Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Catfishing.  (Read 1478 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I sometimes fish lakes for catfish. I seem to be having an issue with weedy lake bottoms. I have tried Carolina

rigs and Santee Cooper rigs primarily.

Today I even tried suspending the baits under a float or bobber. Not much success. I still feel in lots of weeds. I was fishing the south end of Lura Lake in Blue Earth County.

What do you folks use when fishing weedy bottom lakes for catfish.

Thanks.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just curious, been years since I last fished in it, but are there catfish in Lura?  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
never fished the lakes there for kitty's, only the Mn river and the Blue Earth river...   good luck!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Just curious, been years since I last fished in it, but are there catfish in Lura?  :scratch:
There are. Haven't heard of monster cats there. I did see several fish jumping. Looked more like carp, though. Wish I could go  for carp intentionally. Used to go bowfishing for them all the time.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to live for catfishing on the St. Croix.  I always looked for deeper spots and anchored above them so my bait drifted right into the hole.  That is where they hang out.  Waiting for dead stuff to drift past them. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
I, too, usually fish rivers. Fishing lakes is kind of new for me. I mostly fish the Blue Earth, Minnesota and sometimes the Watonwan. I thought I might loose less tackle fishing lakes.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Tried Lura again last week. Too weedy to fish the bottom. It was too windy to try to use a float on the surface.
      I was trying some of that Catfish Charlies dip bait on a 3/0 circle hook. I tried a 1 ounce sinker , about 18" of mono with a float. That didn't seem to help much.
      Any ideas?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Dynamite