Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sturgeon Fishing is Hot  (Read 2502 times)

Offline lakeofthewoodsmn

• Master Outdoorsman
On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over.

Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year.

The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released.

With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic.

On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River. 

Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.

To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.

The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st. 

Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release
April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season
May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release
May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed
July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season

If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75").

Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait.

Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.

A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!

Lodging, small boat guide trips, charter trips and summer trips are available at www.LakeoftheWoodsMN.com/Lodging.
« Last Edit: April 04/15/24, 05:54:13 PM by HD »

Online Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am head to Missouri to try for some paddle fish Thursday and might be changing my location after reading this report.  Thank you. Not sure if that should be sarcastic or not.  :bonk: Depends on what the rest of the group has to say.
Nice report.

Online Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We are now headed to Rainy River Thursday for sturgeon. I have never been on Rainy River. I have all the gear. I just don’t know much about the area. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Just watch out for that guy in Baudette named Barry.  ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
got that right!!!    one party animal!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
He likes to spy n boats..lol. just remember the original poster like to " juice" the reports up a bit in his or her area.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have my binoculars by my chair.  My wife took down the spotting scope.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I have my binoculars by my chair.  My wife took down the spotting scope.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:scratch: :scratch: why???? still to cold for bikini's!!!!!! :confused: :rolleyes:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Some stuff went bad so I only got a little time on the water. But got a lot of little sturgeon (18"-28"), along with some large ones (61”, 59.5”, 56.75”. 56.5”). I need to finish building my new sturgeon rod. They took every bit of the rod I was using. So happy we went. Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: April 04/22/24, 10:47:27 AM by Rodwork »