Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Let's talk flashlights  (Read 1333 times)

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
In a earlier post I said some people feel like I have a flashlight obsession. I don't feel its a obsession, I just don't think a outdoorsmen can ever have enough flashlights. I currently have 3 that get used the most.
The 1st is a Thrunight Archer 2A 3V - This one uses 2 AA batteries. It has 3 power levels + a strobe setting. The power levels range from 500 down to 17 Lumens. Its small size and range of power settings makes this a excellent small flashlight. I believe the cost was around $30.00
The 2nd one is a OLD surefire E2E Excutive elite. This one was the start of my so called " obsession " with small bright flashlights. This is probably going on 20 + years old now. Back in the day it was considered as really powerful with a 60 Lumens output. The only downside is it uses 2 Lithium batteries. These are a little hard to find and are rather expensive. By todays standards this one is nothing special. The only thing keeping it in use is that its is battle proof. Its taken a beating over the years and just keeps on working.
The 3rd one is my newest addition. It is a Fenix PD36R. This one is rechargable. The power ranges are incredible. It has 5 Power levels + a strobe setting. The power levela range from 2800 down to 30 Lumens. This thing is crazy bright for its size. This one was a little spendy at around $125.00. Lets here what all of you have and use for flashlights.

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
It's only an obsession if you sit and turn it on and off and wave it around in broad day light like my grandkids!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Reminds me of when Joe Soucheray used to be on the radio:  Hail the Flashlight King!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our old friend Rebs showed me the Nitecore NH12.  I got one for me and one for the wife.  Great lights.  They are rechargeable too.  They were about $85. Come with a case and charger I believe.  I may have paid extra for that.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      My edc is a Coast G25. I have several. I got mine at Home Depot. I like simple.
      Now you've made me wonder about my head lamps. Gotta go look.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
Our old friend Rebs showed me the Nitecore NH12.  I got one for me and one for the wife.  Great lights.  They are rechargeable too.  They were about $85. Come with a case and charger I believe.  I may have paid extra for that.

I just checked out that Nitecore MH12. Actually they have the new MH12 Pro. That is a nice looking flashlight and it has a incredible 3300 Lumens. That is Crazy. I may have to add one of those.
Just so we are clear.  I don't have a flashlight Obsession  :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like good reviews on the pro too...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

I just checked out that Nitecore MH12. Actually they have the new MH12 Pro. That is a nice looking flashlight and it has a incredible 3300 Lumens. That is Crazy. I may have to add one of those.
Just so we are clear.  I don't have a flashlight Obsession  :doah:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:yea you dont have a flashlight obsession..........like i dont have a knife problem!!!! :rotflmao: :pouty: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did get a great Nitecore headlamp too.  I have had a few of all different types and this is by far the most comfortable one I have had.  It's a Nitecore HC33.  Also rechargeable.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Humm, never really had a designer flashlight. Maybe that's why I have a lot of them that don't work. lol. Also, I usually lose them before the batteries are used up.  :pouty:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
Humm, never really had a designer flashlight. Maybe that's why I have a lot of them that don't work. lol. Also, I usually lose them before the batteries are used up.  :pouty:
I did notice once I started spending a little $ for them I tended to keep a eye on them better. When I was using cheap ones, I was losing them all the time. Have not lost one that costed better $

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I did notice once I started spending a little $ for them I tended to keep a eye on them better. When I was using cheap ones, I was losing them all the time. Have not lost one that costed better $
I tried that once with a pair of sunglasses.  It worked for a while...   :happy1:  ... until I sat on them.   :pouty:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Flashlights,  headlights and bulbs around the house have come a long ways.  Remember the days when you had a Mag light and you felt you could light up a trail? Lol. Nowadays I have several inexpensive rechargeables around the house,  bright as all get out. A few at the cabin plus the led head lamps are good enough.  Wonder if one can get led bulbs for the boat yet??

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Got a friend that has LED rope lights inside their boat under the gunnel, works great.
« Last Edit: October 10/30/23, 06:07:28 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
We run rope lights in our boats because we troll raps a lot at night this time of the year.  Having them in the gunnel keeps them low enough they are not shining directly in your eyes but yet lights thing up good.  We also placed lights to shine on the bow mount trolling motor because Minnkota cannot seem to understand you cannot see the motor direction at all at night. 

In the past I have always used head lamps as well as the boat lights for close up stuff.  This year I bought a PowerHat and that thing is great.  This one has the light under the brim of the hat without a lot of extra weight or bulk.   There is a switch between the lights that you can just reach up and turn on/off.  You can wear it and most will not even know there are lights there until you need them.  So far it has worked great for tying line and seeing at night.