Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Logger/Logging recommendations  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Glenn_S

• Outdoorsman
My land is located west of Cook and is 72 acres of aspen, black spruce, tamarack, alder and balsam fir. My use is for deer hunting and family fun (wheeling, hanging out). I have my 33ft camper parked there and done a couple of trails. There are 3 beaver dams and I plan to remove 2 of them, leaving the third for the pond. Part of the land is low/marshy and I'm sure that will impact the loggers, but I have seen them go through similar areas before.

I am considering having a logger come in and thin things out, and by that, establish more trails without hand cutting. And of course, maybe make a few bucks from the timber.

Has anyone in that area worked with a logging company? I'm not sure if I bring in a St. Louis County forester or someone else?

Thoughts? Help? Am I out of my mind? This land has not been touched since the mid-90's.

North is to the right in this static picture.

Here is the link to the county site where you can see the land better:
https://gis.stlouiscountymn.gov/PictometryIPAWAB/VisualIpa.aspx?lat=47.77576500714152&lon=-92.92607673275515&lat=47.77576500714152&lon=-92.92607673275515
« Last Edit: March 03/16/24, 10:07:30 AM by Glenn_S »
"I hope we have once again reminded people, that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They will wait till winter when the ground is frozen to cut in the low lands.  If you could find a logger that was already in the area that may help too.  Hasbargens are the big loggers in our area but the move around too. 
« Last Edit: March 03/16/24, 10:06:34 AM by LPS »

Offline Glenn_S

• Outdoorsman
Thanks, LPS. IS this land worth logging? I'm thinking a selective cut, but I don't know if it would be worthwhile for the loggers?
"I hope we have once again reminded people, that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's just it.  When they mobilize all of the equipment they want many semi loads of logs.  So if they are already close they may be able to do a smaller amount for you.  The DNR should have a list of logging projects going on in the area and who the loggers are.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so......a few years ago when they logged the area by the cabin they didnt cut every tree down. i forget what they called it but it seems this is the new thing in logging.

i remember my mom inquiring about logging out are 6 3/4 acres but they wouldnt bother because the area wasnt big enough. like LPS already suggested.....get ahold of the forestry service......they may recommend something or someone. i know there is a push lately to have certain people help you along with this kind of project.

Deadeye did some logging on his property a few years back, maybe he can pipe in, but i know he's busy with tax time now. i've seen the after affects of logged out areas......i wish they'd make them clean it up better!!! :surrender: :bs:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Glenn_S

• Outdoorsman
I read Deadeye's post on logging, but the pics were gone, but I got the gist of it. The land I leased for 9 years near Nickerson was selective cut this past fall and the owner typically did that about every 10-12 years.

I'll have to connect with the DNR in Cook and see what they have to say. Logging it in the winter would be best as it won't affect deer hunting. At the lease this year, they were logging up until the Friday of opener :angry2:

There is logging going on in the area all the time, so I would like to set it up for next winter if I can. I'll also likely contact the St. Louis County forester and see what they say.

Thanks for all the input and I would love to hear more opinions, especially DE.