Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: FISHING REPORT FOR LAKES OAHE/SHARPE PIERRE AREA MAY 1ST THRU MAY 8TH 2023  (Read 764 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
Back to work for me. I am glad to be back on the water especially with a great bunch of guys like the group ramrodded by Rich Grable from Rapid that I am guiding. The group (REPEAT CUSTOMERS) are from all over with Brookings SD And Ute Iowa being home for some. For the most part the weather is cooperating and so are the fish. Limits of walleye with some small mouth /northern every day so this group is going home with full possession limits of nice fish. The bite on Sharpe is in full swing with the spawn about half over. Water temps up to 55 degrees can be found. We caught most of our fish on bouncer/minnow rigs but pitching plastic/jigs and pulling plugs all work. Most of the fish are in ten fow or less and relating to the spawning reefs. So are the boats and there are lots of them so you can fish in community spots with lots of company or do some exploring and find fish a way from the crowds. Lake Oahe is much harder with cold water being the main cause. Temps in the 40's in many areas but 50 degree water can be found. If you want to fish mostly by yourself this is the lake but no boats also means not many fish in the bags. Fish are still deeper but warm weather should improve the fishing as the water warms. It is looking like another great year on Sharpe and I think Oahe will be better in many areas. Oahe is a harder lake to find the fish due to many factors. Bait fish that can be deep water species and shallow shad bait spreading the walleye into different water columns but if big fish hunting is your thing Oahe is more likely to produce. I will post periodic reports this summer in the hope the information will help you out with your trips.

HUTCH'S GUIDE SERVICE
Hutch

« Last Edit: May 05/11/23, 06:24:46 PM by HD »
Good fishing Hutch