Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bilge pump Q.  (Read 601 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Shudap muffin head.
What it the better bilge pump, manual ot auto?  Im not gona wire it intonthe counsole so much wire undernthe cant make sense of it.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Shudap muffin head.
What it the better bilge pump, manual ot auto?  Im not gona wire it intonthe counsole so much wire undernthe cant make sense of it.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: maybe your new granddaughter can draw you a picture!!!! :scratch: :moon: :happy1:

are you leaving it in the lake for extended periods????? if not i'd go manual!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 04/08/24, 06:59:12 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Definitely auto. Then if it rains and your boat is in the water or leaks a little the pump will turn on itself.  Auto just means you have a hot wire to the switch and one direct to the battery.  The other is the negative.  SO an auto one has three wires. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Shudap muffin head.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: maybe your new granddaughter can draw you a picture!!!! :scratch: :moon: :happy1:

are you leaving it in the lake for extended periods????? if not i'd go manual!!!!!
Lmao!
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Our '02 Crestliner FH has a manual switch on the console.  :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
On an auto one even if the switch is off it will automatically turn on if water gets in the boat.  You can still use the switch too.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We replaced the pump 4-5 years ago but with our boat on the lift, our boat stays pretty dry. A little will blow in if it rains hard & it's not up high enough but thats rare. If it was just tied to the dock, maybe. :scratch:
« Last Edit: April 04/09/24, 07:41:31 AM by Gunner55 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine is in the water all of the time so it is very important to have one.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I think im gona go with a manuel, just cause its not stayin the water wen not in use, shadup glenn, and i can turn it on or off as needed
78.50"

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Thought I replied to this but not sure where it went.

What kind if boat? 

We went with both.  The autos are nice most of the time.  However one leaf or fine debris will either turn it on and not off or off and not on.   

I would suggest a pump with a cartridge.  That way if it ever fails you just buy a new cartridge and snap in there.  No need to re-plumb it
« Last Edit: April 04/09/24, 10:00:29 AM by Scenic »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Just a nice little 16ftr currently replacing some bad flooring, so being in the down right now i figure id look into things, replace old. Thers 2 pumps, 1 to fill the live well and one to pump out water, the bilge. My idea is to not have the live well pump, but to use it as a ice chest. As it melt it will drain back to the bilge, if it works ill leave it butif not the its out and will have just bilge
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
My idea is to not have the live well pump, but to use it as a ice chest.
:happy1:  Atta boy, Boar!   :toast: :kingscourt:

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a nice little 16ftr currently replacing some bad flooring, so being in the down right now i figure id look into things, replace old. Thers 2 pumps, 1 to fill the live well and one to pump out water, the bilge. My idea is to not have the live well pump, but to use it as a ice chest. As it melt it will drain back to the bilge, if it works ill leave it butif not the its out and will have just bilge

For better ice you could form some Styrofoam board and just fill the seams with spray foam.  Just leave the drain open for melting

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Right my thoughts also!!
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's understandable why you don't need a live well. :sleazy: Good gawd your easy :rotflmao: :smoking:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Why do ya thin i keep sayin shadup glenn, cause you need to shadup glenn!! :rotflmao:
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: i'm truly baffled, and serious.........why in gawds name would you not want a livewell and make it an ice chest?? :surrender: :scratch: :doah: bring a friggin cooler!!!!!!

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I install auto bilge pumps regardless,some states require it and it makes good sense to anyway.
That and if you drink like Glen does you would want an auto bilge for those times you might fall out of the boat when the need to make your sadder bladder gladder normally requires you to stand or aint equipped enough to,er,uh,ahem,just flop it over the side of the boat.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I keep a 1# plastic coffee can in our boat just in case it's rockin-n-rollin when I've gotta go. I use it to dunk my crawlers as well, so they're not quite so messy. I don't always have cooler full of beer in the boat these days though.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :scratch: i'm truly baffled, and serious.........why in gawds name would you not want a livewell and make it an ice chest?? :surrender: :scratch: :doah: bring a friggin cooler!!!!!!

An additional cooler takes up room.  I spray foamed the outside of my front livewell so when it gets hot I can use it as a cooler rather than have fish die and sit in warm water.   

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
There's rarely more than 2 in my boat, so there's plenty of room for my little soft sided 6 or 12pk cooler.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

An additional cooler takes up room.  I spray foamed the outside of my front livewell so when it gets hot I can use it as a cooler rather than have fish die and sit in warm water.
there's ALWAYS room for a beer cooler!!!!  :happy1: :rotflmao: thing is nowadays when i travel to different lakes we still have a little refreshment cooler but no beer just water or sodas!!! not going down that road not more. :tut:

i generally bring a cooler with i have designated strictly as a fish cooler. we put the fish in that with some water, then dump whatever ice and cold water in the fish cooler to bring back  to the cbin!!! does a good job of keeping the fish fresher.

and like Gunner rarely are there more then 2 in the boat.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Usually over memorial weekend we'll anchor at some point over fish and go vertical.  Sometimes it's 4 adults and 3 dogs,  we've had to break off the fish to bring the ladies to a bathroom so we keep the beverages to a minimum.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I use a little soft side cooler with my frozen shiners and my bottle of water.  I wait and have a cocktail when I get home.  I use my livewell all year.  I like to cut the gills on the fish right before I head for the dock and leave the pump on and plug out so it rinses the fish and livewell. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Usually over memorial weekend we'll anchor at some point over fish and go vertical.  Sometimes it's 4 adults and 3 dogs,  we've had to break off the fish to bring the ladies to a bathroom so we keep the beverages to a minimum.
fill the beer cooler and bring a 5 gal bucket fer the ladies!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

no charge for the expert advice!!!!!!!! :happy1: :sleazy:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thats good cauae we all would demand a refund!!!!
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thats good cauae we all would demand a refund!!!!
:mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If the beer cooler isn't full then I aint going fishing with you!!  :tut:   Only exception is Canada cause there messed up rules  :crazy:  In my boat I keep a little red bottle thingy that you wiz in and it has a cap, dump it out and rinse it in the lake.