Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Kansas Bans Trail Cameras on Public Land  (Read 902 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Kansas Fish and Game Commission Bans Trail Cameras on Public Land

On March 9, the Kansas Department of Park & Wildlife (KDPW) Fish and Game Commission voted to prohibit the use of all trail cameras (cellular and conventional) on public lands in the state. The ban, which drew unanimous support from the seven-member commission, will apply year-round on all public lands owned and managed by the state, and it will go into effect before for the upcoming fall hunting seasons.

Speaking during the meeting, Commissioner Gerald Lauber said that trail cameras cause privacy issues and give rise to conflict when used on heavily-trafficked public land in Kansas. “There are some deleterious issues when it comes to trail cameras,” he said. “In some places … cameras are used to spy on other hunters. And some people recoil from [seeing] a camera. They’re private. They don’t want to have somebody take their picture and then have it on Facebook.” Lauber went on to say that trail cameras are sometimes used by hunters as a means of staking claim to a particular section of public land.

:popcorn:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
In MN trail cameras can't be used in WMAs.  I found that out back in 2020. Luckily the CO just told me to remove them.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Kansas Fish and Game Commission Bans Trail Cameras on Public Land

On March 9, the Kansas Department of Park & Wildlife (KDPW) Fish and Game Commission voted to prohibit the use of all trail cameras (cellular and conventional) on public lands in the state. The ban, which drew unanimous support from the seven-member commission, will apply year-round on all public lands owned and managed by the state, and it will go into effect before for the upcoming fall hunting seasons.

Speaking during the meeting, Commissioner Gerald Lauber said that trail cameras cause privacy issues and give rise to conflict when used on heavily-trafficked public land in Kansas. “There are some deleterious issues when it comes to trail cameras,” he said. “In some places … cameras are used to spy on other hunters. And some people recoil from [seeing] a camera. They’re private. They don’t want to have somebody take their picture and then have it on Facebook.” Lauber went on to say that trail cameras are sometimes used by hunters as a means of staking claim to a particular section of public land.

:popcorn:
I can kind of see watching a big buck out on the back 40 and running out there to shoot it.  But cuz people don't want to be caught on camera to bad, don't do illegal shat!  I saw a guy carrying in bags of corn, when he saw my stand already up he dumped a pile on my seat and left!!  At least I had pictures to show the warden! 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks JB, I missed that regulation.  I wonder when it started.  It has been several years since I put cameras out in a WMA.  Had one camera and a few cards stolen.  (Rotten buggers.  :taz: :banghead: training-087 )  But not having cameras out there is probably for the best.  One less thing for folks to argue about when confrontations occur.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks JB, I missed that regulation.  I wonder when it started.  It has been several years since I put cameras out in a WMA.  Had one camera and a few cards stolen.  (Rotten buggers.  :taz: :banghead: training-087 )  But not having cameras out there is probably for the best.  One less thing for folks to argue about when confrontations occur.
It has been on the books for a long time. The reg doesn't say cameras specifically, but says personal property or something like that can't be left on WMA land. I had them on bear baits. Which with bear baits you can have a stand and barrel left there. Why not a camera too??  :confused:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I can go without them as well. There are enough cameras in the world today...I like to think when I'm out in god's country, I'm not being recorded with cameras everywhere. It has nothing to do with illegal activity, I just don't need to be watched and recorder out in the woods....especially if I'm taking a sh!t. LOL

2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner