Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: My first homebuilt enclosed deer blind.  (Read 644 times)

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Over the past years I have accumulated items that I planned to use for an enclosed deer blind. I got the base from an old ramp my brother gave me. I cut the (very heavy) 5'x12' down to 5'x8" and will use the remaining 3'x5' piece for the porch. Several years ago, a friend removed a relatively new deck, and I purchased the boards for $200. I had a friend rip the decking boards and use them for the framing. The 2x4's and 2'x6's were used for headers etc. I got one of the 4 windows out of a stand that was left on a piece of property i purchased 8 years ago. I bought the other three for $200. I got the door from a friend who wanted me to clean out his garage. The 4x4 supports are reclaimed from a fort we built for my grandson years ago. The roofing, ice and water and shingles are from left over material when my hailed-on roof was replaced two years ago. The paint was left over from the shed I built at the land 9 years ago. I purchased the 4x4 brackets for $130, wall paneling for $216, and assorted bolts and screws bringing my total cost to just over $800. I'm surprised it cost that much being I use a lot of stuff I already has or was given to me. However, this stand has a 50-year life expectancy and the 5'x8' size will easily accommodate multiple hunters. I should be great for mentoring new hunters. To ease getting the stand in place, I built it with the walls temporarily connected can easily be disassembled into the base and 4 walls by removing a few screws. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice!  How high up are you going to put it?

Part of me is also surprised by the cost and part not.  Any time you start to do something like that the costs accumulate.  Whenever I pass by those places that sell prefab plastic elevated deer stands I'm always tempted to ask, "Who would pay that much for a deer stand."  But then when you get to the point where you want to build your own enclosed stand, you have to say, "Oh.  Now I get it."   :embarrassed:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Looks weatherproof and roomy. Hope you have the chance to spend many hours in there, hunting, teaching and making great memories. For you and the future hunters.
      Good job.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I love it! Turned out great! Well done Deadeye!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN