Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Prepping for turkey hunting  (Read 768 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I have a variety of turkey decoys. The style I find easiest to use are the foam ones that I can fold up and carry in my backpack. A few years ago when I was getting more and more of my kids out trying turkey hunting I purchased a few of the $10 foam style hens and jakes. I have never been very impressed with the hen color pattern. I thought I would try giving a couple of these hen decoys a cosmetic facelift. I stopped down at the local Ace and bought a couple cans of mis-tint quart cans of paint for $1.00 each. What do I have to lose?

The first picture is a before photo.
The second is the after alterations.
The third is a picture of the after in natural light.

I do have to say stepping back 15-20 yards, it looks better than they did before.

I took a black fine tip magic mark and drew in the wrinkle lines on the neck and head, I added a little pink color to the bottom of the neck where it transitions to brown, I colored in some white on the ends of the winds, and I also used the black magic marker on the tail. My season here in the Black Hills opens on April 27th. We'll see how these work.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I forgot to say we have Merriam's out here in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck!!!   and they look good!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Well done!  I've touch-up painted some of my decoys.  I used some metallic colors from Hobby Lobby that give a little extra sheen in spots.  I'm pleased with the results, but as always - the turks decide for themselves.  I really like the way you took a $10 deke and made it look like a million bucks.   :happy1:  The head makes all the difference in my opinion.

Perhaps dekes are more important when you hunt wide open fields where the birds can see for a country mile.

Sometimes, when I'm in the woods in SE MN, I have just as much success without dekes.  Toms know where the sounds comes from and they are sometimes apt to stick arounds a little longer looking for the source when there are no dekes to distract them.

Online Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Looks awesome Junkie! I also prefer the foam style but you’re 100% correct, the color is pretty blah.

Someday, I’d love to get out there and get a Merriam.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner