Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's eating your guts? Citizen science project for MN deer hunters!  (Read 944 times)

Offline offal_watch

The Offal Wildlife Watching program is a research and citizen science program with volunteer deer hunters throughout Minnesota. The purpose of our research is to better understand what and when Minnesota wildlife species use hunter-provided deer gut piles (also called offal) and to understand how offal affects wildlife food webs. We ask volunteer hunters to set up camera traps on the offal they leave in the field to monitor and capture images of wildlife visitors for one month. We also use volunteers to help classify and identify wildlife in our many thousands of captured images each hunting season.

We’re actively recruiting hunter volunteers before deer hunting seasons start (we can provide project cameras and equipment for use) and are also trying to spread awareness of the project so Minnesota residents can follow our results and the interesting images we capture. If you're a hunter who would like to participate, more information is at: z.umn.edu/offal. To follow project updates follow us on Facebook: Offal Wildlife Watching, Instagram: #offal_watch or Twitter: @offal_watch
« Last Edit: May 05/15/23, 04:26:45 PM by offal_watch »

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I always leave a trail camera on my gut piles and boned out carcasses and find it interesting to see what comes to eat.  With that being said, in my opinion, this "citizen science project" is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to eliminate lead ammunition as an option to hunters.  Just think of all the free pictures they will collect from unwitting hunters to then use as "evidence" to harm those same hunters by reducing their ammo options.  Maybe my tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight, but convince me I'm wrong.

On the plus side I did learn a new word today: offal.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was going to post the same thing savage.

Unfortunately, I bet they get many hunters to volunteer for this all the while, unknowingly, it’s against them.

Better get he word out to fellow forums.

2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline offal_watch

Effect of any type of ammunition is NOT the focus of our research. We are simply focused on understanding how offal affects wild food webs. We do not ask volunteer participants what type of ammunition they use.

We do ask what type of hunting (bow, rifle, muzzleloader) and hunting unit #. We also ask for specific locations of the camera setups but do NOT share that information. Happy to answer any questions prospective participants may have!
« Last Edit: May 05/15/23, 04:25:46 PM by offal_watch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I've put a cam on gut piles for years.  Location plays a role on what comes in.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We get those on ours too. Mostly birds that eat them up. Ravens, eagles and magpies are the common ones.
Hey look your bobber is up!