttings into my garden and have to be careful not to get herbicide affected grass clippings in.

Supposed to get 1/2 inch or so tonight.

What leaves?
I don't think those of you that haven't gotten the rainfall and floods that we've had can imagine.
BTW I do know how to grow tomatoes. They would normally be 3 ft tall by now

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
That plant doesn't look like it will make it. I would see if you can still find some somewhere.

Look for tall plants and bury the stem up to the top leaves. The buried stem will grow roots. Only plant I know that does that.
« Last Edit: July 07/01/24, 04:31:51 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
That, of course, is my worst plant. I'm going to leave it and see if it grows new leaves. Yes, I know about planting them deep. At my age its not my first rodeo.
Sorry, my garden makes me crabby this year.
Too wet to transplant even if I could hunt one down. I doubt if I'd find another Sunsugar.
« Last Edit: July 07/01/24, 04:55:47 PM by roony »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
dont blame ya Roony. i got about 4-5 sick looking mater plants and drives me nuts......then the next one to it is healthy as a horse.

i know some of you really dont need rain, and i havent paid much attention to the forecast today but i dug about a 12 inch whole to bury some stuff and i could use i nice rain again, besides i got lot of grass seed planted.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup, it has been one of those seasons. Wind is trying to beat the snot out of things tonite. Oh well, at least it's raining. Gotta start July off right I suppose. I have a Sunsugar. It's in the small garden where it tends to be more well drained and out of the wind. If it comes to fruition, am sure there will be way more than we'll ever eat. I got the stinkeye from the wife after I bought it. Also a yellow pear tomato in the same garden. Both are doing well. Can't remember which one is which though looking from the house. Should probably have another G&T and think about it... :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Good Plan! I haven't completely surrendered. I've seen plants make crazy comebacks. I always plant a sunsugsr for Merrilee.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Rain started here about 4:30 yday afternoon but that didn't last long. We had a 1/2" in the gauge this morning.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:51:33 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Not much here over night. 1 tenth maybe. Supposed to get a little more on Thursday.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Another .46" at the ranch and .70" in Bugtussle proper. Nice for the 4 o'clocks I transplanted Added up the Bugtussle rainfall for May & June, plus what fell overnite. It came to 23.78". Coincidentally, the growing season precip (May - Sept.) for the SROC in Waseca is 23.72". We're not even halfway thru the growing season yet. In yesterday's expedition thru several soybean fields I ran across one that was showing plenty of root disease in the form of dead and dying plants. Likely phytophthora and possibly some fusarium for good measure. The Boy Entomologist will be over next week with some rootworm beetle traps. Hopefully be able to drive out there to get another look at it to confirm my suspicions. No style points if we have to wade thru the mud. Forecast looks ugly again however. Talking another quarter to a half inch today, a quarter to a half in the day on the 4th, another 1" - 2" that evening with a quarter to a half on Friday. Fair chances over the weekend as well. One thing that rings true so far in this area, when the present forecast for 7 days out is calling for 20% - 40% chance of rain, the closer we get the %-chance has almost always increased, the polar opposite of last summer.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:09:19 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
When it does quit raining it will get blazing hot with zero precipitation through the end of the year at which point we will be on the drought watch.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
When it does quit raining it will get blazing hot with zero precipitation through the end of the year at which point we will be on the drought watch.
Good! It's easier to add water than subtract it. At least in my case.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:45:37 PM by roony »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Sis, who lives just outside Austin on the eastern edge of Freeborn County & has I 90 almost in her backyard has had 5 1/4" of rain in the last 10-14 days. :crazy: They got 2 1/2" again last night & they had 2 3/4" back when the flooding started over around Luverne.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:38:01 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes, all of south central MN has had their fair share.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and sadly more later this week I think.... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The good news is they've backed the rainfall amounts down for us in south central MN somewhat. Looking like showers more for afternoon on the 4th with a quarter to a half tomorrow daytime & a tenth to a quarter overnite. Another tenth to a quarter on tap for Friday sounds like. Best chance of rain after that is on Sunday with no amount specified in the written forecast, yet. Looks less worse than it did perhaps.

Here is a link to the most recent update for the mobile app that NWS is working on:

beta.weather.gov.   
« Last Edit: Today at 05:35:24 PM by Dotch »