Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cutting wood  (Read 1327 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone know off had what the forestry services rules are for cutting wood that is not on private property???? pretty sure its either forest service land or government land??

next time i head north i'm going to stop by there office in deer river and ask.........just thought someone might know????/

where i drive into grouse and deer hunt the storms knocked down a pile of poplar trees.........i'm talking 6-7 years worth of campfire wood, and i'd hate to see it go to waste. noone i know of after watching all these years bothers with poplar trees!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Years ago when we heated with wood, we just got a permit from the county accessors office.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Years ago when we heated with wood, we just got a permit from the county accessors office.
not sure how long ago it was but it had to be 20-15 years ago i did inguire about it. at that time you could get a permit but you were restricted to what  they called blowdown areas. the closest one to us was like 20 some miles away. this spot is 5!!!

i've since heard rumors they've lightened up on that with all the storms......

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
With all tge wood jb goes thru he should know ..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Around here they usually charge $10 or something and then you can go cut wood, but yes JB will know the low down on that.  Been years since I did it.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
You would think I would know for the amount of wood we burn. But I believe it is usually $25 permit to cut up to 12 cord. The permit is good for one season. We ourselves have never gone that route yet. But I know plenty that do. Here we get the permit thru the DNR forestry office.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I get permits every year from the National Forest Service. For the last few years they have not charged a fee or issued a paper permit because of Covid, but I’ve heard that they will begin charging again this summer. They’ll issue a paper permit again too, I believe. Since 2020, they just verbally renewed them over the phone.
I don’t have my last permit handy, but the limit is something like 10 full cords for personal use. No cutting of live trees, but any dead or downed trees are fine. I’ve usually got enough logging near me, so I go to the recently logged area and cut from what they leave behind. Usually lots of birch with some maple and a little bit of oak. The lengths are normally 1-6 feet and the diameters 3-12 inches.

I’m burning for heat, so I don’t t take any of the pine, fir, or aspen but there’s plenty of that laying around. I’ve got enough of those things down on my own properly for recreational fires.

It’s really simple.  Get the permit (free right now), stay off private property, don’t take any live wood. The rules are printed right on the permit.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks fishwidow. Any idea when they may start charging?? I don't think I'd hit 10 cords but??

Probably headed up in 2 weeks I'll stop and ask them

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone know off had what the forestry services rules are for cutting wood that is not on private property???? pretty sure its either forest service land or government land??

next time i head north i'm going to stop by there office in deer river and ask.........just thought someone might know????/

where i drive into grouse and deer hunt the storms knocked down a pile of poplar trees.........i'm talking 6-7 years worth of campfire wood, and i'd hate to see it go to waste. noone i know of after watching all these years bothers with poplar trees!!!!!!
You need a cutting permit, but will say.  We heated our wood stove in deer camp for like 30 years with just odds and ends from left over logging piles, which in the Paul Bunyan were every where.   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, I think they will start charging this summer. If I remember right the charge was $20.00 back before Covid. Good deal if you’re cutting a lot. If you just want enough for a few fires, I’d think you scrounge that from someone who’s had wind damage for free. If you were closer I’d give you som 5 year old pine.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
When you cut wood from the landing ofthe loggers you will be cutting a lot of dirty wood.  Which will dull your saw very fast.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
When you cut wood from the landing ofthe loggers you will be cutting a lot of dirty wood.  Which will dull your saw very fast.
yea i know better then to get it from logged out areas!!!!!!!

fishwidow.......guess i'll find out next trip up.......and 20 bucks isnt all that bad!!!! i just hope they allow me to cut it. lot of good firewood just in that one little area!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
yea i know better then to get it from logged out areas!!!!!!!

fishwidow.......guess i'll find out next trip up.......and 20 bucks isnt all that bad!!!! i just hope they allow me to cut it. lot of good firewood just in that one little area!!!
pretty much we just picked up the stove size chunks and split it back at the shack. We weren't collecting and cutting a Winters load! 😉
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Strange how different areas have different rules. A coworker is working on a permit for the last month and he can cut up to 12 cord. Price was $20 or $25. That I don't remember. When we would cut down in the forest we would buy the wood from the loggers at the landing and block it there and haul it home. So we never needed a permit.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Strange how different areas have different rules. A coworker is working on a permit for the last month and he can cut up to 12 cord. Price was $20 or $25. That I don't remember. When we would cut down in the forest we would buy the wood from the loggers at the landing and block it there and haul it home. So we never needed a permit.
after reading all the comments i agree JB, kinda goofy????? still even at $25.00 thats a good deal......ever see what they want for one of them little bunbles at the gas stations?  :crazy: :pouty: it cost me at least a hundy on a good noght and thats not even figuring in the price of my really good beer!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't believe how expensive that is from gas stations.  Makes me a wealthy man..  LOL

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't believe how expensive that is from gas stations.  Makes me a wealthy man..  LOL

only if ya start selling some!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Lps is right, tge bro in law buys it and I just shake my head. The cash I've saved over the yrs doing the work ourselves is mind boggling.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I think about that every time I go to a gas station. I must have thousands of dollars sitting in the woodshed.
Besides, I actually like cutting and splitting wood.  At my leisure, of course.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Lps is right, tge bro in law buys it and I just shake my head. The cash I've saved over the yrs doing the work ourselves is mind boggling.
yep........its nutz what they charge. but all these transport rules are kinda goofy. i could be a millionaire  :sleazy: with all the wood i've cut already!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it is $6 for a bundle and from what I counted it looks like about 6 pieces in each bundle.  SO 2 pieces of wood split up.  Maybe 1.  That is a buck per piece of wood.  They say to gauge a mans wealth look at his wood pile.